Enter to Win: FREE DVIGear 2m SHR HDMI or DVI Cable!

What considerations are important when buying and installing DVI and HDMI cables?

• Price

Votes: 43 69.4%
  • Perceived quality

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Manufacturer is easy to work with

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Physical appearance

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Actual performance

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Immediate availability

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Brand name

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Other (please specify in forum)

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RonK

Enthusiast
Price is followed closely by performance...I'm not one to believe in paying exhorbitant rates for cables, but I will pay a fair price for a quality cable...

Ron

G

Grotsnag

Audiophyte
Size does matter!

Length appropriate to application is absolutely critical.
Who wants a cable that is too short to reach between components in the rack layout that I prefer. Nor do I want extra cable to have to coil out of the way.

REWJR

REWJR

Junior Audioholic
Most HT setups require long run cables to the PJ and this becomes the paramount reason for maintaining 1080P qaulity over the needed distance.

There is no reason to compromise a 10K + HT video setup by using inferior cables and to not get longer than needed beacause you buy the cable only once .

I myself have a 10 meter (35') HDMI cable with at least 10 extra ft of room to manuver for future display upgrades which might require moving unit back for larger picture..

The future's so bright I got to wear shades...

S

Stormwolf

Enthusiast
I would say actual quality performance is the main thing I look for in cables, I usually go with a brand that is backed by a garantee as these things are not cheap. Price is the second consideration as my wife hates when I buy expensive cables. Customer service would be the third quality I would consider in case the store I purchased from dosn't cover something.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
being a college student i think price would be the most important for me..

anything that works well and is relatively cheap would be the one i want.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
the price to preformance ratio is the most important factor

however I'm willing to pay a slight premium for looks...!

N

naftaturbo

Audiophyte
With home Audio/Video gear, You GOTTA keep the wife happy

I get questioned all the time about keeping connections (cables) simple and clean. So my biggest interest in DVI cable is:
Can you get one at a reasonable price (justifiable to the wife) that passes all HD signals transparently. Component connections look excellent but take up a lot of space and create excellent homes for dust bunnies. If I find a DVI cable that provides at least equal signal quality to component cables and has good quality connectors that won't oxidize in a short time at a reasonable price, a lot of my friends who rely on my suggestions will be buying them.

A

adamrc

Enthusiast
I think that price is a big issue, but performance is just as important. It's worth to pay a little more to have good performance. I don't really care about looks of the cable.

A

azoffty

Audiophyte
I look for preformance-quility-cost in that order when making a purchase of any product. :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You know, I said "ACTUAL PERFORMANCE" - But, now that I think about it, the MOST important thing is that the cable must be available to me immediately.

If I have an installation going in and I need an extra HDMI cable, I have a number of choices of high quality providers at similarly reasonable prices. The client doesn't care about the brand, they care about the quality combined with a short install time.

If I am told "We will have that cable to you in two weeks." then I am shopping elsewhere. There is ZERO chance I will buy a cable that I need if it is on backorder. Not with the options available. There are many manufacturers of speaker cables and interconnects and there are many of excellent build quality out there. This makes it a consumers market, not a sellers market.

So, I guess I don't care about customer service, if it is a quality cable, I won't EVER need it. If it is a quality cable (actual performance) it won't fall apart, the build quality will be good, the customer will be able to tell that it is a good quality cable by the build, and the performance will make it shine for years as the right choice in cable. The price will be in line with the competition and I would question an overly inexpensive cable as much as I would a high priced glam cable.

If it isn't in stock, the customer won't ever see it and I will be less likely to visit that company & store in the future for my buying needs.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Price and performance...Thats all that matters to me!

El Toro

El Toro

Audioholic Intern
Being a custom installer I look for the new cable with the best preformance first. Then look at the price, design, and gaurenteed performance rating. It doesn't hurt if the cable is finished really nice with cloth ducting or available in diffrent colors either.

MY STUFF:
Denon avr-1082
denon 910 dvd
denon 1000 dvd
NAD T773

Klipsch klf-10
klipsch ksc-c1
Klipsch ss-3
klipsch ksw-12

A

Ajax

Audioholic
Performance is first consideration, but I want it at a reasonable price. I'm assuming that a cables's performance and it's build quality are directly realated. It seems to me that a cable with poor build quality will not perform well. If cable falls apart as you plug it in, how well is it going to perform?

R

rburton1

Enthusiast
DVI/HDMI Cable Selection Criteria

Most of all, performance is crucial in my selection of cables. With the new interface standards, perfromance is being pushed to the edge. The only real possibility for degradation is in the interconnects.

Secondly, future proofing my cable selection is desirable. There currently are few devices outputting a 1080p. This does not mean that there will not be such in the near future. Any cables that I purchase now must be able to accomidate the currently defined standards.

Finally, I can not enjoy any cable in which I must endure spouse protest. The cost must be within reason. Granted the defination of "reason" is intrinsic. By my standards the price needs to be justifiable in ratio to the cost of the equipment it interconnects.

Give me performance, future-proofing and reasonable pricing and you can have my business everytime.

RB

Bodymechanic

Bodymechanic

Junior Audioholic
DVI and HDMI

There is no doubt that the cost of good cables can be staggering. However, I'd bet most of us are willing to bite the bullet and pony up the extra cash to have the very best we can afford. After all, having spent thousands of dollars on A/V equipment can seem far less satisfying when you know you went cheap on the cables/interconnects. That is why I think 'value' is the most important consideration when selecting cables. Another way to put it is 'most bang for the buck'. Price is key but it's worth spending more when you know you are buying a higher quality product from a reputable company. The big payoff is when you plug in and see the difference. Secondary to this, I personally like when all my cables match up. Even though I'm the only who gets behind the gear and monkeys with all the wires, I know that every aspect of the system is just right! A company that is able to provide a wide range of cable types is more desireable to me.

Kind regards

A

AFJumper03

Junior Audioholic
Since HDMI is pretty new, and since almost all of my components now use it, I look for high quality in both the cable's performance and the way it looks when I buy a new cable. I'm going to be in the market for some more here shortly when I buy one of these new HDMI capable recievers that are coming on the market :)

G

genesis471

Audioholic
The upmost quality for the
'right' price is very important to me. I am not interested in brands that have the perception that their product is top of the line and carry premium prices as a result. I want performance to come with that price!

Mike

L

ljbrun

Enthusiast
To me compatability w/1080 and actual performance are equal, followed by price.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Performance and lasting quality are what I look for. I'll afford it...somehow...so long as it does it's job well. This is true of any gear I would buy. I NEED to upgrade all my cables, as accessories seemingly are on the bottom of the list of toys.

J

jrfuda

Audioholic Intern
I voted "price" I bought the cheapest 30' DVI cable I could find (I think I paid about $20) and I can't tell any difference in quality between it and the 6' cable that came with my TV (although it was probably a cheapo too). I've run Avia and DVE on on the set (Panasonic PT50LC13) through these cables and they look/calibrate great.

Mind you, I run nothing higher than my sets native res - 720p, so I can't address 1080p, for which you might well need a "performance" cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis