mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I wasn't saying Bonham was a technical drummer. I was just stating that Bonham is most likely an influence to most drummers in the past 20-30 years.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
No. You said top pick. Not influence. Heck, he was a huge influence to me.
O brother.

OK I will restate myself.

Since Bonham is most likely an influence to most drummers in the past 20-30 years. He would most likely be in their top picks.

But who really knows. :D

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
People who don't play have a hard time understanding what all is taking place in a drum solo.
You have hit on a deep truth there. For we non-drummers (especially those of us who can barely clap along with the beat) any reasonably competent drumming seems like magic. If a drum solo is fast, loud, and involves polyrythms we are most impressed.:p

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Tico Torres. Perhaps not my favorite, but an exceptional drummer and a real humanitarian. I'm not a Bon Jovi fan, but he sure rocked back in the day with Franke & the Knockouts.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
For a Tool fan, Thrak is probably a good place to start.

From the '70s, I'd recommend the Fripp/Bruford/Wetton albums: Larks Tongue in Aspic, Red, Starless (in that order, I think, although many people prefer Red).

From the '80s, Discipline is definitely their best.

Their first album - In the Court of The Crimson King - is a little dated here and there, perhaps, but is an immensely important album within progressive rock. If you have a music historian's approach, start there.

If you go to http://www.dgmlive.com/ (DGM = Fripp's record label), you can get some free live stuff (a rotating selection called the "hot tickle" - upper right corner right now). Right now it's "Lament" from a 1974 concert - good tune!
As a Crimson fan, I concur with the list above.
How come nobody has mentioned Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree)?

Masher

Masher

Junior Audioholic
1. Keith Moon (is the best ever. Too young to have seen him, but he is without equal)
2. Buddy Rich (sorry, but yer #2.)
3. Neil Peart (seen him 3 times, the last two from the 7th row and he is the best alive today)
4. John Bonham (used to be my #2, but he fell because the more I listened to Led Zeppelin, I realized how "bad" he was. Extremely sloppy, and not a very "Technical" drummer. Sure he could beat the snot out of a crash cymbal, but it wasn't until Presence that he "was good".
5. Ginger Baker - his unique style of play has created "the stuff of legends".

Various other drummers:

Cozy Powell - (often forgotten in these types of threads. He was a true magician, that added to the music, always had "good fillers".)
Roger Taylor - (in his prime Lars Ulrich couldn''t touch him for "speed" and Lars uses a double kick bass.)
Nick Mason - (like Ringo, he wasn''t the greatest, but was a perfect match)
Mitch Mitchell - (often overlooked as he is not a household name, but makes my Top 5 every time. A shame Jimi gets all of the attention)
Carl Palmer - (have no clue how he slipped through the cracks either. I''ve seen him live once and nearly pissed myself.)
Max Roach - (IMO, he is JUST AS good as Buddy Rich, but Buddy Rich is a household name just as Robert Johnson is, when it comes to Guitarists)
Richard "Pistol" Allen - (was a member of the Funk Brothers)
Benny Benjamin - (was "Pistols" mentor and is one of the greatest session drummers ever. Most folks outside of Detroit area, do not recognize the Funk Bros. But he is a very astute technician.)
Jim Gordon - (He played with Delaney & Bonney and Frank Zappa, but schizophrenia took him from music.
Most people do not realize he played drums on Pet Sounds. I was told this when I was 6. He was most noted for Derek & the
Dominoes)
Eric Delaney - (one of the others that could give Buddy Rich a run for his money)
Ian Paice - (one of the greats, his best work was with Deep Purple, but even better on Paul McCartney - Live at the Cavern Club)
Nigel Olsson - (one the greats as well that are never mentioned. His work with Elton John is Legendary, not to mention his backing vocals)
Bill Ward - (you helped keep time for a heavy metal group and were very technical at the same time.)
Mick Avory - (The Kinks, a prime example of "A Tight Band". Too bad his onstage fights with Mick Davies ended it all.)

Current Drummers:

Eric Kretz - (the best of the crop)
Chad Gracey - (damn good, rarely makes a mistake either)
Danny Goffey - (Supergrass is the best band not many have ever truly heard of)
Matt Cameron - (always liked him too, rarely made a mistake)

I could go on with Drummers that haven''t been mentioned but it would be pointless. I rarely post stuff like this because IMO, threads like this are an excuse to post names that we hear everyday and whip out Google or Wiki and find obscure names. Buddy Rich will be listed sometimes and when quizzed, folks haven't a clue about him. I gave up on ClassicRockForum for the very reason, a bunch of manufactured answers in another "poll thread". IMO, you should give some reason why they are listed. Most have in some way.

Before the "but wait!" comments happen. I was a self taught drummer of decent capability from the 3rd grade to 22 years of age. My oldest brother bought a beat up Remo kit and I put on my Panasonic "Walkman" and was drumming to Bill Ward of Black Sabbath. I took up snare in the 3rd grade to be able to read music. I haven''t been behind the kit in over 10 years and never will again. Drumming at the age of 21 was "no longer a challenge for me." I had a DW kit in 1984 in the 6th grade and sold it for twice the money I paid for it in 1996 (I didn''t get a xmas gift or B-day present from anyone from 1984-1987).

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I was a self taught drummer of decent capability from the 3rd grade to 22 years of age. My oldest brother bought a beat up Remo kit and I put on my Panasonic "Walkman" and was drumming to Bill Ward of Black Sabbath. I took up snare in the 3rd grade to be able to read music. I haven''t been behind the kit in over 10 years and never will again. Drumming at the age of 21 was "no longer a challenge for me." I had a DW kit in 1984 in the 6th grade and sold it for twice the money I paid for it in 1996 (I didn''t get a xmas gift or B-day present from anyone from 1984-1987).
I met a woman in Montana whose cousin plays drums in REO Speedwagon. When they upgraded their equipment, her 4th grader got his old kit. Now that was a present!:)

V

Vin2.1guy

Audioholic Intern
We have threads for guitarists and singers, so I thought I would start one for drummers.
My top 5 are:
Bill Bruford
Phil Collins
Elvin Jones
Neil Peart
Nick Mason.

I am also a big fan of new-age percussionist Robert Rich, and the ensembles Kodo, Zarbang, and Blue Man Group.
I'm late into this thread, but nice to see Neil Peart in your top 5. ;) (And mentioned by others here as well, I haven't looked through the whole thread).

Rush is my favorite band by far, and he's just amazing, and dare I say keeps getting better (as do they all, their latest album this Spring is one of their very best). Get to see him/them on the 24th, seen them 5 times already, everytime I was blown away by him/them live. :)

I'll also add that although Neil is my favorite, I don't think there is any one "best" drummer in any genre, they all have their abilities and limitations, talents and drawbacks, within their band's dynamics. And of course across genres it's a matter of apples and oranges: a drummer who is great at jazz may not be compentent at all at rock, and vice versa.

In sum, there are many fantastic drummers out there (past, present, dead, alive) across all sorts of music. No one can be reasonably be labeled as "the best...ever...for all time!".

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I've been a country rock fan since the Eagles hit the scene many decades ago. My favorite drummer of the genre is Monte Yoho...from the Outlaws. Check out his fabulous solo work on Green Grass and High Tides. By the way, this has been selected as one of the Top 20 Country Rock songs of all-time and one of the Top 20 FM Radio songs of all-time.

Sorry, I couldn't find my old links to the video or mp3. The one on the Outlaws' website is an abridged version that doesn't include the drum solo. Nevertheless, you can get an idea of his stylings within the other selections.

http://www.outlawsworld.com/music/.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I don't like to single out 1 person from a band because I like the unit as a whole. Separate they are nothing.

SheepStar

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
(as do they all, their latest album this Spring is one of their very best).
I am not normally very sensitive to compression/clipping. CDs that others have complained about in threads about the "loudness wars" often sound fine to me. Snakes and Ladders is an exception. I do hear a lot of compression and clipping on it, and it reduces my enjoyment of it considerably. Too bad, because content-wise it is a great CD.:(

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited:
highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I want my minutes back.:eek: You're kidding, right.:eek:

This is a prime example of someone not knowing what it takes to play. Someone could play that rhythm with one lesson.
I agree that was pretty lame but.............knowing how yettiman posts silly stuff i think he posted the lamest link he could find on purpose;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis