Figure this one out

D

dyna962007

Audioholic Intern
so I have a question please.
I have a late model Sharp Aqueous 3D TV 60”LC 60SQ15U that has a 120hz refresh rate. same model as yours
Its NOT a 4k TV as you know but it does play 4K content and upscales to 2160 as a sort of a step between HD and UHD.

I also have a new Sony upscaling Blu-ray newest model BDPS6700 that does upscale to 4k.

I watch some Blu-rays, a very few DVDs and mostly streaming video movies on Amazon and Netflix.

In a general sense I am wondering if I am better off letting the Sharp do most of the work or let the Sony BDP do the work.

I have been fighting for some time the issue that when I am wanting a blue ray, The TV will not let me adjust aspect ratio and I have the bars at op and bottom and I hate that.

Last night I changed the setting on the 6700 to limit its output to 1080P and when I did that, it looked wonderful on the Sharp TV and gave me the full menu of options for full screen, wide, zoom and others. I was able to find a setting that filled the screen but also looked good. Please comment on this. I guess before, I was upscaling the blu-ray from 1080P to 4k and then sending I t to the TV which was having problems with that.
Please note the TV and Blu-Ray are both 24P capable

Finally just as a general purpose question which would you prefer to do the upscaling the TV or the Blu-Ray?

jhughy2010 said:
thehandler said:
Hi There, just coning back to visit the forums after some years.
I've seen several of your posts about the Sharp TV.
Do you still have your LC 60SQ15U?
I have one also but I dont want to bother you with a question unless I know you still have yours.
Thanks, much, mike

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm trying to figure out how/why you started a new thread with a quote from another? :)

I'd use whatever works better for you/what you prefer; in my case it's my display (but I have different gear than you do).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You should not be upscaling Blu-ray at all.

You have a 1080p TV and Blu-ray Disc is 1080p natively. If you upscale, you are converting the 1080p to UHD, then throwing that resolution away at the TV, which adds two points of scaling to get back to what the original source was to begin with.

Just leave scaling off on the Blu-ray player, then run it, as you already have found, at 1080p from start to finish for best results and the cleanest image.

When/If you do scale an image, you do so at the product which has the best scaler in it. This isn't a TV or a source specific issue. It's why some people use external scalers, they may offer the best quality.

Really though, from start to finish, you want the best possible source with the highest possible quality of encoding, and then match it to a display with the same resolution. That's the way to get the best results.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis