Fluance Signature Series Speakers Preview

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That is better than what most people do if you can level match the two zones!

B

Brian Mowka

Audioholic Intern
Ok, so here goes... This is just a short take for now but I have spent enough time comparing Rbh r55ti vs Fluance signature to give my impressions. I'll have a full write up with pictures etc when I finish all tests with other speakers.

Setup: Denon x3200, Fluance SS on main zone, Rbh r55ti on zone 2.
Test disk playing on Samsung j5900 with a variety of songs I know very, very well. Used a pink noise wav file from test cd to calibrate volumes between zones, very happy with results from trusty analog radio shack spl meter, c weighted, set to slow, calibrated to normal listening volume from listening position at 65db.

Rbh: (Price Paid: $700 delivered)
The words that best describe Rbh r55ti's to me are smooth and warm (and looks wise, beautiful). The very first impression I had when unpacking is that the wife would really like these with the nice finish and cherrywood look... Anyways what we care about most is the sound. My take is that I think they may be just a bit to warm, but I would take that of a tad bright any day. On tracks like sufjan Stevens "Chicago" the horns have a rounded off sound to the notes that make them feel pleasing to the ear but at the same time not exactly perfectly accurate. I could see long listening sessions with these being very enjoyable therefore. As far as soundstage I find these to be quite good and the instruments and vocals I could really get a sense of the positioning of instruments. This is one of the best aspects of these speakers to me. I also found these to do a good job disappearing into the soundstage, I would not say they were transparent, but for this price range very good. As for bass, there is not much there, but what there is Sounds nice and crisp. You are going to want a seperate sub to pair with these so take that into consideration price wise. The one thing that I really noticed was how cohesive sounding these speakers were, they seemed to never have dips between woofers/mids/tweeters, the transition was see else's and never did I hear any oddities in the sound. Not sure if I'm explaining this well enough, but it sounded like *A* speaker, not a box of drivers... I'd say chalk that up to good crossovers and well matched drivers and crossover points. If these speakers were a car I'd say a Lexus LS 400, well engineered, smooth, refined, reliable, but not overly exciting or an enthusiasts car, but it gets the job done with aplomb. Overall I would recommend these speakers wholeheartedly, just know what your ears like.

Fluance SS: ( Price paid: $980 (for home theater system, $750 for just fronts))
The words that come to mind for Fluance are beefy, industrial, reserved, bright and uneven. The first thing you will notice when you get these speakers is that they are huge and they really fit better in at least a medium to large size room. Having a said that they are still quite attractive and for the shear amount of hardware you get it's a hell of a deal. Of special note are the isolation feet included they are like mini-grenades that weigh at least a pound each - they really anchor these beasts. Sound wise, They were the most perplexing of the speakers to my ear as they had a few distinct characteristics that really jumped out at me when compared to rbh's. The first is that they are simply much more on the bright side. Horns, guitars, pretty much everything I threw at them they are just brighter than I'm used too. Some may like this, but I was fatigued after an hour or so sessions. As far as bass, this is a strong suit as it really has the bass, but in my listening space, which simply I feel is too small due to speaker depth, was overly boomy and bloated without pulling the speakers around 3 feet from untreated wall. Unlike Rbh's soundstage the fluance's did not have as much separation for me in the same room. Decent, but they seemed more like point sources than the rbh's. In a similar vein therefore they were not as transparent either. Also, unlike the rbh's the one glaring observation I had is that there was a characteristic that I can only describe as hollow. I feel, and it's purely speculative on my part, like there is a gap between mids and subs somewhere as it really felt like two different speakers (bookshelf and sub) and the crossover between them was not quite dialed in. If this speaker was a car I'd go with the Hummer, big, beefy, brutish and great for thumping things. Overall I think for everything you get at this price it's worth a trail especially if you have a large enough room as it wants to play loud. I have a feeling this speaker may really improve with a stronger amplifier and maybe bi-amped, I'll try that in my media room with my ATI 2007 setup downstairs next.

Overall:

Given a relatively small space 13x16, the Rbh is the winner in this contest for my ears and what I like. I don't like to say one speaker is definitely better or worse then another as everyone has their opinion. In fact my wife much prefers the fluance's so much I may end up keeping them for our larger bedroom 17x20. Anyways, to me these speakers really speak to two different groups of people... If you like warm, smooth and refined go with the rbh's if you want brighter and sharper sound with some nice deep base (without additional sub) the fluance's are a great bargain.

Just my two cents given this setup, room, songs, and my ears.

M

marksas

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the review, I love the car references, really puts it into perspective. If it were me i feel like I would want something that sounded in between the two speakers. I couldn't help but think...how would Fluance's XL7F compare in this test? They probably look nicer than the Signatures but wonder if their sound is very similar?

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
I wonder how the Emotiva Airmotiv Tower will sound. It is not out yet. I am not in any hurry for a change. I have Klipsch RF5, RC7, RS35 from 2004 and while they sound great, I was just thinking about a change. Based on this review, I am just going to hold on and watch the scene :) Have any of you tested the Chane A5 tower as well?

theboogeydown

theboogeydown

Enthusiast
Ok, so here goes... This is just a short take for now but I have spent enough time comparing Rbh r55ti vs Fluance signature to give my impressions. I'll have a full write up with pictures etc when I finish all tests with other speakers.

Test disk playing on Samsung j5900 with a variety of songs I know very, very well. Used a pink noise wav file from test cd to calibrate volumes between zones, very happy with results from trusty analog radio shack spl meter, c weighted, set to slow, calibrated to normal listening volume from listening position at 65db.

The words that best describe Rbh r55ti's to me are smooth and warm (and looks wise, beautiful). The very first impression I had when unpacking is that the wife would really like these with the nice finish and cherrywood look... Anyways what we care about most is the sound. My take is that I think they may be just a bit to warm, but I would take that of a tad bright any day. On tracks like sufjan Stevens "Chicago" the horns have a rounded off sound to the notes that make them feel pleasing to the ear but at the same time not exactly perfectly accurate. I could see long listening sessions with these being very enjoyable therefore. As far as soundstage I find these to be quite good and the instruments and vocals I could really get a sense of the positioning of instruments. This is one of the best aspects of these speakers to me. I also found these to do a good job disappearing into the soundstage, I would not say they were transparent, but for this price range very good. As for bass, there is not much there, but what there is Sounds nice and crisp. You are going to want a seperate sub to pair with these so take that into consideration price wise. The one thing that I really noticed was how cohesive sounding these speakers were, they seemed to never have dips between woofers/mids/tweeters, the transition was see else's and never did I hear any oddities in the sound. Not sure if I'm explaining this well enough, but it sounded like *A* speaker, not a box of drivers... I'd say chalk that up to good crossovers and well matched drivers and crossover points. If these speakers were a car I'd say a Lexus LS 400, well engineered, smooth, refined, reliable, but not overly exciting or an enthusiasts car, but it gets the job done with aplomb. Overall I would recommend these speakers wholeheartedly, just know what your ears like.

The words that come to mind for Fluance are beefy, industrial, reserved, bright and uneven. The first thing you will notice when you get these speakers is that they are huge and they really fit better in at least a medium to large size room. Having a said that they are still quite attractive and for the shear amount of hardware you get it's a hell of a deal. Of special note are the isolation feet included they are like mini-grenades that weigh at least a pound each - they really anchor these beasts. Sound wise, They were the most perplexing of the speakers to my ear as they had a few distinct characteristics that really jumped out at me when compared to rbh's. The first is that they are simply much more on the bright side. Horns, guitars, pretty much everything I threw at them they are just brighter than I'm used too. Some may like this, but I was fatigued after an hour or so sessions. As far as bass, this is a strong suit as it really has the bass, but in my listening space, which simply I feel is too small due to speaker depth, was overly boomy and bloated without pulling the speakers around 3 feet from untreated wall. Unlike Rbh's soundstage the fluance's did not have as much separation for me in the same room. Decent, but they seemed more like point sources than the rbh's. In a similar vein therefore they were not as transparent either. Also, unlike the rbh's the one glaring observation I had is that there was a characteristic that I can only describe as hollow. I feel, and it's purely speculative on my part, like there is a gap between mids and subs somewhere as it really felt like two different speakers (bookshelf and sub) and the crossover between them was not quite dialed in. If this speaker was a car I'd go with the Hummer, big, beefy, brutish and great for thumping things. Overall I think for everything you get at this price it's worth a trail especially if you have a large enough room as it wants to play loud. I have a feeling this speaker may really improve with a stronger amplifier and maybe bi-amped, I'll try that in my media room with my ATI 2007 setup downstairs next.

Overall:

Given a relatively small space 13x16, the Rbh is the winner in this contest for my ears and what I like. I don't like to say one speaker is definitely better or worse then another as everyone has their opinion. In fact my wife much prefers the fluance's so much I may end up keeping them for our larger bedroom 17x20. Anyways, to me these speakers really speak to two different groups of people... If you like warm, smooth and refined go with the rbh's if you want brighter and sharper sound with some nice deep base (without additional sub) the fluance's are a great bargain.

I think you'll notice that my observations posted here on 1/16/16 are not dissimilar, and I can second your opinions. With regard to you comments on the Fluance SS's sounding too bright, I would add that I was playing mine through a tube preamp, which often cuts down on a lot of that, so one might argue this is an apparent trouble spot for these guys for sure. Still waiting on my Tekton XL's to arrive to seal the Fluance's fate. Job well done.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't like to say one speaker is definitely better or worse then another as everyone has their opinion. In fact my wife much prefers the fluance's so much I may end up keeping them for our larger bedroom 17x20.
Thanks for your thoughts! Looking forward to the full blown 3?, 4?-way comparo!!!
Just curious what comments your wife made in support of the Fluances and do the two of you listen to the same types of music?

Oh, and congrats on having a wife who doesn't look at audio gear like you brought a rat riddled with infected pustules into her home!:confused::)

B

Brian Mowka

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the review, I love the car references, really puts it into perspective. If it were me i feel like I would want something that sounded in between the two speakers. I couldn't help but think...how would Fluance's XL7F compare in this test? They probably look nicer than the Signatures but wonder if their sound is very similar?
Yes to my ears I'm looking for something right down the middle - ie: neutral and lifelike. Maybe a smidge, but just a smidge warm would be just fine as well.

B

Brian Mowka

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for your thoughts! Looking forward to the full blown 3?, 4?-way comparo!!!
Just curious what comments your wife made in support of the Fluances and do the two of you listen to the same types of music?

Oh, and congrats on having a wife who doesn't look at audio gear like you brought a rat riddled with infected pustules into her home!:confused::)
Next up are the elacs, I have not listened to those for weeks now, mostly was listening to fluance's as default speakers for the last two weeks or so to make sure they broke in enough, they only recommend 10 hours and I definately went well beyond that as I ran run in from Spotify (Cambridge audio posted their run in playlist) over the weekend nights. After the elacs, it's time for the energy Rc-70's - and yes they are broken I. For sure, at least 150 hours downstairs non-stop for over a week.

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
First of all thanks for all your opinions. I'm sure am suprised to see comments about these speakers being bright. If anything i always thought the RBH R55TI's were to laid back so i boosted the tweeter
by 3db and and added a sub to help. My question is this. I consider the signatures to be a very dynamic and livley speaker with punch. Some of you guys are saying they are two bright.

So could you guys maybe explain in your opinion how YOU differentiate between the two?
Your definition of both maybe?

I have heard bright speakers such as the old Klipsch Rf7's and F3's those things were super bright lol.

theboogeydown

theboogeydown

Enthusiast
First of all thanks for all your opinions. I'm sure am suprised to see comments about these speakers being bright. If anything i always thought the RBH R55TI's were to laid back so i boosted the tweeter
by 3db and and added a sub to help. My question is this. I consider the signatures to be a very dynamic and livley speaker with punch. Some of you guys are saying they are two bright.

So could you guys maybe explain in your opinion how YOU differentiate between the two?
Your definition of both maybe?

I have heard bright speakers such as the old Klipsch Rf7's and F3's those things were super bright lol.
i.e. I can't listen to an orchestral performance a la "Ellington at Newport" (MoFi-losta great horn(s), a renowned performance, without wincing. I listen to my favorite vocal LP's and they sound thin and flat, void of the warmth and luscious sounds I am accustomed to. I think they are an amazing product for the $$ but perhaps something I would have enjoyed more "when I wore a younger man's clothes." To each our own, respectively, but I don't believe there is a blending of the different drivers, rather just a harsh separation that I don't enjoy.

theboogeydown

theboogeydown

Enthusiast
Next up are the elacs, I have not listened to those for weeks now, mostly was listening to fluance's as default speakers for the last two weeks or so to make sure they broke in enough, they only recommend 10 hours and I definately went well beyond that as I ran run in from Spotify (Cambridge audio posted their run in playlist) over the weekend nights. After the elacs, it's time for the energy Rc-70's - and yes they are broken I. For sure, at least 150 hours downstairs non-stop for over a week.
Which line of Elacs? You know the new Uni-Fi's are coming soon-ish, right? Andrew Jones can't stop, I love it!

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
i.e. I can't listen to an orchestral performance a la "Ellington at Newport" (MoFi-losta great horn(s), a renowned performance, without wincing. I listen to my favorite vocal LP's and they sound thin and flat, void of the warmth and luscious sounds I am accustomed to. I think they are an amazing product for the $$ but perhaps something I would have enjoyed more "when I wore a younger man's clothes." To each our own, respectively, but I don't believe there is a blending of the different drivers, rather just a harsh separation that I don't enjoy.
That is interesting because i found dvjorak to be quite powerful and dynamic....but yes to each it's own.....

B

Brian Mowka

Audioholic Intern
Which line of Elacs? You know the new Uni-Fi's are coming soon-ish, right? Andrew Jones can't stop, I love it!
Yes, I'm very aware, I have the debuts, f5's are the comparison here. Bathe uni-fi are a bit higher priced end if they are as popular as debut series, unlikely to get any discount. Was trying to compare speakers close in price around 7-800.

B

Brian Mowka

Audioholic Intern

This explains my take as well, horns in sufjan Stevens Chicago tired my ears out and and felt too sharp for my likes. Same with the orchestral pieces, but remember that different equiptment can reveal or excentuate different characteristics. Even with all settings turned off etc there is some characteristics of receiver or amp at play. Hoping to get these beasts downstairs to hook up to my anthem/ATI amp and see if that changes characteristics at all.

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
This explains my take as well, horns in sufjan Stevens Chicago tired my ears out and and felt too sharp for my likes. Same with the orchestral pieces, but remember that different equiptment can reveal or excentuate different characteristics. Even with all settings turned off etc there is some characteristics of receiver or amp at play. Hoping to get these beasts downstairs to hook up to my anthem/ATI amp and see if that changes characteristics at all.
I'm using onkyo......what are you powering them with

theboogeydown

theboogeydown

Enthusiast
Emotiva XPA-2 through a Rogue Audio Perseus preamp. There are NO setting adjustments other than balance.

B

Brian Mowka

Audioholic Intern

The words that come to mind for Fluance are beefy, industrial, reserved, bright and uneven. The first thing you will notice when you get these speakers is that they are huge and they really fit better in at least a medium to large size room. Having a said that they are still quite attractive and for the shear amount of hardware you get it's a hell of a deal. Of special note are the isolation feet included they are like mini-grenades that weigh at least a pound each - they really anchor these beasts. Sound wise, They were the most perplexing of the speakers to my ear as they had a few distinct characteristics that really jumped out at me when compared to rbh's. The first is that they are simply much more on the bright side. Horns, guitars, pretty much everything I threw at them they are just brighter than I'm used too. Some may like this, but I was fatigued after an hour or so sessions. As far as bass, this is a strong suit as it really has the bass, but in my listening space, which simply I feel is too small due to speaker depth, was overly boomy and bloated without pulling the speakers around 3 feet from untreated wall. Unlike Rbh's soundstage the fluance's did not have as much separation for me in the same room. Decent, but they seemed more like point sources than the rbh's. In a similar vein therefore they were not as transparent either. Also, unlike the rbh's the one glaring observation I had is that there was a characteristic that I can only describe as hollow. I feel, and it's purely speculative on my part, like there is a gap between mids and subs somewhere as it really felt like two different speakers (bookshelf and sub) and the crossover between them was not quite dialed in. If this speaker was a car I'd go with the Hummer, big, beefy, brutish and great for thumping things. Overall I think for everything you get at this price it's worth a trial especially if you have a large enough room as it wants to play loud. I have a feeling this speaker may really improve with a stronger amplifier and maybe bi-amped, I'll try that in my media room with my ATI 2007 setup downstairs next.

Overall:

Addendum: just got done testing Elac f5's against both of these and want to add in how they compare.

Elac f5's: (price paid: $560 + tax @ Amazon)
The words that best describe elacs are clear, airy, neutral and accurate. First of all I want to state that my first impression of these speakers were reserved and the tweeters we not detailed enough. Also I had a problem with one of the speakers that I ended up figuring out that one of the speakers had one of the silver baffles/covers was loose and caused excess distortion and I had it replaced. That's when I decided there may be better speakers out there and decided on trying out Fluance ss's and rbh's. Long story short, whether it was additional Break in time or simply replacing the bad speaker, these won out quite easily upon ge comparison with Fluance and Rbh. The tonally sit right in the butter zone between Rbh and Fluance. Rbh is too warm, Fluance too bright, Elac is just right and neutral. The midrange is by far the best for clarity for vocals... While the Rbh is very good I came to realize one of the things I could not put my finger on finally struck me about the fluance's - the midrange is pulled back from the soundstage, the base and tweeter overpower the vocals. It's like the highs and lows are playing in the foreground and the mids are ten feet back or at least not in proper balance with the rest of the speaker. Anyways, back to the elacs. The tweeters are quite good as well but maybe not the best part of the speaker, I think they could be a bit more detailed, but considering price and compitition the are at least on par with Rbh. As far as bass goes, elacs are surprisingly good, especially for their size. Crisper than the rbh's and goes deeper,but not as deep as Fluance's (damn physics) but clearer and crisper than fluance's. If there is a real drawback it's simply that you are going to need a nice clean and powerful receiver or amp as these little suckers need more juice due to lower sensitivity level (85 db) so don't cheap out on the receiver or amp,muse that extra savings toward an amp with more clean juice (think Yamaha, Denon, or better). If this speaker were a car it would be an Acura nsx - well engineered, mid-engined (get it, mid..), balanced, and gives more expensive exotics a real scare that something so cheap can be soon good.

Recap:

Fluance SS:

Highs:
- built like a tank
- free shipping both watts so you can try with your setup in home
- deep bass
- bi-amp able
- nice esthetics - looks high end, isolation feet are something to behold even

Lows:
- recessed mids/vocals overpowered by bass and tweeter
- bass can get muddy unless you have 3 feet or more from back wall
- highs are too sharp and bright for my ears and fatiguing
- slight hiss in background when other have no audible hiss

Rbh r55ti:

Highs:
- warm overall tonally
- beautiful looking, especially cherry finish
- solid overall and consistant sound across the spectrum

Lows:
- not bi-amp able
- a bit too warm for my ears
- tall and narrow so worried about tip over with cats/dogs and kids

Elac f5's:

Highs:
- Tonally neutral
- Clear and accurate mids
- bass is tight and surprisingly deep
- wife-factor (small enough not to be an issue)
Lows:
- quality control - had loose baffle cover
- highs could be more detailed
- requires good amp with decent power

S

Sept

Audiophyte
I agree Gene that the new Fluance speakers do look really good. If they sound half as good as they look, then they surely will be a bargain. Really looking forward to some reviews. Just a bit confused as to why Fluance chose 8" drivers as opposed 6" or even 7". To me the 8" drivers are a bit odd to use. Of course, I may feel a bit differently once reviews start rolling in.

Cheers,

Phil
Signature towers ordered late Wednesday night were delivered Friday morning. UPS guy nearly suffered a heart attack bringing them up the porch steps to the kitchen door as both boxes were marked 80 LBS.
Installed the outriggers and got them running in the afternoon. They are absolutely first class gorgeous: Not a blemish anywhere, gloss piano finish fronts, everything rock solid including the banana plug sockets and gold bar spike connecting the HF/LF terminals.
Played them conservatively for about three hours and they sounded kind of screechy, then around 2:00 AM at four hours they settled down to the familiar balanced, warm very detailed sound I love from the SX-6's ordered last summer.

Listening all day today they are velvet smooth. The feeling is that you're listening to a baroque orchestra or jazz ensemble through a suddenly opened window, they are so detailed and clear. 100% satisfied. Tomorrow I need to make an extra set of cables to properly bi-amp them.
BTW the Canadian economy is trying to tank and the price as of January 29th is now $799.99 instead of $699.99

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Signature towers ordered late Wednesday night were delivered Friday morning. UPS guy nearly suffered a heart attack bringing them up the porch steps to the kitchen door as both boxes were marked 80 LBS.
Installed the outriggers and got them running in the afternoon. They are absolutely first class gorgeous: Not a blemish anywhere, gloss piano finish fronts, everything rock solid including the banana plug sockets and gold bar spike connecting the HF/LF terminals.
Played them conservatively for about three hours and they sounded kind of screechy, then around 2:00 AM at four hours they settled down to the familiar balanced, warm very detailed sound I love from the SX-6's ordered last summer.

Listening all day today they are velvet smooth. The feeling is that you're listening to a baroque orchestra or jazz ensemble through a suddenly opened window, they are so detailed and clear. 100% satisfied. Tomorrow I need to make an extra set of cables to properly bi-amp them.
BTW the Canadian economy is trying to tank and the price as of January 29th is now $799.99 instead of $699.99
Thanks Sept for sharing YOUR thoughts with us. Very glad YOU like the Flaunce Sigs. Did YOU just order the Sig towers or did YOU get the matching center as well? How about the bookshelfs? Just very curious is to how the center/bookshelfs perform. Also seen the price increase. Appreciate YOUR input.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis