FTC to Kill Amplifier Rule: Help us Protect it by Feb 16th, 2021!

Should the FTC Amplifier Rule Stay Active?

• Yes. Let's hold manufacturers accountable with Truth in Power

Votes: 46 90.2%
  • Doesn't Matter. It's never been enforced anway.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • No. Let manufacturers boast claims to feed my fragile ego.

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
this might work ...........

I see the Mephisto Solo is spec'd to deliver 9000 watts at 1/4 ohm! Is that realistic even? I mean, will it operate cleanly and correctly with impedance that low?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I see the Mephisto Solo is spec'd to deliver 9000 watts at 1/4 ohm! Is that realistic even? I mean, will it operate cleanly and correctly with impedance that low?
I believe that spec was intended for the shop and arc welding ......:eek:

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I think you'll need one of these...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I've not posted a comment, nor will I, on the FTC site as I live in EU, but for sure this will affect us as well if the rules are changed as this will impact the performance of the receivers I'll buy in the future.
I would- ultimately, the specs WILL affect everyone.

Mikehark

Mikehark

Audiophyte
Gene: Thanks for the heads-up. I wholeheartedly support this. I can remember the false advertising of the early '70s when amplifier manufacturers stated peak power ratings. It was ridiculous. It was similar to the way telescopes were rated at 1,000X magnification, but they forgot to tell you at that magnification, you can't see anything. Anyway, I believe the FTC is there to prevent false claims from being made and this regulation is not obsolete. - Mike Harkins, Austin, TX - BTW, I posted a comment.

P

Pace

Audiophyte
As a long time pioneer class D3 user, I'd say their way of specifying total output power is pretty nice aswell. They guarantee the of total output regardless of channels driven (limited by the per channel spec aswell naturally); for example for the SC-LX904 it is 880W.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I've long appreciated that NAD gives truthful All Channels Driven values with all current AVR's.

DmanVet

DmanVet

Audiophyte
Attention citizens of these great United States of America! Your country needs YOU to speak out on behalf of consumers and the future of hi-fi audio. The Federal Trade Commission is presently reviewing its amplifier power ratings regulation, or "Amplifier Rule", and we need YOU to participate in the review with citizen public comment by February 16th, 2021 or we may lose this ruling forever.

In this article, Audioholics will show YOU how you can tell the FTC that we need to maintain and modernize stringent standards in manufacturer's published power ratings. Learn how YOU can help protect fellow Americans from false claims and dishonest marketing, and help the industry grow through honest reporting. Find out how YOU may even help update the Amplifier Rule to make it more relevant to today's popular multi-channel amps and receivers. You're just a click away from being one of the great Americans taking action on behalf of your great republic.

Read: FTC May Kill Amplifier Rule: Help Keep Consumer Protections in Place

Click here to leave your comment by February 16th, 2021: Trade Regulation Rule Relating to Power Output Claims for Amplifiers Utilized in Home Entertainment Products
Done! Gene, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

A

afelcandy

Audiophyte
I've not posted a comment, nor will I, on the FTC site as I live in EU, but for sure this will affect us as well if the rules are changed as this will impact the performance of the receivers I'll buy in the future.
I live in Brazil and yesterday endorsed Gene's appeal and posted my comment right there in the FTC website.

I

iraweiss

Enthusiast
Done.

You can read my comment at the FTC site. I prefaced it with my background as a purchaser since 1965 and referenced the wild, wild west of amplifier specifications before the FTC stepped in.

R

rolf.taylor

Enthusiast
Done:
History has proven that industry can only be kept honest by regulation. This was true before the FTC originally regulated amplifier power ratings. It is also true in the car audio industry who's manufacturer's consider themselves exempt from current FTC amplifier rules.

This phenomena is also true in other areas. After having problems I recently measures the output off all of my USB chargers and discovered that more than half had deceptive ratings.

Therefore, as a consumer, I beseech the FTC to regulate power output claims for multi-channel audio systems. The laisez faire approach does not work. It is completely unreasonable to expect consumers to make these measurements. Even most repair shops are not set up to measure more than 2 channels simultaneously. First the FTC must promulgate rules. These will assure uniformity of ratings from various manufacturers, Secondly, it must use its regulatory powers to enforce these rules and make cheating unprofitable with sufficient enforcement and suitably high fines.

I expect my tax dollars to be spent to protect me as a consumer. I don't want them used to assist manufacturer's.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I expect my tax dollars to be spent to protect me as a consumer. I don't want them used to assist manufacturer's.
Good luck with that; he who has the biggest budget to purchase lobbyist's is the one who reigns supreme.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis