Fluance Signature Series Speakers Preview

S

Sept

Audiophyte
Early adopters need only to drop them in the boxes they saved and send them back to Buffalo for repair using Fluance provided mailing stickers and RMA numbers: Enjoy.

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Looks like they've fixed these now? I want to applaud Gene and audioholics. I'm a fan of fluance and your in depth review and discovery of this serious flaw is good for them in the long run and good for those who want a serious speaker at a low cost. Looking forward to the updated reviews
Do you have a link to that review and any idea when the revised version will come out - I noticed they lowered the price a bit on these ( I think ) , I could be remembering wrong.

Like you, I'd like to see this speaker evolve

J

John Melnicoe

Audioholic Intern
Looks like they've fixed these now? I want to applaud Gene and audioholics. I'm a fan of fluance and your in depth review and discovery of this serious flaw is good for them in the long run and good for those who want a serious speaker at a low cost. Looking forward to the updated reviews
I also wish to applaud Gene for all his hard work and advice as to the issues and his involvement with Fluance to get this issue dealt with. As an owner of the Signature Towers, I have sent them back for the upgraded crossovers and am excited to see what happens. Thank you Gene! Gene, please do an indepth review of these Signatures when you can, and surely Fluance would send out a pair for you to review. CNET did another review and liked them, and though I did not fully agree with their initial "blast" of these speakers, they acknowledged they are apparently much improved. I look forward very much to read Gene's findings, whom has real credibility on such issues. Please keep us posted Gene.

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
Gene, will you posting a review soon, now that these have had the cross over replaced/updated

M

MJMcMahon67

Audiophyte
Hi all -

came across this thread while investigating the Fluance SS-HFBPs as an addition to my B&W 600 series 5.1 setup (2x 683S2, HTM61 Center, 685S1 surrounds) for a new dedicated theater room. As much as I love my B&W's (and am looking forward to seeing what they sound like in a non-open concept room), dropping another 8-1200 for another pair of speakers, particularly for rear surround, isn't going to happen.

Thoughts on suitability of the HFBPs as rear-surrounds for my setup? If not, suggestions on alternatives that are similarly reasonably priced?

Thanks,

Mike

J

John Melnicoe

Audioholic Intern
Hi all -

came across this thread while investigating the Fluance SS-HFBPs as an addition to my B&W 600 series 5.1 setup (2x 683S2, HTM61 Center, 685S1 surrounds) for a new dedicated theater room. As much as I love my B&W's (and am looking forward to seeing what they sound like in a non-open concept room), dropping another 8-1200 for another pair of speakers, particularly for rear surround, isn't going to happen.

Thoughts on suitability of the HFBPs as rear-surrounds for my setup? If not, suggestions on alternatives that are similarly reasonably priced?

Thanks,

Mike
Hello,
I think you would be well served by the Fluance SS-HFBP's. I have both the Signature towers and the matching center channel, and I also have the Fluance XLBP's and towers and like them all. The SS should sound better than the XLBP's, and both are well reviewed on Amazon, etc. Hard to go wrong, you could return them if not happy. I think you would get very decent smooth sound for your rears and you would save money. Good luck and let the forum know how it turns out. Happy listening.

J

John Melnicoe

Audioholic Intern
Hello forum folks,
Just an update here on my Signatures I had sent back for the free upgrade, (they paid all costs and shipping). To my ears, they now sound quite nice with excellent overall musical fidelity (given their price of $ 623 total). They sound even across the spectrum, and that odd occasional mid-range shout is gone. Everything just sounds more balanced and neutral, yet it still has some excitement and kick but is not fatiguing or unpleasant. The details come out well, the sound stage is good, and really good source material almost sounds live. I think Fluance clearly improved the speaker and we are very happy with it. I know there was some confusion about whether they were going to just "repair" them, or actually replace them with new speakers entirely. They are upgrading your returns, (fine by me-no more break in required-they sound better). When we first fired them up, we were a bit concerned as they seemed a bit dull or too flat, but then I remembered I had adjusted some receiver settings to deal with the bright issues they had. I set it back to flat and wow-it sounded a lot better indeed, we really like them now. IF you have the older ones-get the upgrade-it is worth the hassle as they pay for it all. I Hope this helps, happy listening.
GENE-where are you? I am sure many of the readers would really enjoy your break down and review of these speakers. I know you were initially psyched about them, and that you worked hard to help get this mess resolved-I and others are thankful for that. Do you still plan to review them? Curious minds must know. Thanks.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is not the same as AH with measurements, but...

It looks like CNET got some of the new ones!

https://www.cnet.com/products/fluance-signature-series-floorstanding-speakers/review/

We first encountered the Signature Series in February 2016 and were unimpressed with what we heard. While movie sound was fine, the speakers couldn't attempt any kind of music at all. We scored them a 6.6 out of 10. But it appears the company has made some tweaks, and while the outward design appears identical, we're happy to say the wait has been worth it.

The floorstanders' main strength remains the sizable 8-inch drivers, which virtually do away with the need for a separate subwoofer. But the midrange has now had the upgrade the speakers deserved. Music is expressive, wide-open and has a dynamic heft it lacked before.

While the Fluance's main attraction is their overwhelming size and astonishing looks, the designers have tried to ensure that the speakers now sound every bit their $800. To the designer's credit, we can say they've been quite successful.

Meanwhile, Fluance representatives have informed us if customers who bought their speakers in 2016 have an issue they should contact Fluance to discuss replacement (with potential shipping costs covered).
THE GOOD The Fluance Signature Series Floorstanding Speakers look like a million bucks with an attractive piano finish and striking yellow midrange driver. The huge 8-inch drivers are able to deliver all but the very deepest of bass.

THE BAD Poor documentation about how to install the floor spikes. Competitors offer more flexibility and smoother sound for the same or less.

THE BOTTOM LINE The Fluance Signature Series Hi-Fi Three-Way Floorstanding Speakers offer gorgeous looks, impressive size and exciting sound quality.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
GENE-where are you? I am sure many of the readers would really enjoy your break down and review of these speakers. I know you were initially psyched about them, and that you worked hard to help get this mess resolved-I and others are thankful for that. Do you still plan to review them? Curious minds must know. Thanks.
There is an Audioholics review of the revised Signature speakers coming, complete with measurements. It will take a little while...

J

John Melnicoe

Audioholic Intern
There is an Audioholics review of the revised Signature speakers coming, complete with measurements. It will take a little while...
Thanks for the update, looking forward to it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the update, looking forward to it.
John, I see that you have looked at Mark Henninger's review of the Fluance Towers with the fixed crossover mods. So, are you just seeing what Gene has to say? I am a little anxious myself. Have kept an eye on them ever since they were released. Just curious is all. I see that you really like them. Hopefully, Gene will as well.

Cheers,

Phil

J

John Melnicoe

Audioholic Intern
John, I see that you have looked at Mark Henninger's review of the Fluance Towers with the fixed crossover mods. So, are you just seeing what Gene has to say? I am a little anxious myself. Have kept an eye on them ever since they were released. Just curious is all. I see that you really like them. Hopefully, Gene will as well.

Cheers,

Phil
Hi Speakerman39,
Yes, I read Mark's review and appreciated it. I am always curious about stereo gear, (especially if not really expensive) and enjoy reading reviews as we live in a very remote area and now tend to buy on-line. My wife and I do like the Signatures, especially with their new crossover. We previously bought the XL7F's due to the very positive review done by Audioholics, and we appreciated the detailed work up of them. We were also influenced by their preview of the Signatures. It is now curiosity as to hoping to see their review of these, and to learn more about what makes them tick. They sure have been controversial, (at least prior to the upgrade). IF you are on the fence, you might give them a try, but save the boxing. To me they are not too bright and do most things well, but probably not as "mellow or articulate" as a ribbon type speaker, (but it has been years since I heard a ribbon speaker but on some music I sure loved them, other types fell asleep). Speakers are so subjective. Glad people are still interested in them and very glad they got updated.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Speakerman39,
Yes, I read Mark's review and appreciated it. I am always curious about stereo gear, (especially if not really expensive) and enjoy reading reviews as we live in a very remote area and now tend to buy on-line. My wife and I do like the Signatures, especially with their new crossover. We previously bought the XL7F's due to the very positive review done by Audioholics, and we appreciated the detailed work up of them. We were also influenced by their preview of the Signatures. It is now curiosity as to hoping to see their review of these, and to learn more about what makes them tick. They sure have been controversial, (at least prior to the upgrade). IF you are on the fence, you might give them a try, but save the boxing. To me they are not too bright and do most things well, but probably not as "mellow or articulate" as a ribbon type speaker, (but it has been years since I heard a ribbon speaker but on some music I sure loved them, other types fell asleep). Speakers are so subjective. Glad people are still interested in them and very glad they got updated.
John, I am not on the fence at all. Actually, I am not a tower guy and never have been for the most part. Much prefer a good bookshelf mated to a very capable sub any day. But, at one time was thinking about ordering the Fluance Sig bookshelfs for a test run. However, have gone in a totally different direction.

Do have a set of Fluance Bi-Poles in the rear. Hope to get them wired up very soon. At $80 a set I thought why not. My preference is, and will always be, on music not HT. It just turns out that I do like to watch a movie every once in a while. It sure seemed like to me Mark Henninger did not really care too much for the Sig towers. Very anxious to see what Gene has to say as well.

Cheers,

Phil

J

John Melnicoe

Audioholic Intern
John, I am not on the fence at all. Actually, I am not a tower guy and never have been for the most part. Much prefer a good bookshelf mated to a very capable sub any day. But, at one time was thinking about ordering the Fluance Sig bookshelfs for a test run. However, have gone in a totally different direction.

Do have a set of Fluance Bi-Poles in the rear. Hope to get them wired up very soon. At $80 a set I thought why not. My preference is, and will always be, on music not HT. It just turns out that I do like to watch a movie every once in a while. It sure seemed like to me Mark Henninger did not really care too much for the Sig towers. Very anxious to see what Gene has to say as well.

Cheers,

Phil
OK, indeed good quality satelites and a good sub or two can be wonderful and efficient. Takes me back to my days in l980 with some MK satelites and sub- was quite nice at the time, (sadly the sub finally burned out). True Mark was not a big fan of the Sig Towers, (it seems love or hate on them from others). The Sig bookshelfs might be a good way to go. Good luck.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
OK, indeed good quality satelites and a good sub or two can be wonderful and efficient. Takes me back to my days in l980 with some MK satelites and sub- was quite nice at the time, (sadly the sub finally burned out). True Mark was not a big fan of the Sig Towers, (it seems love or hate on them from others). The Sig bookshelfs might be a good way to go. Good luck.
I may order me a set of the Sig bookshelfs down the road. If nothing else, just to check them out. Can always send them back on Fluance's dime. No real hurry to do so. My Chanes are serving me well and I am very happy with them thus far.

Cheers,

Phil

02blkvert

Audiophyte
I am also extremely interested in what Gene has to say about these speakers. I could very well be in the market for something new but they must be worth it. I have no interest in buying them and then sending them back if they are not acceptable. Great discussion guys and keep it going.

J

John Melnicoe

Audioholic Intern
I may order me a set of the Sig bookshelfs down the road. If nothing else, just to check them out. Can always send them back on Fluance's dime. No real hurry to do so. My Chanes are serving me well and I am very happy with them thus far.

Cheers,

Phil
I know this is a Fluance thread, but you got me curious about the Chanes and I peaked at their line. Which ones do you have, if you care to share? I am not familiar with them, they do look intriguing.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I know this is a Fluance thread, but you got me curious about the Chanes and I peaked at their line. Which ones do you have, if you care to share? I am not familiar with them, they do look intriguing.
I have the new A2.4's across the front. Using Fluance Bi-Poles in the rear. Only have the room for a 5.2 setup. Might add a set of front height speakers down the road. Sure am in no hurry to do so. My focus is on music. But, I do like to watch a movie or two every once in a while. Right now, I don't even have the Bi-Poles wired up. May just do that tomorrow depending on how I am feeling.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
J

John Melnicoe

Audioholic Intern
I have the new A2.4's across the front. Using Fluance Bi-Poles in the rear. Only have the room for a 5.2 setup. Might add a set of front height speakers down the road. Sure am in no hurry to do so. My focus is on music. But, I do like to watch a movie or two every once in a while. Right now, I don't even have the Bi-Poles wired up. May just do that tomorrow depending on how I am feeling.

Cheers,

Phil
Nice! I am guessing that Jazz sounds great on your system. Shall be curious what you think with it all hooked up, I am guessing you will like it. Those Chanes really look good, what do they seem to do best?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Nice! I am guessing that Jazz sounds great on your system. Shall be curious what you think with it all hooked up, I am guessing you will like it. Those Chanes really look good, what do they seem to do best?
John, so not to derail this thread feel free to send me a PM. Will be glad to discuss with you there. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis