Frustrated with my setup

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What the hell am I saying anyways?!
I think I'm still feeling the effects of the party! Having read through some of the responses of how loud it was playing, I felt that maybe I had posted them wrong originally but now that I think about it I've never played my setup louder than +5db. It reads around -20db normally and then gets louder as the numbers go lower down to 0 and then starts going up again to +5db. Geez, I'm wacko this morning!

Thanks for that reality moment!
Even just at +5, using ipod, music mode for as long as you did playing compressed music I am glad you did not incur more damages. You need much more powerful amps (pro amp will be best), and bigger Klipschs. Until then, please set up a fan or two to blow right on top of the 3312. Now I have more respect for those 27 lbs AVR, it just shows that if the design is good it does not always have to be too heavy.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
For outdoors, I would just get some JBL Pro speakers. I don't think extreme music clarity is the primary objective with outdoor music. :D
Yeah, the DJ is my brother-in-law and he has the JBL Eons with the stands and Behringer EP4000 amp.

When I look these up they say that they are self-powered speakers, so why would you need another amp?

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
For outdoors, I would just get some JBL Pro speakers. I don't think extreme music clarity is the primary objective with outdoor music. :D
That's what I did. The JBL Control 28s. Actually they sound pretty good outdoors. And they've lasted even in my harsh salt climate. Actually after two years just replaced the first pair, have the old pair in a bag... they still work they were just rusted, think I should contact JBL? The warranty is 2 years, I might be a little over or a little under. For reference purposes, I tried all kinds of stuff before, best I could get was maybe 4 months (I'm right on a salt water bay).

Yeah, the DJ is my brother-in-law and he has the JBL Eons with the stands and Behringer EP4000 amp.

When I look these up they say that they are self-powered speakers, so why would you need another amp?
For temp use outdoors, that's fine. But, amps outdoors aren't a good mix over time. Thing with amps is they kinda last forever/a long time/don't date themselves quickly, so, why not keep it indoors so it actually does, then you have an amp for this type of thing for a long time to come. Just run two or four speaker cables and mount the JBLs. They have great output. Subwoofers outside, unless you go really big, I've found to be a waste. Better off running more of these since they go down pretty low. Also if you have a patio, mount them in the ceilings corner and you get some extra gain. :) I played with this with mine and got 2dB EACH SPEAKER just basically using the top corner to create a sort of horn. And it's not a critical listening space, but, it sounds pretty good. Let's put it this way: the neighbors would be really really pissed if I cranked it up at night (lucky for them I mostly use them to play ambient type music at low volumes to try and get laid).

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Oh, over my budget for outdoors, but these things ROCK!

Marine Audio - Enclosed Systems - Enclosed Full-Range Systems

Heard four of them playing outside. It's a 10" subwoofer with a 7.7" midrange and a 1" tweeter. You amp the sub separate from the coaxial, so needs two pair of speaker wire to each. But, man, doing it over again, these are fantastic.

All fiberglass so no worries of rust, and the drivers are IP67 marine made here in Florida. Basically every high end boat (even shitty ones aftermarket, since a good sound system is like the most important thing at a sandbar lol) uses JL speakers here, they are actually purpose built for marine rather than a car audio driver converted.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Thanks. These look great and I could mount them in the eaves of the gazebo pretty easily.

At $1000+ each speaker I think I might try and look around for the JBL EONS and just set them up on their stands each time. I've seen some deals on people trying to get out of their DJ business that come with storage bags, stands, amp, mics and mixer for some reasonable prices.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

If they are powered speakers, you won't need an amp. They do have other JBL pro speakers that are passive and you do need amps for them.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
1) the RF-7 has a sensitivity of 101dB/2.3V/m.
I had a discussion with a speaker designer on AVSforum about the RF7 specs, and I think he made a pretty good case that the Klipsch RF7 specs are badly exaggerated. Here is where the relevant discussion begins.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I had a discussion with a speaker designer on AVSforum about the RF7 specs, and I think he made a pretty good case that the Klipsch RF7 specs are badly exaggerated. Here is where the relevant discussion begins.
Now I guess I wouldn't think that any other manufacturer of other things would ever mis-represent the truth a little now would they? We have lawsuits every other day for false advertising, why haven't Klipsch been taken to court for ths?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
We have lawsuits every other day for false advertising, why haven't Klipsch been taken to court for ths?
Unfortunately, there are no established and enforced rules as to how loudspeaker specifications must be reported. Sensitivity specs for example can be skewed heavily with things like in room vs anechoic figures and what frequency range is used to arrive at the number. Add in fudging the impedance specification, and you get a royal mess.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis