Enter to Win: Velodyne EQ-Max 10 Subwoofer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
1. How do you buy your high-end audio products today? Why?
Online-its the cheapest and never had problems. 10+ years of buying

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?

-ps3's 3d screen...the dual viewing mode on 1 screen is just amazing.
-microsoft table displays...so much you can do with these..Samsung already releasing one
-advanced hearing aids...yes not the obvious, but i work with people who are disabled and hearing aids are at the point where it could benefit even people who can already hear..

3. What is your most treasured audio component?
my ears:) ...or ipod

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?

Better wireless transfer of both audio and video need more attention. The military has been using this tech to the fullest for years..

M

mojoe66

Audiophyte

I usually do my DD online first by reading reviews from experts at sites like Audioholics as well as from consumers who posted in A/V forums. I then will seek out a specialty store that carries the product I'm interested in so I can make my own decision about the product using my own ears. I will then purchase from either a specialty store or a reputable online source based on cost and service.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?

First I'm most excited about Tablets and what they mean to the future of not only computing but how they will eventually be part of our everyday existence in all facets of our need for and distribution of information.

Secondly, I'm excited to see how television has reached new levels of excellence in PQ and the ability to bring content and information to the user with only an internet connection. I see television maturing into not only a source for entertainment but a hub for all things social.

Lastly, I'm very excited about the course of mobile phones. The ability to have all forms of the social needs of consumers crammed into a small flat piece of technology is what the future is all about. A communication device on several platforms, a camera, a gaming hub, a source for all information in the palm of your hand. Awesome!

My Pioneer SC37 is the heart and sole of my audio system. I know there are better components on the market but I love the sound and the ease of use of this monster. when I put on a blu ray or a cd or an mp3 I'm enveloped in the sound that is produced.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?

I feel that speakers have been an after thought to many concerning their potential for greatness from new technology. For the last 30 years I feel speakers have only marginally improved. I know there are many high end, very expensive speakers on the market but those are for a very limited few. I want to hear something that I can truly say that is different, almost perfect to my ears and anybody who wants it can afford it.

B

brandzip

Audiophyte
Questions.

How do you buy your high-end audio products today? Why?

1. Online
2. Specialty Retail Store
3. Custom Installer

Online, from:
amazon.com (great speed, return policy and generally authorized seller)
Crutchfield (totally dependable, excellent return policy and authorized seller)
Costco (additional year on manufacturer's waranty, plus great return policy)

What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?

OPPO BDP-93 - It will enable me to retire all other disk players and use HDMI only to move signals to receiver. I'm also a big fan of Multi-Channel SACD's (classical), This will allow me to move the DSD signal directly to the receiver.

Yamaha RX-A3010 receiver - Allow me to move all signals to the receiver as digital (HDMI). They will then be decoded and directed (speakers and subwoofers) only once before hitting the amps. I listen to a lot of classical music and the Yamaha supports this with many "soundfields" designed from actual concert halls. This helps with the overall quality of sound when listening to stereo or 3-channel disks on an AV system.

NETGEAR XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit - To allow me to network the home theater. wi-fi had been less than dependable due to all the local interference.

What is your most treasured audio component?

SEAS Thor speakers (4 of them). Wonderful reproduction of classical music.

What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?

Wireless AV - Allow me to place amplifiers, subs...all AV components anywhere desired without regard to having a room totally wired for Home Theater. I DO NOT mean only components with wi-fi, which would not allow for older components, but separate units with extremely low noise floor and distortion that could handle HDMI, TOSLINK, RCA (both analog and digital), and Balanced IN/OUT. Quality/Cost is the task.

R

Rozako

Audiophyte
The last time I bought high-end products was in the late 80's from Rogersound Labs. (Specialty Retail). I would hope to do the same for the expert help in store. As for the price, a good specialty retailer will give you a good break off list price along with their good customer service.
2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why? TVs-I'm still watching CRT & can't wait to get a modern flat screen with 3D (that I will probably rarely watch, but could!) along with relatively phenomenal energy savings. AV Receivers-good clean sound (not so new) with room correction for a home theater set-up (will be new to me). Modern speakers-small enough to please the wife with sound big and clean enough to satisfy my tired ears.

3. What is your most treasured audio component? Nothing treasured anymore, my Yamaha stereo receiver is 25 years old and showing its age. But if I still had my RSL Elan speakers... that would be my treasure. (Using a pair of RSL Outsiders that never saw weather... they actually sound pretty good.)

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology? I'm thinking alternatives to Cable/Satellite. Possibly Over-the-Air which so far seems to be squandering its opportunities to supply competitive quality alternative to customers who don't want or can't afford $100 a month for packages which are mostly wasted.

G

gomergozer

Audiophyte

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer
I much prefer to buy locally. The ability to see, touch, and use a product is quite valuable. Also service and advice is available.

Media streamer with DAC. We are still in the early stages.
Digital room equalization. Tremendous improvement in sound.
Hybrid integrated amps. Tubes with Class D amps give the greatest bang for the buck.

Gallo nucleus reference 3.0
or maybe my Musical Fidelity MC-2's. They are fantastic for near field computer speakers.

XBOX Kinect control of the Stereo/Video/room acoustics and lighting.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Questions

Online -- Price and convenience.
Specialty Retail Store -- Can put your hands on the item and instant gratification.
Custom Installer

Smart phones -- its just amazing what such a small device can do.
Room correction -- I feel we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg and future software will do amazing things.
TV's -- Bigger and better for less money.

My HK6500 -- It's the first real component I ever had.

HTPC -- Been around awhile but still not as common and user friendly as they could be.

In home personal TV calibration equipment at a reasonable price.

Last edited by a moderator:
jasoneuc

jasoneuc

Audioholic Intern
Questions

Was speciality store, but they are now closed.

PS3 - game console, BluRay, killer value
iPad - is an explanation really necessary? It's the perfect travel companion.
Macbook Air - best laptop period

Front Speakers - Axiom Audio M50's

Sources. Seems like every product is an "almost" product. Consumers just want the stuff to work and not worry about DRM, changing price structure (yes, Netflix this means you!), and how everything needs to be connected.

N

nypapaya

Audiophyte
Online - much easier price comparison - after I know the product.

Wireless connection to anything. The reason is it make all the setup easy, no wire!

Energy ESW M6. Too cute like a baby :)

Wireless - RF To speaker and digital streaming from content player to display.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General

Online - Yes, sometimes on mass-produced, widely available items in order to obtain the best price possible. Especially for a product where customer service is really not a factor.
Specialty Retail Store - Will use when it is a specific item not available via internet or where it is important to "touch" "Feel" "hear" it first. Plus I like to support local merchants when possible. Hate Best Buy.
Custom Installer Have not yet due to not reaching the point where I am not technically capable yet. Did use one for DirecTV but they insisted.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why? Tablets due to their light weight and portability to access internet and basic email functions. Besides, already ordered the plasma TV and my speakers are only a few years old.

3. What is your most treasured audio component? Probably my MP3 player as I can take my music anywhere. Airplanes, hotel rooms, screaming children, etc.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology? The portable entertainment sector is the hotest but also still weak. Amazon Kindle Fire is priced right but they are counting on constantly having wifi access. Yet the unit is most needed when there isn't wifi access available. Such as on airplanes, car road trips, etc. Still not the best integration between a portable entertainment device and all of the possible outputs. Meaning output by itself, or send it to teh TV, or send it to teh TV and audio system, all controlled by the portable device. Seemless...high quality audio. I still don't have satellite radio because I can hear the reducing of teh audio stream used to shrink the file size. It bugs my ears. Many manufacturers are ignoring the quality aspect of the audio to their detriment.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
  • Specialty Retail Store
  • Custom Installer
Online if possible because of the convenience and almost-always lower prices. I'll buy locally if I can get a similar price, and/or if I can't get a warranty online. My last two receivers have been from Best Buy - the first because they matched an online price, the second because I wanted a Pioneer Elite and online retailers don't have factory warranties for those. Also, the one "specialty" store in town treated me so poorly after selling me a defective B&W sub that I will never buy from them again (luckily B&W stepped in and got me a new one, after the store owner refused to even consider that it was defective).

1. HyperSonic speakers. I like the idea of focusing audio like a spotlight, opening up more doors for surround sound (e.g. speakers up front with reflective panels in the back)...as well as making my obnoxious hot-tub-running neighbor think that Satan himself is speaking to him, while no one else can hear it. :D
  2. Inductive power. I like the potential for wireless power. "Wireless" speakers still require wires for power (or batteries).
  3. Flat-panel high definition TVs. Mundane these days, sure, but what an enormous space and visual improvement over the CRTs that I grew up with! I still find myself in awe at some HD programs, as it looks like the person could be right there in the room.

My Monster ca...oh, I just can't say that with a straight face. :D

I really don't treasure any of them anymore - I don't own any unique gear. If I had to pick, I'd go with my Toshiba KT-S2 "walkman" with the RP-S2 tuner pack, simply because I still think it's kinda cool thirty years later.

• Holographic 3D projection - more immersive without the need for a large screen.
  • Interactive entertainment. Get 3D projection or interactive eyewear working, throw in some serious computing power, add in a system like Kinect and maybe a 2D "treadmill," and let people be part of the story. Do you hate that scene where the villian molests an innocent girl? Pick up a virtual machete and save the day! :)
  • High-quality miniaturized unobtrusive equipment, such as flat-panel speakers or even systems that wouldn't need speakers. In-wall speakers and built-in electronics save living space, but they still require room and the installation is non-trivial for most people.
  • Wireless power.

R

RTPBob

Enthusiast
Questions

• Specialty Retail Store
  • Custom Installer

Mostly Online from authorized dealers due to best price, no pressure selling and good return policies.

a.) 3D projectors as the quality keeps getting better and the prices keep coming down.
b.) Tablet computers based on Android to replace Microsoft laptops.
c.) Receivers with auto equalization and newer audio formats as I'm due to replace my older unit.

Magnepan home theater speakers

a.) Improving the sound quality of the average TV
b.) Wireless speaker connections

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
Online - I do my research online and generally try and buy internet direct products, but then I buy them on the used market since I'm 25 and broke.

iPad - As the technology matures, the applications for recording and artistic hobbies like photography or music are endless.
Media server products - I love the idea of home theater PC, but the maintenance and nerd factor is way too high. I love the idea of an integrated media server that all of my devices can access and use.
Bluray - Even though it is old news, I'm broke so the fact that they are cheap enough for me to start collecting and viewing is great. Love the image quality. Would love to afford a new receiver to take advantage of new audio codecs.

My SVS sub. It totally takes my movies to the next level.

Audio is untapped simply because quality designs at affordable prices are not easily available for the average consumer. Imagine how a mid-fi system as an alternative to a HTIB with an included DVD with layman's instructions for setup could change the audio market.

W

worm254

Audiophyte
Nice!

Questions

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer
Answer
Specialty Retail Store because i want to see the product i am going to buy and mess around with setting (if there are any) and listen/hear the product before i purchase to make comparison if needed.
1:4K tv's because its about time they got this ball rolling especially considering some phones have/almost have the same resolution of my 58" tv of 1080P is a little disturbing.
2:Emotiva amps: it is unbelievable that no one did what they are doing now along time ago! a decent power amp at a average consumer reachable price,amazing!
3:Oppo Blu ray player: because though it may be over priced (sorta) that tech will eventually make its way down in to more affordable consumer player making everyone's experience better.

My AVR is because it is the HUB of my Livingroom.
Advancements in Avr technology, it seems that no matter what AVR's are always atleast 1-2 years behind everything else on the market. Ex: Gui's are just now starting to look and function good (last years denon GUI looked like it came from the 90's), airplay just now becoming a standard on 2012 products, and processor delay that's built into the AVR's could use some improvement. i think if they invested in more powerful processors that managed video and sound processing the end user experience would be better (it seems like just the way it is but i have not seen one GUI that was fast and responsive or video switching that was fast, though some of that is the tv's fault also).

S

shogie

Audiophyte
Questions

• Specialty Retail Store
  • Custom Installer
Online - selection + price

A) Smart phones - Because they are converging multiple devices into one, and I can only imagine that this trend will continue.
B) OPPO blue-ray - This will be my next purchase
C) Any streaming or time shifting technology - I like the complete control over when I start, pause, stop watching anything.

My Martenz 7002

Wireless tech

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
1. Online typically due to price. But I want to start using local stores more often.

2. 1. 4k resolution. Full blu-ray is awesome, so I can't wait for this.
2. Emotive amps. I like how good quality power can be had reasonable prices.
3. Receivers with auto equalization, it's only getting better.

3. My Aperion 6ts. They are big and beautiful.

4. efficient amp technologies. Specifically, class d that approach class a/b sound

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Questions

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

Specialty retailers for speakers and high-end audio, but often online for electronics. For speakers I won't buy unless I can see the product and listen first. I considered an online purchase for a subwoofer, but in the end chose a specialty retailer because I could be certain the product was right for me.

Smart phones and Ultrabook notebook computers. I'm addicted to computing. In audio-video I would have to say the latest loudspeakers and subwoofers, and I'm not just saying that because this is a Velodyne thread. Speaker technology has come so far over the past 20 years, especially drivers themselves. Nothing in video looks "live", but really great speakers have reached the point where they can make music sound "live", and for pop music it's usually better than live.

In terms of value-added to my system it would have to be the Revel Salon 2 loudspeakers. They never cease to amaze me, even after 18 months of ownership, though they have been greatly improved by the DD18 Plus. The combination is extraordinary.

There is evidence, however, that my Mark Levinson #39 CD Player is really my most treasured component, and I'm just afraid to admit it. I bought it new in 1997, for the outrageous price of $6,000, because it was audibly *far* better than the Sony 707ESD I was using at the time, and it's built like a piece of jewelry. I use it as a pre-amp too; it feeds the amps directly. It has needed two out-of-warranty repairs since, both expensive, and until very recently anything I've tried hasn't sounded nearly as good. The next time it breaks a Benchmark HDR is probably replacing the DAC & pre-amp sections, but the #39 is the only audio component I've ever used continuously for 14 years. And when it's gone I'll miss it.

The merger of computing and audio-video. Sitting here looking at the separate amps and the tangle of cables it takes to create a high-end stereo system makes me wonder why all speakers aren't powered, with digital crossovers and optimized amplifiers, and everything isn't connected by Ethernet, with media transmitted digitally and re-clocked for perfection, and managed by software on any computer. We're so close, but most systems are still stuck with complex and silly AV receivers, single-ended analog cables everywhere, HDMI, and CDs and Blue Rays. Ugh.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic

Online, because I can find the best prices and sales without having to drive store to store. Very convenient and I can have the item delivered to my front door :)

a. Iphone for Sprint, because I'm not that into my samsung nexus s android phone.
b. Next generation gaming consoles. I still enjoy playing video games, they are a great escape from reality. I can't wait to see the power of the new xbox and playstation.
c. The Irobot roomba. I have hardwood floors and an english bulldog that sheds a lot of hair. I would love to leave it to a robotic vacuum that can make my life a little easier.

My Denon AVR 4310 ci. Does ALMOST everything I want it to. Sounds great and easy to setup. Love it.

Pretty much anything wireless. I would love to have less wires to manage, but the technology still kinda sucks. Not much for delayed responses and the high prices.

Moutee

Moutee

Junior Audioholic
Questions

I prefer to buy online. It's easier to search for deals, especially when I use eBay or Craigslist. I also shop from Parts Express, since I'm a DIYer (when I have the time).

1) Speakers: I hardly ever get tired of seeing new designs and the lengths people will go to pursue great sound.
2) Tablets: It seems like I'm find more uses for my iPad every month. They're more practical than some people give them credit for, and I would like to see performance improve and prices go down!
3) Glasses-free 3D tv! I was impressed when I saw it on the Nintendo 3DS. Now let's see it bigger! 3D is a growing trend, and I would like to see most companies agree on a technology that works.

Without question, it's my B&W Matrix 805 speakers. They were generously given to me when I was sixteen, and owning them was my first footstep into the AV hobby. I have used them daily ever since, and I refuse to remove them from my main system; I even brought them to college with me. As an engineering student, I admire them for their construction. As an Audioholic, I admire them for the beautiful sounds they make.

It would be nice to see every component of an AV system (sans speakers) communicating together on one network. High-end companies, like Integra, incorporate this in their receivers, but it would be nice to see this technology trickle down into lower price brackets. I would also like the aforementioned components with bluetooth, so one doesn't have to worry about complicated IR systems or pointing the universal remote just the right way so all of the components turn on at once.

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic

Online - Price is important. So too, is selection. I have very few good high-end shops around.
Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

Just got into nice headphones with my PC. I lam now looking at external DACs, headphone amps, and, of course...cans. I still enjoy my main hifi rig, but often times I can't enjoy it at any kind of volumes I'd like too because of others around.

My HTPC. It is my gateway to all my music and video files.

A true HTPC consumer alternative. Nothing can rival the power of a well-configured HTPC, but all the bugs are still there to fight continually.

A

artv4

Audiophyte
Questions

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

Answer: I purchase my high-end audio products from a store locally in Virginia Beach, VA. I remember the first time I entered the store. Completely overwhelmed and way out of my league. B&W, Mark Levinson, Marantz, Rotel, Linn, Rogue Audio, Rega, Naim, etc. A friend from my parents neighborhood had introduced me to the store. At the time, I had a Bose AM-5 (i know.....) system. The store had a consignment Polk Audio bookshelf system on the side that a buyer had sold to purchase another system. This was the start of my acquaintance with the high-end audio shop. The customer service I recieved from the employees made me feel as if I were purchasing the high end Linn equipment in the shop. On my lunch break I sometimes stop by the shop just to shoot and rant about audio. The store is called Digital Sound.

Answer: Apple Mac Mini, Apple TV, and the Apple iPhone. I know it sounds like I'm trying to get promote Apple but...... So, I purchased a Mac Mini a few years ago from the advice from Ara from the HTGUYS. I use my Apple Mac Mini as a movie server in my Home Theater. This is placed downstairs in my home. Upstairs, I have my Apple TV to my little bedroom HT setup. Here, I can stream all my content from my Mac Mini to my bedroom. Simple and extremely awesome. Finally, the Apple iPhone. This phones does everything for my HT. I can control my Mac Mini using an app that acts as a remote and controls Frontrow. With the Airplay function, I can stream any content on my phone to the Mac Mini or my Apple TV. Apple just sets the bar for simplicity for me.

Answer: My Apple Mac Mini is my most prized component. Again, thanks to Ara from the HTGUYS. The Mac Mini stores all my favorite movies in DD or DTS 5.1 and music all at the click of my remote. Simple, efficient, and convenient. All at the same time, a working personal computer on my 65in flat panel!!!!

Answer: Audio/Video Control. I wish that a company would create the system "Tony Stark" had in his home that controlled everything. Jarvis!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis