Epik Sentinel Subwoofer Review

irish

irish

Enthusiast
Response graphs won't tell you much in the way of decay or overhang.

FR graphs would definitely be interesting, but if you heard more than a hand-full of different subs in a particular location in a room, you would get at least a bit of a grasp on the differences in the subs and the room interactions.
Admittedly I'm new to the audio game and I'm trying to learn so could you please give a little bit better description as to what your train of thought is with the decay & overhang, I though this would show up.

Also, why would FR graphs be interesting and in what way? Thanks. :)

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Admittedly I'm new to the audio game and I'm trying to learn so could you please give a little bit better description as to what your train of thought is with the decay & overhang, I though this would show up.

Also, why would FR graphs be interesting and in what way? Thanks. :)
Basically, it is how long the subwoofer continues to make noise when told to stop. In transitioning from one note to another, or multiple notes at the same time, this can be very key.

FR graphs would be interesting to see if anything he heard in his room correlates to the graph.

Last edited:
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Basically, it is how long the subwoofer continues to make noise when told to stop. In transitioning from one note to another, or multiple notes at the same time, this can be very key.
I think it should be pointed out that the driver is not the only culprit/factor, but the cabinet as well. Cabinet resonance can play a major role in this situation, as resonant frequencies can make their way through the driver diaphragm if I understand correctly. I'm sure thats implied in your statement, but in the interest of being thorough...

I would be interested in seeing FR graphs as well.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I think it should be pointed out that the driver is not the only culprit/factor, but the cabinet as well. Cabinet resonance can play a major role in this situation, as resonant frequencies can make their way through the driver diaphragm if I understand correctly. I'm sure thats implied in your statement, but in the interest of being thorough...

I would be interested in seeing FR graphs as well.
Absolutely! Thank you for adding the info.

annunaki

annunaki

Response graphs won't tell you much in the way of decay or overhang.

FR graphs would definitely be interesting, but if you heard more than a hand-full of different subs in a particular location in a room, you would get at least a bit of a grasp on the differences in the subs and the room interactions.

That said, I have never heard an Epik sub, but I have a lot of experience with Hsu subs. Although they don't play the loudest, or the deepest, what they do play sounds excellent, and as good as any similar priced/configured sub I have heard.
They will tell you if a specific region of the bass range in bloated, giving the impression of overhang however.

Someone noted cabinet resonance which is a possibility. A poor performing amplifier or a problem with the driver itself (variation of T/S parameters) which would cause a misalignment in the tuning could also be suspect.

Last edited:
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
They will tell you if a specific region of the bass range in bloated, giving the impression of overhang however.
But not actual overhang/decay due to the subwoofer itself. If both subs are placed in the same place, the graph of each should show some the same room induced characteristics to a varying degree.

annunaki

annunaki

But not actual overhang/decay due to the subwoofer itself. If both subs are placed in the same place, the graph of each should show some the same room induced characteristics to a varying degree.

True, but it will show if one sub has more output (a higher spl) at a specific range of frequencies therefore simulating overhang. Just because they are in the same place does not mean the response curve could look quite different due to response differences.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
For Clarity. Clint did NOT write this review. He posted it for a new reviewer Rob H that actually wrote it after he bought the sub for his own personal usage. I will try to get him to comment further on his setup and methodology in the forum. Epik looks like they make nice products so if anyone has a review request, let me know and I may check one out in the future provided the sub weighs under 100lbs :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Every Sub OUT OF STOCK?

I just went to the Epik website for kicks and noticed that EVERY SINGLE subwoofer is OUT OF STOCK?

What's up with that?:eek:

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I just went to the Epik website for kicks and noticed that EVERY SINGLE subwoofer is OUT OF STOCK?

They must be gaining in popularity and therefore selling out of all their stuff.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja

They're a small operation and just had a sale which probably wiped them out.

I'm surprised with this review. I've heard the Sentinel and felt it didn't give up a ton of ground to HSU with regards to musicality. Certainly no more than the comparable SVS and eD subs.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
That is too bad, I wonder what they plan on replacing it with, maybe something even better.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is too bad, I wonder what they plan on replacing it with, maybe something even better.
Yeah, after that Tom Nousaine review of the Conquest, I thought it was the ultimate best subwoofer in the world for under $15K.:D

Why in the world would they discontinue something that awesome without even making any anouncements of a replacement?

I think EPIK is going bankrupt or something - like a lot of companies these days. It just makes no sense to me.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Epik Sentinel Review to be Retracted

After speaking in great lengths with the owner of Epik subwoofers, we have decided to retract Rob’s Epik Sentinel review.

• Rob was shipped two products initially, one of which was damaged when he transshipped it from Florida to Canada. Rob maintains the second product that he tested for the review was fully functional while Epik maintains it was also defective during his review process. Since this was Rob’s first review for us, given the circumstances, we are eliminating all doubt by retracting the review.

• Rob’s review didn't undergo peer review by the manufacturer (standard industry practice to ensure no tech errors about the product in question) This wasn't his fault since there was some confusion as the product wasn't sent by Epik specifically for review and there were no official channels open to them from Audioholics.

• Since Rob was unable to take measurements to back up some rather strong claims made against the sub, it makes it hard to separate the facts from the subjectivity of his claims.

Aside from these issues, I actually thought his review was well written and would like to consider using him for future reviews. Next time however, we need to follow the standard protocol we established when I started this website over 10 years ago.

Since the product in question is currently out of stock,we will patiently wait until next year when Chad from Epik subwoofers can send us some of their latest product offerings for review. We plan on doing a comprehensive review with measurements like we typically do and look forward to learning more about the performance of their products.

I hope you understand our situation as we want to do what is best for all parties involved, especially our readers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis