FTC to Kill Amplifier Rule: Help us Protect it by Feb 16th, 2021!

Should the FTC Amplifier Rule Stay Active?

• Yes. Let's hold manufacturers accountable with Truth in Power

Votes: 46 90.2%
  • Doesn't Matter. It's never been enforced anway.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • No. Let manufacturers boast claims to feed my fragile ego.

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
As a Canadian, I would also like to chime in but will wait for Gene's response to a PM I sent him.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I've reached out to the moderators at ASR, AudioNirvana, HomeTheaterForm, AVSForum, and HomeTheaterShack to set up something similar and posted this thread in the request as a background. I will post back if/when I hear back from them.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I'd like write a comment, but being a Canadian it would be the equivalent of "Russian Meddling". Although, I'd like to meddle because I'm pretty sure the US sets a baseline standard for the Canadian market on things like this, where the Canadian equivalent will try to one-up the American rule due to our national self-image problem.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You must be new to the site to make a comment like that. We do what we can but our resources are limited.
And even with an accurate & honest review, some people won't like it because it doesn't agree with what they believe, regardless of whether they actually understand.

highfigh

highfigh

I was scratching my head wondering who that comment was directed at... striving to be objective as possible with tests and measurements is kinda what you guys do. Even at the expense of hurting the occasional feelings, lol.
But it's not reviews that will be affected- it's marketing of the components that needs to be honest. Some specs seem to have come from a bunch of used car salespeople, as if the movie 'Used Cars' was a training film.

highfigh

highfigh

I'd like write a comment, but being a Canadian it would be the equivalent of "Russian Meddling". Although, I'd like to meddle because I'm pretty sure the US sets a baseline standard for the Canadian market on things like this, where the Canadian equivalent will try to one-up the American rule due to our national self-image problem.
But, as usual, you Canadians would be very polite, right?

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic

I was happy to submit a comment asking the FTC to preserve and improve these regulations to reflect modern multi-channel amplifiers.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
I still want an amplifier that I can use for welding. o_O
I thought wiring a dedicated 20A circuit for my receiver and amp was nice. I guess I can use the 50A circuit in my garage for this if you find one

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I added my 2 cents in after checking with Gene. Go for it.

J

joeren223

Audiophyte
I left a comment on the FTCs webpage. Before the regulations were in place, I remember trying to explain to people, why they don’t have the amplifier power that they thought they bought. Julian Hirsch taught me will. Thanks for ringing the alarm Gene.
Cheers
Joe

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I still want an amplifier that I can use for welding. o_O
this might work ...........

highfigh

highfigh

this might work ...........

In the early '80s, Perreaux came out with a new model of power amp that was rated for some unusually high current at its output voltage, with "Power- adequate" shown on their spec sheet. I may still have a copy around here- I saw it at CES.

highfigh

highfigh

I thought wiring a dedicated 20A circuit for my receiver and amp was nice. I guess I can use the 50A circuit in my garage for this if you find one
I have a subpanel in my garage for my power tools and I installed two types of 240V outlets. I only have one circuit for that voltage, but I can use it for my table saw or welder just by unplugging the power cords which, BTW, ARE 10ga because I want them to meet the approval of auidiophiles.

highfigh

highfigh

I forgot to mention- I suspend the power cords with sky hooks because I don't want anything in the ground to affect the performance.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
As a Canadian, I would also like to chime in but will wait for Gene's response to a PM I sent him.
I've not posted a comment, nor will I, on the FTC site as I live in EU, but for sure this will affect us as well if the rules are changed as this will impact the performance of the receivers I'll buy in the future.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis