Enter to Win: Aperion 10th Anniversary Home Theater System valued at $1999!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Contest Questions:

1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors?
  • Amp/Receiver
    - Yamaha Rx657 receiver
  • Speakers
    Front L/R = Axiom M60v2
    Center = Axiom VP150v2
  • Sub(s)
    old Pioneer SW-105
  • Sources
    CD/DVD = Oppo BDP-83 blue ray player
    TV signal = Time Warner Cable, may go back to DirecTV
    Sometimes run mp3 player into receiver via 3.5mm to analog L/R cable
    Nintendo Wii
  • AV furniture
    standard leather couches & chair w/ottoman
  • Other

2) What would you change in your home theater system?
I would like to add rears for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup, possibly upgrade the sub. Eventually upgrade the receiver.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system?
Add rears for better home theater. Music is run as 2-channel (shuts center off)

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.
1 - the subwoofer only needs to work with the room, not the rest of the system as far as color/look is concerned. My existing sub is a plant stand. Shakes them up some during movies, but is generally not even noticed in the room.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

amp74

Audiophyte
1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors?

1. Amp/Receiver- sony str-da5400es
2. Speakers- monitor audio rx series in mahogany
3. Sub(s)- paradigm ps 1000 black
4. Sources- oppo bdp-83
5. AV furniture
6. Other

2) What would you change in your home theater system? sub

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? sub

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 1

R

rjplummer

Enthusiast
  • Amp/Receiver: Carver M500t / Brushed Aluminum
  • Speakers: Polk RTi A1 / Cherry
  • Sub(s): None
  • Sources:
    Scientific Atlanta 8240 HDC / Matte Silver
    Memorex MVD 2045 Black
  • AV furniture: Sauder Entertainment Credenza / Carolina Oak
  • Other: None

Move to 5.1

Add an amp to support 5.1

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.

N/A. Don't have a subwoofer

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic

1. Receiver - JVC 8020v{black}Hopefully a Onkyo TX-NR1007 next week
2. Speakers - JBL 'S' series {black}
3. Sub(s) - SVS Ultra {rosenut}
4. Sources - PS3, Wii, XBox 360, Dish, Toshiba A2, JVC
5. AV furniture- Just your usual living room seating, glass tv stand
6. Other

2) What would you change? New receiver is in the works

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, -10). Please explain. =1 Its all good :)

F

factorz

Audiophyte
Amp/Receiver: Sony DTR-895 Silver
Speakers: Pyle for L&R, Bose for Center and surrounds
Sub(s): Don't have one.
Sources: 8300HDC, PS3, Wii
AV furniture: None
Other

2) What would you change in your home theater system? Just about everything.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Speakers

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. Since I don't even own a sub right now I would pick 1. I would just be happy to have one.

T

troymwolf

Audiophyte
Amp/Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH, Emotiva LPA-1
Speakers - Sonus Faber Concertino x 2, Center, Wall x 2
Sub(s) MK MX-125II
Sources - Panasonic BD35, Sony S9000es
AV furniture - Cheap POS
Other - Panasonic 50" Plasma

2) What would you change in your home theater system? AV Furniture

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Amp/Receiver

1 - I put this together about 10yrs ago based purely on sound, I was single then and looks did not matter, I wanted a crisp clear real sounding subwoofer, that was all. My better half doesn't really give me a hard time about it now since I had them when we met.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Contest Questions:

My signature:

Samsung 52" LN52A650 LCD; GLOSSY BLACK
Oppo DV-980H DVD; BLACK
Yamaha RX-V2300 Receiver; BLACK
EMP E5Ti Impression Series Speakers; BLACK ASH
MCM Custom Audio 50-908 Rears; BLACK
APC H15 Power Conditioner; SILVER
Logitech Harmony 670 Remote; SILVER
Sennheiser RS 140 Earphones; SILVER
Linksys DMA2200 Media Center Extender BLACK

My screen (52 inch lcd to front projection) AND
Rear speakers for now.

Screen to front projection.

I only need to match the color. finish, I am iffy on.

My answer: 7.

Thank you.

Q

qwerty2op

Audiophyte
Win the contest

1. Amp/Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR606 (Black)
2. Speakers - Athena AS-B1's (Front and Rear), AS-C1 (Center)
3. Sub(s) - Athena AS-P400 & Polk PSW150
4. Sources - Sony BDP-S300 (Blu-Ray) Black and Blue; Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD) Black; Pioneer DV-563A (DVD, DVD-A, SACD) Silver; Roku Box (Black)
5. AV furniture - black painted steel and glass stand
6. Other - Panasonic TH-42PX60U Plasma; Panamax M5400EX power conditioner; Monster, Monoprice, Blue Jeans cables

2) What would you change in your home theater system? Newer (larger) television (professionally calibrated), better rack with fan system, acoustic room treatments, blackout curtains

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? television

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 2 - At the time I bought my sub I knew I wanted to match my Athena speakers with the Athena sub, so matching wasn't really an issue. I already had my Polk sub which, like almost all subs at the time, was/is black. Black goes with most everything.

N

nadroj

Enthusiast

1. Amp/Receiver - Pioneer HTS-GS1 HTIB "receiver" - white
2. Speakers - Pioneer HTS-GS1 HTIB speakers - white
3. Sub(s) - Pioneer HTS-GS1 HTIB sub - white
4. Sources Xbox 360, PS3, Dish Network, Dell Laptop
5. AV furniture - None
6. Other - Samsung LCD HDTV

2) What would you change in your home theater system? New speakers, sub, receiver, and a larger TV eventually.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Speakers

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 3. I am not very picky aesthetically. While it is definitely a plus if they do match, I can certainly live with something that does not if it has superior sound quality at a lower price.

808htfan

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:
Aperion is celebrating 10 years of making high value home audio speaker systems. They’d like to get your input to help them continue to serve you and your audio needs.

• Amp/Receiver
  • Speakers
  • Sub(s)
  • Sources
  • AV furniture
  • Other

1)
Receiver:
Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD

Speakers:
Paradigm Monitor 5 v.3, CC-190 v.5, Mini Monitor v.2 - all in black

Sub:
Adire Rava - black

Sources:
Sci.Atl. 8300HD cable box - it came in silver
Oppo BDP-83
Denon DVM-2845CI
Yamaha DVD-C961
Sony CDP-CX455
Slim Devices Squeezebox 2 wireless - black

AV furniture:
Sanus Euro Series EFAV TV stand/shelf - black shelves w/ silver pillars

Other:
Sony KDL-40XBR2 - changed silver bezel to black one
mix of cables and connectors from Bluejeans, Rhino Cables, Monoprice, Acoustic Research, Parts Express, Radio Shack, etc

2) Probably would change placement of speakers and sub (gee, everything else too)...limited by size of apartment right now.

3) If not living in an apartment, would upgrade the sub for more 'oomph' in movies or perhaps the center channel speaker. Otherwise, upgrade the Squeezebox2 to the Squeezebox Touch so I could access my music without needing my computer to be on and running the server.

4) 3 out of 10, Matching sub color/finish to speakers wasn't important because the rest of the room is cluttered with all kinds of things/colors/finishes. Also, not a wide variety of choices at the time.

Thanks for the great prizes! :cool:

Last edited:

2x4Ninja

Audiophyte

Amp/Receiver - Onkyo 707 (black)
Speakers - coming soon...3 Paradigm Cinema 330s and 2 Cinema 90s (black)
Sub(s) - coming soon...eD A2-300 (black)
Sources - OTA, Panasonic DMP BD-60, Xbox 360, Wii
AV furniture - Cheap Target TV stand and matching towers with glass shelves and a drawer (black)
Other - Mitsubishi 62" DLP and 40" Sony LCD

The system is/will pretty much brand new since I finally got the money to get a real system. I would probably change the TV since its 5+ years old. Some nice bookshelf speakers would be ideal to get a fuller sound. Some sweet AV furniture would be also be awesome.

TV or a nicer blu-ray player (Oppo).

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color).

10, only because I don't have a dedicated HT. It's the great room so it is used for everything and as one would suspect, had to get my wife's approval not only on color but size. :)

woofersus

woofersus

Audioholic

1. Amp/Receiver
Yamaha RX-V663 in Black

2. Speakers
AV123 RS450's in front, ELT525T's in the Rear, and an RSC100mkII Center, all Rosewood

3. Sub(s)
AV122 MFW-15 in satin black

4. Sources
Logitech Squeezebox 3, (the older silver one) a Sony BDP-S370, and a Dish Network ViP722k

5. AV furniture
Just a small black (painted) TV stand from World Market

6. Other
Three speaker cables from Planet Waves and two homemade, Monoprice HDMI and subwoofer cables, a Monster digital coax cable, and a Logitech Harmony One

I'm looking to upgrade the front three speakers at least, although I'm quite happy with the look of Rosewood, and I'm interested in replacing the sub as well for reliability reasons. Finally, I'd like to add a separate multichannel amplifier. I'd continue to use the RX-V663 as a pre/pro and would only upgrade that when it becomes worth the money for features like HD Radio, DLNA or other streaming ability, media center extender capability, or other such home networking features.

The first upgrade will most likely be the front speakers.

I'd give it a 4, because in most situations satin black is OK with any other color speakers. I definitely would not mix veneers in my HT system as appearance is very important to me. (and my wife)

C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
My Frankenstein System

1. Amp/Receiver
HK AVR7000 Black

2. Speakers
ESS Heil AMt1B Mains Walnut and black
HTD Level 3 Center Cherry
Acoustic Research M1 Surrounds Black

3. Sub(s)
MK V-125 Black

4. Sources
Comcast SA HD8300 TV and Cable Music Silver
OPPO DVD player (not in service at this time, using PC for DVD's but usually play HD video files these days. Silver
HTPC for the rest Silver and Black

5. AV furniture
JVC Stand that came with my TV

6. Other
JVC 60" Rear Projection TV (Silver and Black)
Harmony 880 remote (Absolutely Essential!)

TV, this one is getting on in years, picture still is great but some problem with HDMI sources
Surrounds and Center channel
New TV/Component stand (HK receiver is tall, deep and HEAVY!)

HTPC need an upgrade

1 Black works fine

This system has been evolving over the years, the last thing I would replace is the Heils, their sound quality is second to none (IMHO). The HK AVR7000 was a very recent and welcome addition.

I would love to be able to upgrade my system as a whole, I know that the Aperion's are a great system and would love to audition a set. :)

If I get a color choice, cherry is my favorite.

Last edited:
bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic

1. Amp/Receiver - Onkyo HT-RC180 - Black

2. Speakers - Axiom Audio M80, VP150, QS8 - Mansfield Beech

3. Sub(s) - Polk Audio PSW505 - Black

4. Sources - LG BD570 Blu ray player, Toshiba HD-A30 HD DVD player, Nintendo Wii, Sony Playstation 3, DirecTV
5. AV furniture - Reclining love seat and couch set

6. Other - Samsung LN52A650 52" LCD

2) What would you change in your home theater system? Better wire management and furniture

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Subwoofer Upgrade. For this room I want something that plays much lower.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. A 3 for me and an 8 for my wife. I would much rather invest in the best sub possible. If they make it in a color that matches for me then that's great. If not, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic

1. Amp/Receiver: JVC RX-888V, Black finish
2. Speakers: Energy E:XL 16(x4) and E:XL C center channel, black matte faux wood finish
3. Sub(s): Energy XL-10, black matte finish
4. Sources: Oppo 971H DVD player(silver) and Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray(black)
5. AV furniture: Knotty Pine cabinet

2) What would you change in your home theater system?-Everything, one step at a time

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system?-Either the speakers or the Reciever(to amp/processor)

3- I initially bought two bookshelf speakers and a matching sub, then a few years later filled out the rest of the system. I was more concerned on timbre matching the system than matching the finish, but that was before I found out subs didn't really need to be "timbre matched" to mains/center/rears. I'm not so concerned with having a matching finish on a sub because the sub is going to be as hidden as possible. A similar color would be nice, but I don't think it needs to be more than that.

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
1) Onkyo TX-SR601
Paradigm Monitor 7 Left/Right (black ash)
Paradigm Atom Surrounds (black ash)
Paradigm CC-150 Center Channel (black ash)
Fisher SW2000 Subwoofer (matte black)
Sources: PS3, Macbook, iPod
AV Furniture: Junky wal-mart tv stand
Monoprice cables
Panasonic Plasma
2) I need some acoustic treatments for my room.
3) I'd upgrade my subwoofer first without a doubt
4) 1, Subwoofer color/finish didn't matter one bit, since my budget was very small.

jasoneuc

jasoneuc

Audioholic Intern

1. Amp/Receiver: Rotel RSX-965 AVR black
2. Speakers: Axiom M50 rosewood (L,R), Paradigm CC-350 black (C), Paradigm Titan (Surr) black
3. Sub(s): none
4. Sources: Denon DVD 1940CI (black)
5. AV furniture: homemade audio rack
6. Other

2) What would you change in your home theater system? Display, currently a 27" Sony 27 XBR CRT

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Display.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. Rate as 7. If purchasing a system, I'd want it to match the rest. If piecemeal system, not as important.

K

kluvlaw

Enthusiast
Amp/Receiver- Yamaha RX-V3900, Kenwood Soverign 5900- black
Speakers- Energy, av123, Bic America- black & cherry
Sub(s)- earthquake- cherry
Sources- Toshiba HD-DVD A35, Playstation 3- black
AV furniture- Toshiba, Sanus- silver, black
Other- Toshiba DLP- silver

I'd like a level matched 5.1/7.1 suround setup, I need to network my receiver/ps3/computer, and I'd like a new TV.
I'd love to swap my Toshiba DLP (stinkin bulbs) for a Pioneer Kuro or LED backlit TV (dreaming)!
It doesn't, so I guess about a 4.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Amp/Receiver
Speakers
Sub(s)
Sources
AV furniture
Other
One system:
Integra receiver (grey)
Yamaha Amps (grey)
WmAx custom (koa and silver)
none
Sony CD player (blak)
a couch.

Adding surround, improving the projector and projector screen. Cleaning up room interaction issues.

Projector screen.

2. The sub needs to blend in with the overall room, or disappear from it. Black is pretty simple to match with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis