Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
dwayland

dwayland

Audioholic
Audio/Video is an ever growing passion with me so I always a sponge when it comes to learning new and old methods for ever better sound production. I would never say that I were an expert, but I know a heck of a lot more than your average Joe, big box retail AV customer and I owe allot of what I do know to this forum and other's like it. Also, more and more ID companies are releasing technical and some not so technical information on their products, before, during and after development, which I find very, very interesting, educational and all out fun to read. I also get's me involved with their products on a more personal level. Anyway, I totally admit it, I am an AV junkie and my wife swears that I have wires connected to posterior region. :D

crewst

crewst

Enthusiast
Good Knowledge

I chose "Good Knowledge"...

I can connect everything, and still use DVD-based calibration. I am by no means an expert though, and learn a lot from forums like this.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
I have what I consider good knowledge. Maybe not so much about specific speaker specifications or frequency response charts or anything like that...but when it comes to hooking up electronics, it has always been a piece of cake for me.

I remember the first a/v equipment piece I ever hooked up. It must have been around 1984/1985 or so, I was 10 or 11. We had finally just gotten our first VCR (my mom went out and spent the big cusk, woohoo!) but my dad was gone camping for the weekend. It was Friday night and we couldn't watch the movie my mom bought until Sunday night at the earliest! UUUUGGGG!! So, Saturday morning I get up and take it out of the box and read the instrux and hook it up, pop in the movie, and....magic! A movie playing on our TV the WE OWN! How cool was that?!?! So, all excited and full of manly pride (at age 10, I didn't know what it was, but now I know it was that manly pride ;) ) I go get my mom and show her.

She yells at me that I don't know what I'm doing and I'm too young for touching electronics and even though it was PLAYING THE MOVIE she made me unhook everything and rebox it for my father to DO IT RIGHT. She didn't ground me, but it was close.

So, my dad comes home and after me annoying him to all heck to hook it up, he reads the instrux and flabergastedly says, "I can't do this. Michael, you do it." I was shocked, astounded, dumbfounded and speechless.

I was hooking it up and my mom came in, she said "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!" and I just pointed to my dad and he said "I can't hook that thing up, I am having Michael do it. Relax, I'm watching him."

I laughed so hard (in my head, mind you). LOL. :D

To this day, my dad can still barely work a simple remote control let alone set up anything a/v related. :cool:

M

madadam

Enthusiast
setup knowledge

I chose good knowledge - I know how to put all the pieces together based on experiences mainly in the last several years. I generally do a lot of research, and as my equipment has jumped from HTIB to separate components I have learned accordingly. Weakest point is probably newer visual interfaces/resolutions; I use component cables and my projector is 480p. But I love to play around and experiment, which is how I became an 'expert' for audio setup. i have also advised and set up systems for family/friends.

T

Tori

Audiophyte
I chose basic knowledge. I do my research and help all the neighbors with their purchasing decisions. I can certainly get things wired up and I grasp the concepts, but way too many of my friends are audio professionals for me to ever consider myself good, much less expert.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I chose basic knowledge. Even though I know how to hook up all the wires, I don't really know how to calibrate the volumes, find the best placement for the speakers and the sub, etc.

I know, when push comes to shove, I can always ask the guys in this forum.;)

mlbillow

mlbillow

Audioholic Intern
I am by no means an expert, but I like to think I am fairly knowledgable about the equipment and its propper set up and configuration. There is always something new to learn, always new products coming out, etc., which is what makes it such a good hobby (you never get bored or tired of it!)

UhOhBadDog

UhOhBadDog

Audiophyte
Pick me, pick me, so I can keep learning! ;)

I rated myself Basic... Although I am learning more everyday, and trending toward "Good". I can set up everything I have so far, fairly confidently (connect the wires, etc), but troubleshooting and calibrating, et al, are still in my future learning. But I do want to learn!

Audioholics has been a key resource for me to this point, and your guides and reviews have been invaluable as I have taken steps along the path to setting up my system. Thanks, and keep up the great work!

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
I picked basic knowledge. I don't have a home theater system yet... just the 2 watt speakers on my old CRT but I have been reading about them for the past two years.

I don't expect any difficulties, however. I routinely wire up my house (adding circuits/service entrance/etc) to NEC 2005. I run a business building computers / HTPCs... and I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering.

B

brucewoodington

Audioholic Intern
Good knowledge, and learning more every day from the people on this site.

H

Huffer

Audiophyte
I chose good knowledge because I can set-up my system, do some basic audio calibrations with a sound meter, and also do some basic video calibrations with a DVD.

I don't consider myself an expert because I don't know things regarding sub setup and placement, or how to properly setup my room (bass traps, etc)

A

Ascorbic

Audiophyte
I went with good. I can hook everything up and run some basic set-up to tune the system, but I'm not comfortable changing advanced features. I know where to find answers when I have trouble too, though I often don't know the anwers on my own.

O

ouchakov

Enthusiast
I picked good knowledge

I enjoy hooking up and setting new equipment, including auto audit calibrating and tinkering with Video Essentials to get my picture right.

Cheers,

- Alex

T

tnilsson

Audiophyte
I picked "expert" but I assume that means something less than "professional" because I am by no means anything other than an interested amateur in all this.

C

clayman88

Junior Audioholic
In my humble opinion, I feel like I've got a good amount of knowledge in the A/V world thanks to forums like this and lots of trial & error. I'm comfortable setting up & configuring most AV equipment, but I do count on the internet and other sources to fine-tweak and troubleshoot certain issues. :)

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
No expert, but good

What a great giveaway! Thanks!!!

I have the experience and knowledge to know how to setup a medium complexity AV system from start to finish. I understand the cable and connector difference and what devices should use which connector/cable.

I am not an expert, however, as I do now have a solid understanding of calibration (video and audio) and have never used a test CD to tweak the sound settings. My next home theater systems, however, will motivate me to explore these options.

In case it matters, I am currently using speakers that are sub-par and have been planning on upgrading to Axiom M60 speakers with a VP150 center and QS8 surrounds. Sure hope I win!!!

C

cmaehler

Audiophyte
I have read a lot and have set up a number of electronic devices, but since I do not have the budget or a wife that would let me have a super system my knowledge is limited.

C

chpwaman

Audioholic Intern
Good Knowledge

I chose Good Knowledge...I read a lot about Home Theater systems and have learned A Lot from this forum. The idea of getting my hands "dirty" with setting up a system is probably where I get the most enjoyment, as is getting new equipment. My lack of knowledge is more in the technical area with regards to ohms, amps, distortion, impedance, etc. I don't really care why it sounds good or looks good...as long as it does.

This is probably one of the best giveaways I have seen in the short time I have been a member of this forum. I have personally never listened to Axiom, I have searched their site many times and even emailed Alan (I think)with some questions. His helpfullness and speed in responding was very impressive. It will definitely be a speaker brand I consider as I update my system.

fatroz

fatroz

Audioholic Intern
A little practice here and there and I think most people can become fairly proficient in setting up home theater systems. Just practice on your friends systems. They will appreciate you helping them, you will get practice, and if something goes wrong...it's not your equipment.:D

B

bigpow

Audioholic Intern
Basic for me.
I know about the technology & how to set it up, but I don't know how to hide wires inside the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis