Enter to Win: Velodyne EQ-Max 10 Subwoofer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorradmike

Audiophyte
[/COLOR]Originally Posted by Tom Andry
1. How do you buy your high-end audio products today? Why?
Online, currently because of the limited choice of high end audio products in my area. I used to prefer brick and motar stores until my most recent experience with Best Buy and a long conversation witht he store manager.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why? The new inventiveness in smaller speaker designs, no doubt brought on by 5.1 and 7.1+ AV systems. The resurgence of interest in analog audio, namely vinyl. Goes to show young listeners are not so dumb and maybe disenchanted with the poor sonics of MP3, etc? Integration of video to quality audio. It has taken a while.

3. What is your most treasured audio component?
My Vincent hybrid preamp.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?
Giving true audiophiles true quality stereo hifi in movie and cable programing.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jake5717

Audioholic
Pick me

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

Online - Price obviously is way less. Salesmen at specialty stores tent to push the products they like and poo poo the products you want

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?

Tablets - Good by bulky laptop hello quick booting internet connected do all device

Home Media Hubs - All your content in one place shared among all your TV's and other devices

Drrrrooooiiiddd - Recently moved to a Droid from a Blackberry and there's nothing I can't do, except get help from Siri

My RBH fronts

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?

HTPC/DLNA server. Seems like there are a ton of devices that can access shared media, but there are very few mainstream devices doing the serving.

J

jgeorg5

Audioholic Intern
Online - much easier to comparison shop price and specs. Not all retailers carry all brands.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why? A) ID Sub manufacturers in general. The price to performance ratio is much better than most of what you can buy in B&M stores. B) Smartphones in general - the power of yesterday's pc and the internet in your hand. C) Harmony remotes - makes my complicated A/V set-up easy enough for my wife or guests to use.

3. What is your most treasured audio component? Definitive Technology Mythos ST. I got a screaming deal on a pair and they were the beginning of my foray into home audio. Enough bass for my condo (I have since added a stand-alone sub) plus WAF

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology? Someone to bring Monoprice level quality cables to retail to compete against Monster. How many people would buy a $50-100 HDMI cable if it is sitting next to one that is $3-5 and just as good?

A

avDan

Audiophyte
Entry

A. Online sine there are better prices due to limited stores in my area.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?

NAS - still early but someday maybe these can truely be like personal cloud storage and decode file formats to eliminate the burden of the encoding on the player.

OLED TV - awesome crisp, energy efficient displays. Sleek and appealing to fit into any room.

My new 5.1 channel set up, huge leap from htib! Just need a better sub :)

- encoding/decoding compatability issues when using DNLA, could be so much better than it is currently.
- mainstreaming hi-rez audio!

Coult_45

Coult_45

Junior Audioholic
I like to compare specs and opinions and search for what is the best deal for me.

65" plasma, a subwoofer room eq, every unique quality speaker.

My RBH speakers

glasses free 3D

S

schaume

Enthusiast
Velodyne Contest

Online: typically online (price baby price)
Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

iPhone, iPad and NAS. First two, design/function and simpilicty. NAS for music streaming, storing music photos and as automatic back-up.

Nothing, yet, but that Velodyne might make the list if I win!

Simple, robust, high quality inter-connected av-equipment/computer/phones all wirelessly and without compromised quality.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Online - no credible specialty stores in the area, have no patience nor inclination for custom installer hassels

- Subs with built in EQ - fills a large gap in proper system set-up
- 60+ inch plasmas - large drop in prices making this affordable
- NAS/large HDs - large drop in prices making this affordable

- 1 GB HD with digital (FLAC) music collection, the rest of the system can/will be replaced or upgraded over time. The music represents more total investment in dollars, emotion, and time.

- Smart home integration of A/V and lifestyle (iHome?)

XEagleDriver

A

aetengo

Audiophyte
Questions

Usually online after I have checked it out at a BM store

Streaming: when you want it and where you want it
TV's: the 1st plasma I got was $5000 for a 42" now you could get way better for that amount
Receivers: the amount of function built in now is amazing, no more holding a spl meter

My universal remote control. Old but still awesome MX-850

Digital media/streaming. Hopefully providers will realize we don't want 500 channels and still have nothing to watch. Give me channels that I want when I want them.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sometimes

Enthusiast
I Hope I Win!

1. Online
2. Remote control user interfaces. Thin and lightweight emissive displays. High bandwidth wireless signals and power.
3. Toss-up between 1. Marantz RC9200 remote control 2. Series 3 TiVo with 1.25 TB. But if it has to be strictly audio, then my Sennheiser RS 180 wireless cans with Kleer uncompressed full-bandwidth technology.
4. "Minority Report" gesture and voice control interfaces

Last edited:
R

rushwj

Audioholic
  • Online yes
  • Specialty Retail Store yes
  • Custom Installer
not usually because usually do not have products to demo

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why? 1. Improved subs 2. Room treatments 3. Improved speaker design

3. What is your most treasured audio component? Sonos

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology? Improved networking of components

Senior Audioholic

Specialty Retail store, I like to see, hear, and touch it before I purchase it

Devices that can connect to streaming services, to watch what I want when I want
Tivo, watch TV programs on MY schedule FF through commercials
Home server/NAS storage for audio and video library streaming

My turntable

Streaming and electronic content distribution

jinjuku

jinjuku

Questions

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

A: Online. Wider availability online of desired class of product.

Digital Media Streamer: Ease of use.

Robust Sub EQ inbuilt: No hassling with external crossovers.

Video Projection: Absolutely no comparison to the money spent to screen size ratio.

My Do It Yourself Statements Speakers

Aggregation devices like Boxee.

C

cvillevideo

Enthusiast
Usually a specialty retail store because I like to have to hear and see what I'm buying when it comes to high-end audio. I also appreciate the support offered by employees of these stores. Given the audition periods offered online, I may try buying speakers online in the future. But the ease of returns to a retail shop is a big plus, because I don't have to worry about shipping.

(a) Galaxy Nexus and Android 4.0 because I'm eligible for a Verizon upgrade and a big fan of Android.
(b) HD audio available online: Not new, but I just started trying hi res audio recently and love that I can just download it without needing special players or discs.
(c) converging media delivery and device systems: like the Xbox 360, Google TV, Smartphones and tablets, etc. They are changing the way we consume media as well as the type of media we consume. I especially interested in how this will (hopefully) lead to simplified or "intelligent" home AV setups.

Recently bought some Energy Veritas 6.2 towers and I just love listening to (and looking at) them. Wouldn't mind a new sub to go with them!

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology
I mentioned above the possibilities for AV equipment to become more intelligent and easier for the user to operate and setup. It's amazing how difficult these remain for the average consumer. Devices should be able to communicate and coordinate better--we are just starting to see this happen and there is still a lot of room for improvement.

M

mxart

Audiophyte
I've bought all my audio and video equipment online. I however been to local high end and best buy stores to check out the product. In cases where the product I am looking at is not available at a local store, I try to read as many reviews and/or posts online regarding that particular product. The main reason I choose to buy online is the savings I get, mainly sales tax and sometimes is cheaper than buying retail.
I am most excited about the future of the tablets, I see so many uses for it that I can't wait to see what comes next. I am also looking forward to the future of a/v receivers, more and more are being developed using the internet. I have a Pioneer that I can plug into my network and listen to radio stations from around the world. The last product I am looking forward to is the integration of technology into automobiles. I test drove a an Audi this past summer and it came with an option to have a broadband connection, you could listen to Pandora, had Google maps, and listen to podcasts, fascinating and expensive indeed!
My most treasured audio component is my Grado headphones. They were my first "expensive" purchase of an audio equipment and since I've had them, I have not looked back... I love the sound coming out of those things!
4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology
The a/v receiver market is one that has room for growth, unless you buy a really high end piece, you won't get the best sound and certain connections will be missing. I think an affordable receiver can be great to many consumers, one that combines great sound with the power of the internet.

F

Flyinace2000

Junior Audioholic
I am not sure i qualify since i am married to Liz... BUT

Questions

Online - Price. I love to do research about AV stuff. So doing the reserch myself is half the fun of buysing a new product. I don't see the value add at this point in going to a retail location.

1. Airplay in everything!
2. Boxee - as a company and product they seem to be doing things right. Tight integration of their software and hardware gives them the edge (like apple?)
3. iPhone 4S and rumored 5 - i am addicted to mobile tech.

EMP E55Ti Tower Speakers

Stream lining placeshifting content. iCloud is a good start. Plex has new new remote library function too.

gregcss

gregcss

Audioholic Intern

Online, from internet direct companies. Dollar to dollar you get a better product.

Squeezebox Touch - I won't have to change discs all the time. My library will be at my finger tips. Plus the Touch can be modded to improve sound quality.

Plasma TV - while I do like my LCD, think I want to sell it and get a plasma

Android phone - I like being 'connected' from just about anywhere.

Salk speakers

Video, specifically hardware. I think TVs and players are only going to get better.

whitey019

whitey019

Enthusiast

a. Online - Most electronics where technology changes quickly (i.e. receivers, DVD/Blu-ray players).
b. Specialty Retail Store - Speakers and some long term electronics like amplifiers

1. Velodyne EQ-Max subwoofer - DSP capability at afordable prices
2. Paradigm sub 12/15 - An awesome subwoofer that matches my mains.
3. SVS SB13+ - a very attractive and capable sub

Most definitely my Paradigm Studio 100 v.5s

The integration of smart phone and tablets into calibration and control for various DSP technologies.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
  • Specialty Retail Store
  • Custom Installer
Online, I suppose. Kind of hard to find what you're looking for in the B&M stores where I live.

Sharp Elite TV - because of the PQ
Denon 4311 receiver - because of the features
Wii U - I wanna play Skyward Sword in hi resolution.

My DIY Maelstrom 18" sub :D

QUALITY multiple sub solutions on a budget - IE one amp driving dual spaced woofers.

W

wesley63

Junior Audioholic
Questions

Online. I either go with internet direct companies or high-end gear at close-out prices. I find this far preferable to playing pricing games with salespeople in boutique electronics stores.

Amazon Fire: It's just cool.
Hi-Rez Music and DACs: I keep hoping that people will realize how crappy MP3's really are.
Whole-house automation: again the cool factor.

I have an Outlaw RR2150 that I have been very impressed with for music.

Managing a collection of Hi-Resolution recordings without disks, either locally (within the home) or in a cloud environment will be a task for some new device.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
  • Specialty Retail Store
  • Custom Installer
Online, because it's convenient and the bang for the buck is better than a store and I don't need installation or setup help.

1. Servo subwoofers
  2. 7-9" tablet computers
  3. The newest generation of Android phones

My Salk speakers.

Most consumer electronics products have reached a point of rapidly diminishing returns. One technology currently near and dear to me is a hope for a convergence between best of breed internet media players (e.g. Roku) and best of breed media players designed to play any and all content stored on a home network (e.g. Netgear's NeoTV 550). Another area is improvements in room correction algorithms and seeing those improvements trickle down the food chain faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis