J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
We have threads for guitarists and singers, so I thought I would start one for drummers.
My top 5 are:
Bill Bruford
Phil Collins
Elvin Jones
Neil Peart
Nick Mason.

I am also a big fan of new-age percussionist Robert Rich, and the ensembles Kodo, Zarbang, and Blue Man Group.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Steve Gadd
Bernard "Pretty" Purdie: invented the "Purdie shuffle", most recorded drummer ever.
Rick Marotta
Harvey Mason
Jim Keltner
Peter Erskine
Ricky Lawson
Jeff Porcaro
Alex Acuna
Lenny White
Terry Bozzio
Gene Krupa

Last edited:
zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Off the top of my head, I'd go with...

Neil Peart
Stewart Copeland
Max Roach
Elvin Jones
Bill Bruford

for my top 5.

Some random faves/honorable mentions: Damon Che of Don Cabellero, Todd Trainer of Shellac. Simon Smith, long time (but not current) drummer of The Wedding Present.

And lets hear a round of applause for Meg White of The White Stripes! Boom, Tap, Boom, Tap, Boom, Tap....

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Tool, He's very good.
Then I agree. Tool is a great band, but I don't know the member's names. They are on a par with King Crimson (which is saying a lot), and have toured with them.

annunaki

annunaki

Honestly, I have never listened to King Crimson. What album of theirs would you suggest as a good starter?

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly, I have never listened to King Crimson. What album of theirs would you suggest as a good starter?
They have been around for nearly 40 years, and have a lot of albums, so it is hard to decide on a "best". Their recent work has better sound quality than their older stuff, which might be a reason for choosing it.
I guess I will recommend: Recent) The Power to Believe (jaw-droppingly awesome CD.) A bit older but among their best) Thrak. At peak form in the '80s) Discipline. Early classic) In the Court of the Crimson King.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General

For a Tool fan, Thrak is probably a good place to start.

From the '70s, I'd recommend the Fripp/Bruford/Wetton albums: Larks Tongue in Aspic, Red, Starless (in that order, I think, although many people prefer Red).

From the '80s, Discipline is definitely their best.

Their first album - In the Court of The Crimson King - is a little dated here and there, perhaps, but is an immensely important album within progressive rock. If you have a music historian's approach, start there.

If you go to http://www.dgmlive.com/ (DGM = Fripp's record label), you can get some free live stuff (a rotating selection called the "hot tickle" - upper right corner right now). Right now it's "Lament" from a 1974 concert - good tune!

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Neil Peart
Neil Peart
Neil Peart
Neil Peart
Neil Peart
:D

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
Neil Peart
Jeff Porcaro
Antonio Sanchez
Paul Wertico
Steve Gadd

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Neil Peart (Rush)
Tim Alexander (Primus)
Danny Carey (Tool)
Shannon Larkin (Godsmack)

John Bonham was the drummer for the best rock band of all time, and while he was a great drummer, he is not one of my top pics.

Tony Royster JR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT41QQ3bMzU

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Neil Peart (Rush)
Tim Alexander (Primus)
Danny Carey (Tool)
Shannon Larkin (Godsmack)

John Bonham was the drummer for the best rock band of all time, and while he was a great drummer, he is not one of my top pics.
I bet Bonham is a top pick for all the drummers you listed.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I bet Bonham is a top pick for all the drummers you listed.
I doubt it. But, for some. I have seen all footage available of Banham. Nothing special about it. But, there was something special about Zep. There will never be another band like that.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I doubt it. But, for some. I have seen all footage available of Banham. Nothing special about it. But, there was something special about Zep. There will never be another band like that.
From Drummer World

Describing the style of John Bonham's drumming instantly conjurs up visions of the thunderous power he created. His contributions to rock music were revolutionary, and his talent unmatched and irreplaceable. You can only imagine Jimmy Page's reaction to first seeing him in 1968, ending his search for a new drummer to form a new band, the New Yardbirds (later renamed Led Zeppelin.)

A childhood friend of Robert Plant, they played together in the 'Band of Joy', resulting in local gigs and a few studio demos. At first, Bonham was reluctant to join the well-known guitarist because of a steady gig with Tim Rose. But... the rest of history...

As John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant have all stated many times, Led Zeppelin wouldn't have been half as good without him. Along with JPJ, they provided the solid foundation and backbone of the band, which made it all possible. Live performances truly showcased his abilities during the numerous improvised jams throughout every concert and of course his famous "Moby ****" drum solo; reaching a half-hour in length at times! Immitators are usually left frustrated, since Bonham made it look so easy - not only in his playing but also in the incredible drum sound he acheived. His legendary right foot (on his bass pedal) and lightning-fast triplets were his instant trademark. He later refined his style from the hard skin-bashing approach to a more delicate wrist controlled one - which produced an even more powerful & louder sound with less effort.

His tragic passing on September 25th, 1980 immortalized his legacy forever.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/John_Bonham.html

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I am quiet aware of the bands history. It goes much deeper than that short piece. They are my favorite of all time. Bonham just isn't my favorite drummer of all time. No big deal.;)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Did you watch Tony Royster Jr?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT41QQ3bMzU

He does more with one hand while twirling a stick in the other, than Bonham ever did. And he was only 12 in that video.

I had someone argue with me one day about Tommy Lee being the best drummer in the world. Tommy Lee. LOL! People who don't play have a hard time understanding what all is taking place in a drum solo. And, before you ask, yes I play. I have been a drummer for 25 years. And I suck.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis