Fried my SVS PB12-Plus...AGAIN.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Re: my other thread about trying to improve my bass response. I'm fighting an issue with the Velodyne SMS-1 where it drops out all the low frequencies. The only way that I've found to get the Velodyne operating properly again is to raise the output volume until it starts working again. This does, admittedly, give a pretty strong signal to the subs when it kicks back in.

The last time I had to do this, I'm sure I blew the amp in my SVS again. I don't know what it is about the SVS amp that it keeps blowing like that. The Hsu STF-3 was running on the same output signal as the SVS at the time and it's working just fine.

So now my PB12-Plus is just a pretty lump in my living room again even as the Hsu continues to do what it's always done. Now I will have to buy an amp for the PB12 because I'm pretty sure that the Velodyne is faulty and is partly responsible. But it pisses me off that the SVS keeps frying but the Hsu continues working properly.

The SMS-1 is removed from the system again since I can't trust to work or to not fry my other equipment.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Bummer! I don't want to fry my SVS PB12-Plus and I run it pretty loud. How is SVS CS about replacement/repair ? Hope you can get it fixed fairly painless $$.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I am sorry to hear this happened , I hope you get to the bottom of this problem and of course a repair/replacement for your SVS, suczz big time.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard that the SMS and SVS subs don't work well together. Sorry to hear it man.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sorry to hear that Dave. That is sh!tty... At least you have the HSU to keep you bassy to some extent until you can get it fixed.

Even though you say the Velodyne is to blame, is it possible that you can get the amp replaced on warranty? I am guessing if you were using SVS's version of the sub EQ and you had the same problem, they would cover it. Perhaps if they won't, Veoldyne might?

Sorry again...

TheFactor

TheFactor

Bummer Dave :( sorry to hear that and please keep us updated on everything .

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I've heard that the SMS and SVS subs don't work well together. Sorry to hear it man.
I don't know why that would be true but there sure could be something to it since this is the second time the SVS fried and the Hsu had no effect. What does the SVS have that other subs don't? On the other hand, I can't imagine what line level signal would cause a subwoofer to fry in any case. My master volume wasn't anywhere near max and the LFE output was at -6.0dB.

I don't know what I'm going to do now. These amps are expensive and so too I imagine are the drivers. Last time, I had to replace both the amp and the driver. I'm still within the warranty period but I'm not sure how that might play out given the circumstances surrounding the Velodyne. Like I said, I don't know what to do but I guess I'm going to have to give Sonic Boom a call in any case.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would be looking for an upgrade, not replacement. Ask SVS about possibilities. It may not be the fault of SVS, but they may be willing to spread the pain a little and give you a little discount on the new amp.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry to hear that... maybe it's time to sell the SMS and get the SVS eq.

Matt34

Matt34

Dave, what do you mean the SMS is dropping all the low frequencies?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Is the SMS clipping at the line level?

The HSU might have protection circuitry (a limiter) and the SVS might not?

Just a possibility.

Do you or a friend have an oscilloscope to put on the end of the SMS?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know why that would be true but there sure could be something to it since this is the second time the SVS fried and the Hsu had no effect. What does the SVS have that other subs don't? On the other hand, I can't imagine what line level signal would cause a subwoofer to fry in any case. My master volume wasn't anywhere near max and the LFE output was at -6.0dB.

I don't know what I'm going to do now. These amps are expensive and so too I imagine are the drivers. Last time, I had to replace both the amp and the driver. I'm still within the warranty period but I'm not sure how that might play out given the circumstances surrounding the Velodyne. Like I said, I don't know what to do but I guess I'm going to have to give Sonic Boom a call in any case.
I don't know either, but another member on here that I've talked to ended up getting rid of his SMS after having issues that he discussed at length with SVS over. It had something to do with the amps, but I don't recall the exact issue.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Dave, what do you mean the SMS is dropping all the low frequencies?
When I tune the subs, the graph looks something like this:

For no apparent reason, the bass randomly drops out. Last time it happened, I graphed the response and it looked something like this:

I have no explanation for this.:confused:

Matt34

Matt34

Wow, that's crazy.

You might want to post this over on AVS forums sub woofer section, in the Velodyne thread. There is a Velodyne Rep that keeps up with that thread, he might be able to shine some light on your situation.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I would see if you could get Velodyne to ante up. It looks like their equipment is at fault. Won't hurt to try.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I have been watching this thread and have been just shaking my head! I have a number of observations on this and the use of subs in general by a lot of forum members.

First of all, I'm certain the Velodyne had nothing to do with blowing up the SVS sub directly. Increasing the volume likely did. There is no way an input could blow another device, without the offending device being totally dead, even then the possibility would be remote.

There have been a significant number of SVS amp failures lately, so those amps are likely not among the most robust. Not only that, but I notice sub failures are commoner than in any other piece of equipment, with receivers running them a second.

However I'm getting the impression that a lot and may be most member's systems are set up in a bazaar manner.

How to I come to this conclusion.

Again and again, I hear the sub does all the work!

Enormous power devoted to subs in proportion to the rest of the system.

The sub relieves the receiver of most of the work.

All the above is utter rubbish and nonsense. If it is so, then the subs are far far too loud.

The fact is there is bugger all musical content in sub range, in classical music practically none and then occasionally. The bass drum is sounded intermittently. The double basses have low acoustic output. 32ft organ stops are not present on most organs, and then generally used as a soft underpinning or brief punctuation.

In pop music instrument speakers have an F3 of around 60 Hz. The bass guitar is often directly connected to the mix, which makes for an artificial situation, but I doubt the artist desire it to dominate. Synth's can present continuous low frequencies and have a power spectrum natural instruments do not.

Then we have movies. I'm not aware of any movie that has continuous explosions. In any event movies are mixed in an artificial bazaar manner with a 20 db boost to the LFE channel which is likely a big contributor to what I have noticed.

Now I attend many concerts and have made quite a large number of professional recordings. I know I have a good sense of correct musical balances. I can assure you that for music the power bandwidth is not in sub range. There is little power there. If there is then your balance is wrong. The power bandwidth is concentrated between 150 and 1500 Hz. That is were power is required.

Now the next issue is that subs are a slight of hand and really most of them are too small for the bandwidth they are reproducing. What I'm getting at is, that because of aesthetic requirements for small size they are inefficient. So if continuous high spl is to be expected from them, the failure of amp and drivers is to be anticipated.

The way my system is set up the bass amps run coolest. Yet if there is a call for bass it shakes the floor literally. Playing most of the music I listen to the amps produce virtually nothing. If you switch out all the amps producing sound above 80 Hz, most of the time I hear little.

So I'm pretty certain these subs that are failing are turned up to unrealistic levels.

I go to concerts often, and the bass is light and never intrusive. I have the strong impression that subs are being set at levels that have nothing to do with realistic reproduction and that, that is a root cause of the problem.

The Velodyne drop out I'd bet is some sort of protection kicking in. Velodyne subs are highly inefficient with a lot of Eq. so I would expect a lot of protection to kick in if levels are set improperly.

TheFactor

TheFactor

TLS GUY those are all very good points and just out of curiosity what are you running your frequency cut off at 50 or 60 and are you setting your speakers to large ? I've found mine seems to sound the best with freq set at 80 and all speakers set to small. Are you saying at those setting im over working my sub/amp ?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
TLS,

I understand what you are saying. In my case, what I'm trying to achieve is a flat bass frequency response that is seamlessly blended with the mains. As you can see in the first pic, the SMS-1 is set at 30% volume. With the subs at less than a quarter gain and the LFE signal from the receiver at -6.0 dB, you can see that I am not trying to overload my system with bass.

The only reason that I turned the Velodyne volume up is that that is the only way that I've found to restore the Velodyne from the condition in the second photo. I tried to reset the Velodyne this way with both subs switched off to prevent any damage but that proved to have no effect. Even then, I'm not sure what line level signal would cause the subwoofer to fry like this unless as you say, the SVS amps are not that robust.

I will try to call Sonic Boom today. I'm back on midnight shift and their office hours are in some conflict with my sleep schedule.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
TLS,

I understand what you are saying. In my case, what I'm trying to achieve is a flat bass frequency response that is seamlessly blended with the mains. As you can see in the first pic, the SMS-1 is set at 30% volume. With the subs at less than a quarter gain and the LFE signal from the receiver at -6.0 dB, you can see that I am not trying to overload my system with bass.

The only reason that I turned the Velodyne volume up is that that is the only way that I've found to restore the Velodyne from the condition in the second photo. I tried to reset the Velodyne this way with both subs switched off to prevent any damage but that proved to have no effect. Even then, I'm not sure what line level signal would cause the subwoofer to fry like this unless as you say, the SVS amps are not that robust.

I will try to call Sonic Boom today. I'm back on midnight shift and their office hours are in some conflict with my sleep schedule.
Thanks for the follow up.

First of all an RCA connection is a one way connection. The interesting thing is that the Velodyne only corrects if the other subs are connected, so the reason it is kicked back to life is from vibration from the other subs. It sounds as if there is a loose connection or dry solder joint. I think the use of the high outputs from the other subs is akin to thumping the TV to bring back the picture.

Now I have had a closer look at your graph especially the Eq settings.

I notice that form 63 to 100 Hz there is a 6 db increase on your settings, I doubt that is the room.

I think this is due to your mains cutting off too soon. With those settings your sub is not 12 db down until 200 Hz, and not 24 db down until 400 Hz!

So you are using your sub for a good deal of the diffraction compensation of your mains, whether you realized it or not. I suspect that this may be happening more often than I thought and consuming the power, since subs by their nature are so inefficient.

That reinforces my view that Lucas Labs are misguided in advising speakers be set to small most often. I think any speaker with reasonably robust drivers and an F3 below 60 Hz should be set to large, and the sub just used to fill the roll off of the mains in particular. Your mains should be much better suited to reproduce the frequencies above 60 Hz than your sub.

I'm going to answer the question raised by "TheFactor" here, as it is on topic.

As most of you likely know my big system does not have a sub in the sense that most of you understand a sub.

These speakers contain two transmission lines, with the longer winding round the back of the smaller.

The smaller line with the MTM driver arrangement has a calculated and measured F3 of 44 Hz. The line is allowed to roll of acoustically there is no electrical cut off to the drivers, so it is analogous to a large setting of mains.

Since the baffle is narrow and swept back there is a step response.

The lower line has a calculated F3 of 27 Hz with second order roll off. The measured F3 because of room gain, I suspect, is 22 Hz

So the lower 10 inch drivers are fed from different amps. The upper driver has not only bass duty but also provides the diffraction compensation for the MTM drivers.

The lower driver is cut off second order above 80 Hz to prevent comb filtering issues.

The amps driving the lower drivers gets a lot less warm than the the amp that also has to provide the diffraction loss. In view of where the power distribution curve actually is, this should not be surprising.

The center channel is a line with a calculated F3 of 47 Hz, measured it is around 43 Hz. Diffraction compensation is active. The speaker plays full range and is allowed to cut off acoustically.

The surrounds are sealed units with an F3 calculated and measured at 53 Hz. Since they are sealed roll off is second order. They are allowed to roll off acoustically.

The rear speakers have a bass response that a lot of subs would envy.

They are again dual lines, biamped. The F3 is 35 Hz second order, so there is good output to 25 Hz. They of course are not rolled off. They really get to show off their stuff in some of the multichannel SACDs I have.

The question of sub setting on my other system, was explained in a recent thread, so I will copy it here: -

Those subs were made for a purpose. Being isobarik and coupled cavity, they are very inefficient.

I built them to splice to the speakers that are now my surrounds, that I used to use on location recording. They are sealed with an F3 of 53 Hz. Band pass subs have a second order roll off high and low pass acoustically.

Also in a band pass sub, the designer has precise control of Q. So I could extend the bass, without, making it at all boomy

The current speakers use the venerable KEF B 139s on a ported enclosure. I know these driver s very well after thirty plus years using them. I can really mask the fact the enclosures are ported, and they have an alignment that is first order stating at about 100 Hz, so -3db is 53 Hz, but they are still only 6 db down at 30 Hz, at they point they roll off at 24 db per octave.

So the subs have practically nothing to do. I have customized a Crown VFX 2 to splice the curves. So now the combined curves roll off at 12 db per octave with a 3 db point of 27 Hz.

So if you play the subs alone, you only occasionally hear them on music.

However on tone sweeps you can hear the difference markedly, and also on music that has low bass content. Even though the are highly inefficient, they are called on to produce so little sound the Quad 405 2 driving them barely gets warm.

I would not recommend these subs for a home theater situation.

The other thing is that coupled cavity designs have higher distortion and time delay issues than conventionally ported subs. In fact the distortion and time delay issues are so high with third and fourth order coupled cavity alignments, that I won't use them. Apparently Dr Omar Bose disagrees as he lives these higher order alignments for his bass modules.

So in summary, these subs were designed and built for a very specific purpose, and for general use I would expect people to be quite disappointed with them. However in the manor I use them, it guilds the lily nicely in that very nice sounding system in that space. That is the beauty of DIY.

It was a foul rainy cold afternoon on Saturday, and my wife and I listened to music all afternoon by the fire, ending our listening with two hours of Prairie Home Companion. A really warm fuzzy pleasant afternoon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis