Finally coming together

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
On my Acer PJ I have to adjust the settings for 3D everytime I watch one. :( I wrote down the settings after watching Hercules(The Rock). The only thing I hate is having to put in the settings everytime I watch a 3D movie. For regular BD, DVD, Netflix, etc. it retains the setting automatically. Good thing the Acer looks awesome with 3D. My settings look great and never too dark or light, just right. :) Looking forward to your new glasses review.
That's one nice thing about the JVC. It has about 10 user customizable presets that you can select between. 5 are presets like 3D, Cinema, etc. The other 5 are user customizable. I used the Spears and Munsil disc to calibrate two of the user presets. One for near zero ambient light and one for some ambient light. Currently I've been using the 3D setting with a few other small tweaks for 3D viewing.

You PJ is rated for double the lumens in eco mode and more than double in standard mode compared to my JVC's 1200 lumens. That's the trade off when to get deeper black levels. Although I hear the 2016 JVC's have attempted to rectify that problem by having a slightly more robust light engine at something like 1700 lumens full color output (as opposed to white light).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Those JVC's are the best in deep blacks, although the adjustments I made on the Acer it looks really nice. Maybe one lifetime a JVC(In My Dreams). :) How about some pics with the PJ setup and the new 3D glasses? ;)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
@afterlife2

The Xpand x105-rf-x1 glasses retail online for around $59.99-$69.99 depending on where you look, however Best Buy has them for $39.99 seemingly undercutting even Amazon on this one. As far as 3D glasses go, they're on par price wise with Monoprice and other 3D glasses I've looked at that have similar features and positive reviews. The other reason I've looked at them is because they are (as far as I could find) the official supplier of 3D glasses to JVC, which is useful since my projector is a JVC X55R. I've been skeptical about investing in the emitter and glasses because the JVC is rated at 1200 lumens and after calibration I'm estimating I have around 400-600. In 3D mode I'm probably only approaching 700-900 lumens, which is based on some internet searching of what other stuff looks like at that lumen range (like candles, flashlights, etc). In any case, I broke out my Samsung 3D glasses and picked up two pairs of the Xpand 3D glasses to see what the JVC could do as far as 3D images.

The Xpand glasses come in a cardboard box and are wrapped in bubble wrap. They come with a small directions packet and a USB to Micro USB charging cord. No wall plug adapter is provided, so you need to either plug them into a computer, already have a wall adapter, or most receivers have at least one USB port to charge them with. The Xpand's need a full charge before their first use which takes about 2 hours and then claim to last somewhere in the 40-100 hour range depending on use.

After a full charge and figuring out the best PJ settings to use while testing with the Samsung glasses I finally got to test the Xpand glasses out. Connecting to the JVC emitter was a breeze and took all of 30 seconds, if that. On the face, they're reasonably comfortable, but tend to hug the face and pull the glasses towards you a little bit. I have a wider face/head so this may be more of a problem for some since my GF was wearing the other pair and didn't have any issues. They did become a touch uncomfortable after 3 hours on the face, but it could have also had something to do with me wanting to get my contacts out after a long day. I'll reserve a final comfort rating until after I've had a little more time with them.

In terms of performance, one of the biggest advantages the Xpand glasses have over the Samsung's is that they nearly fully cover the field of view. This is extremely important to me since I have a 135" screen and I'm only about 9ft away from it. The screen pretty much fills my peripherals, so trying to watch a 3D movie without ~30% of the screen being covered by the glasses is distracting at best. In this sense the Xpand's were a huge winner over the stock Samsung glasses, although most after market glasses will fit similarly judging by appearance.

In terms of weight, the Samsung glasses are extremely lightweight and are comfortable to wear for hours. The Xpands add a few grams due to the rechargeable battery and larger frame, but are still light weight and sit easily on the face.

When it comes to actual 3D performance, the Samsung's are interesting because when you turn them on they get noticeably darker. With the Xpand's, when off they look a little darker, but then don't seem to have much of a change when switched on. Looking a little insane, I put both glasses on my face one pair above the other so I could quickly switch back and forth in order to compare them. 3D performance is similar, I couldn't say one out performs the other. The main difference being that the Xpand's do let in a little more light, I'd say about 10-15% more than the Samsung's. I was watching Jurrasic World and the 3D was very good.

Overall if you don't have 3D glasses, the Xpand's are a good choice. I'm not sure they're the best, but they are very good. My biggest complaint is still how much light passes through the glasses and after more research, the X1 isn't the official JVC glasses. The X3 would be the exact JVC glasses, just unbranded and would supposedly give me about 30% more light. I'll keep looking, watch a few more movies and make a decision when I have the motivation to get off the couch.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
By request, a more complete picture of the two setups.

Upstairs

Downstairs

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have 4 pairs of Samsung glasses with my set and though dark, I feel they do a good job, even with Godzilla.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have 4 pairs of Samsung glasses with my set and though dark, I feel they do a good job, even with Godzilla.
With the TV yes, with the JVC no. Unless I'm missing something in the settings. I'm still fiddling with the settings trying to eke out a few more lumens without totally screwing up the image so I'll have to retest.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
By no means so they do a bad job, in case that wasn't clear. They just make an already dark scene just a little too dark with the projector. With either Samsung TV they do a good job.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Had to use two different pieces so it took a little longer than expected, but overall installation was a breeze once I figured out which parts would work with my PJ. Rock solid, no wiggle or movement when I put the lense cap on or take it off. Awesome mount, thanks @BMXTRIX

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ultras sold so I played some speaker musical chairs. This is where everybody ended up.

EMP E41-B's got called out of retirement

The Mandolins are back in a 2.0 config as the zone 2 speakers.

The RC4A's are back in action in the HT. Not really sure why I ever took them out.

Two things occurred to me as I reran Audyssey in the basement. The Triline aren't crazy sensitive at 90/1w/1m, but for some reason they are extremely loud. Audyssey has them both at -12. I may get another miniDSP to add into that signal chain in order to attenuate them a bit. I need to order another one anyways for the subs that will be coming so perhaps I'll get two.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Ultras sold so I played some speaker musical chairs. This is where everybody ended up.

EMP E41-B's got called out of retirement

The Mandolins are back in a 2.0 config as the zone 2 speakers.

The RC4A's are back in action in the HT. Not really sure why I ever took them out.

Two things occurred to me as I reran Audyssey in the basement. The Triline aren't crazy sensitive at 90/1w/1m, but for some reason they are extremely loud. Audyssey has them both at -12. I may get another miniDSP to add into that signal chain in order to attenuate them a bit. I need to order another one anyways for the subs that will be coming so perhaps I'll get two.
I don't see the rear towers.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't see the rear towers.
They're tucked away in the messier parts of the room so I didn't take any shots of them.

If I ever get around to cleaning those parts of the room I'll have to grab some shots.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Spring break project. Replacing the miniDSP 2x4 with the 4x10 and adding the Behringer mixer to add more level control and to future proof a little. Also adding the ultracurve between the 8801 and the Cinepro for the front mains to again add more level control. Need to first verify I have all the cables I need

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't verified that it actually works yet, nor is it completely put back together or EQ'ed or really anything, but this is at least what it looks like.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Got bored trying to recapture that magic of the miniDSP 2x4. This is where I ended up. All no smoothing.

Before Audyssey

After Audyssey (average of two measurements)

Overlay

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Overall the system is much more balanced, the front L/R are no longer at -12, and I fixed something that was causing the center to blast as well. Subs are leveled much better than before as well.

Plus I have meters to look at now :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So whilst screwing around trying to get the sub situation rectified I shot this short video. Goes to slow mo after about 3 seconds. What you see is a 250lb (actual weight is probably 300+lbs but I've never actually weighed it) sub getting shaken like a rag doll. This is 1.5" thick on the top, bottom, and sides. 2.25" on both baffles. Still shimmy's like a leaf in the wind.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Overlay of a bunch of different crossovers. All pretty much sucked except for 150Hz. I'll have to see what that sounds like.

A slightly less cluttered look showing subs only measurement, 150Hz, 80Hz, and 40Hz. 80 and 40 caused big dips, but in different places. 150 pretty much matched the subs only measurement.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis