Focal 726 vs NHT Absolute Tower vs Monitor RX6 vs PSB Image T6

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I'm looking at a new front 3, hoping to keep it under 2,000 total.

I'm also considering Source Technologies.

The four candidates I've come up with are roughly the same price. I know that I should demo but my initial question is more about placement. The speakers will be placed next to a TV, corner walls are not an issue but I would like to keep the speakers within 24 inches preferably 18-20 inches from the rear wall. I am currently in an apartment so aside from not wanting bass to get boomy, it simply cannot.

I have been leaning towards the NHT because of the ease of placement and if I move up from the Absolute center, I'm at a 3 way center. The towers do not go as deep as the other brands so I'm not completely sold on the NHT.

The speakers will be used more for home theater but musical performance is more important.

Seating area is roughly 11-12 feet from speakers depending upon speaker placement.

Thank you in advance for anyone that can comment on sound quality in general or ease of placement.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I should also mention the Boston RS series seems to be on closeout so could be had for around 1100, and Aperion Verus Forte also fits in my budget.

I would be happy if anyone would just speak to the quality of the sound even without placement issues.

Also, any other suggestions are welcome, I would ask for towers only and definitely prefer new, I could up the budget if there is something impressive enough but I would prefer to keep it under 2000. I think I've done a pretty exhaustive search but I might have missed something.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get the Focal 726V.

But all of those are very good, so just personal pick. :D

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I appreciate personal picks.

I think the Focals might be the best buy as I can find the towers for 1200, the only problem is it's in light walnut. The only pictures I can find of light walnut are on the center, and I'm not sure they go with my furniture especially with the light colored grill.

I can always take the grills off and lose them, but still that color looks really light.

It always has to be something.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Anyone have experience with the 700 center? None of the dealers near me have it.

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
I appreciate personal picks.

I think the Focals might be the best buy as I can find the towers for 1200, the only problem is it's in light walnut. The only pictures I can find of light walnut are on the center, and I'm not sure they go with my furniture especially with the light colored grill.

I can always take the grills off and lose them, but still that color looks really light.
It always has to be something.
Are you getting the 726 for $1200 locally or online?

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Looks like I have to do online unless I drive a couple of hours.

It seems the 700 series has been discontinued.

Matt34

Matt34

My dealer has the 726 for $1200 in all three finishes. Looks like I'm getting a pair of 706v and matching center for my living room, will make the final decision tomorrow.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Well call me jealous. It does seem 1200 is the standard price, looks like Focal has them at a closeout price which can't possibly be a bad thing.

Have you been able to listen? I'm going by what I remember the last time I heard Focal and of course their reputation.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm going by what I remember the last time I heard Focal and of course their reputation.
What is Focal's reputation ? :D

Their "$200K Grande Utopia" reputation ? Or "Made in France" reputation ? Or what?

It seems Focal have pretty good speaker measurements overall - although probably not as flat overall as Harman, KEF, Paradigm, PSB, or NHT in general. But not as "polarizing" as B+W, Klipsch, DefTech, Polk, Martin Logan, etc. And, of course, not as bad as Zu, Wilson Audio, Vienna. :D

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Yes that reputation, although the not as flat as NHT is what is making my decision more difficult.

Can't be made in France because, every time I think that I hear Al Bundy's 10 commandments one of which is it is wrong to be French.

Matt34

Matt34

I listened to the 705v today and was very impressed. I don't think they are the flattest measuring speaker but they really worked well for what I listen to. I also listened to the Def Tech SM 55, B&W 6-series bookshelves, PSB B5, Golden Ear Aon 3 and Sonus Faber 1.5. Going tomorrow to listen again without my four year old in tow.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I've been told that sometimes I act rather childish, so maybe I should ask what the 4 year old liked.

That's been my impression of the 700 series and just from reading reviews as well, they don't measure the flattest but everyone likes them.

The problem here is the higher end dealers are by appointment only and by their web pages are just as interested in whole home security perhaps even more so as they are in audio. So if Best Buy doesn't sell it, it's a real hassle to get a listen.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes that reputation, although the not as flat as NHT is what is making my decision more difficult.

Can't be made in France because, every time I think that I hear Al Bundy's 10 commandments one of which is it is wrong to be French.
Well FR flatness ain't everything. Anybody can make a speaker flat. :D

Matt34

Matt34

I don't know how Music Direct is in reality when it comes to returns but they do state a 30-day money back guarantee. You could order the 705v to get an idea of the Focal sound in your own house and return them if they don't suit your needs.

The 4 year old was hungry so she wasn't focusing on the important stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I saw the 30 day return, I didn't look at it in detail which of course I will do once I decide to order. The price seems really nice, I can add a solid receiver from A4L and stay at around 2000. I was hoping to wait about another month when I have someplace to put my existing speakers, but hey at these prices I'm sure I can find a place to stick some extra speakers.

Darn those 4 year olds and their short attention spans.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Still interested in Source Technology?
I'm still considering it, the problem I have is the centers I would be interested in are too wide for my TV stand, at least with the equipment that is in there now. They are 26 inches wide and even with moving dvd players, cable boxes, etc. the best I could come up with is 23.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis