Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smorsm3

Audiophyte
Great contest!!

I setup my own home theater and I am usually the one people come to for electronic advise. I have helped many a friend save money $$$ on electronic purchases.

I own an Axiom Audio 5.1 system and would love to add to the WOW factor by getting more axiom products.

salad 419

salad 419

Audioholic Intern
I picked Good Knowledge, but have never used an SPL meter or Test CD.
I can hook up all of the components just fine. Although it's been a few years since I've done it and never used components with all of the fancy auto-calibration features. I'm in the process of rebuilding my HT.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have my own small business offering installation, hook up, setup and calibration for home theaters, so I put Expert :)

E

extreme

Audiophyte
I have a good knowledge of the setup and everything.. I have the SPL meter now so with a little playing around i should be able to set up my system with out the use of the auto features

Ken

fieldwalker

Audiophyte
good basic level.
Learned through surfing this and other sites, no test CD or SPL though.
I can set up a system fairly well depending upon the ease of use of the receiver. Just ordered some M3s and a VP100!

C

Cozmo

Audioholic
Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Can set things up fine, calibration can be somewhat tricky....

-Coz

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
I had to say "good". I can pull it out of the box, plug it all in, route wires nicely, and get it up and running. I can even calibrate some, not a whole lot, I don't have any tools other than my ears and the ones built into the hardware I have, and the DVE disc. I basically get it sounding good to me and as natural as my current setup can and then leave it.

Steve

U

upyourkilt

Enthusiast
contest

I posted good knowledge because I do have passion for this hobby. I enjoy reading my h.t mags and giving advise to family and friends. Also enjoy reading the forums and other audio sites.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
I voted good knowledge. I can set up a system fairly easy from start to finish and calibrate with Avia. I'm not that great with an SPL so I did not pick expert. I figure this is about how the ears hear so if it sounds good, it is set up properly. It's not just about the wires, you have to do some tweaking.

Bryguy

D

dak0716

Audiophyte
I posted as Good Knowledge. I can hook everything up and use the auto calibrate function on my Denon. I have a lot more to learn when it comes to setting up a system using my own judgement and a meter.

aircare1

aircare1

Enthusiast
almost good?

I kept my system simple by going with Yamaha DSP & Sub, and then I only had to plug them up to my Plasma TV. The YSP1 requires a manual setup, which I got thru w/out much trouble. My system sound and view are sufficient. However, when I build my next home I'm gonna' hire an expert to prewire & setup my true home theater (if the wife's kitchen doesn't go to far over budget!)...

R

RcRaider

Audiophyte
Basic for me, I can set it all up but fine tuning I'm still learning.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Besides setting up my own system I have helped a few friends with theirs. While getting a basic speaker placement and level matching them is no problem for me, I still need to use auto setup for the eq'ing of the system. Interconnects are not a problem for me.

Jack

J

JustinCleveland

Audiophyte
I consider myself in the "good" category because I can do all the wiring fairly well, and can tweak the A/V settings, but only using things like Avia. I couldn't use an SPL to save my life. Fortunately it has become rather easy to be considered an "expert;" everything is plug-and-play, for the most part.

BoomieMCT

Audiophyte
I rated myself as "good". I have built subs, measured and equalized a room (with Room EQ Wizard) and set up acoustic treatments but my Panny AE900 remains unoptimized.

C

cdmarquez

Audiophyte
I chose good knowledge cause I can set up a system from start to finish but I have yet to set up an elite system. I am in the market for a whole new system since my new house will have a dedicated theater room. Should be lots of fun!!!

P

project86

Audioholic
I can usually get most things set up and working well, but I'm certainly no expert. The things that do end up confusing me are usually the things that are poorly designed (and documented in the manual), such as assigning digital inputs to different video inputs. Shouldn't be a problem, but on some systems it has been terrible to figure out.

millerbrad

millerbrad

Enthusiast
I can hook everything up, but I know only enough about equipment calibration to be dangerous.

Now, where's my $1000? :cool:

F

f0am

Audioholic
Hah, acording to the definitions im an expert... Gene you beter change my profile from member to "A/V Expert" hehehehe

B

bronson

Audiophyte
I have a decent amount of audio experience in the home studio setting but, I’m fairly new to home theater. There’s some overlap, but I would still consider myself a beginner. So yes, I’m just doing the research and trying to figure out the best options, configurations, etc. Audioholics has been enormously helpful in that. Like other audio projects, this is proving to be terrifically gratifying and costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis