EMP Tek 1010i question

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Got an e-mail last night from FedEx; the 1010i has shipped from Salt Lake, UT.

Suicide Watch meter has been lowered to "moderately unlikely". :D

Also Miss Marple (read=wife) has notified me that my ruse has been detected and I will be monitored henceforth for any other audio related purchases. :cool:
When did you place your order? So far, the only email I've gotten is the 6-7 day delay email. But, I'd also waited until the 29th to order.

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
I am in process of move in Jan, gotta start reading down! Good things cone to those who wait, lol, however I may just have to test one out with current Energy RC mini 5 system.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I got an updated FedEx tracking e-mail that shipment is delayed due to "A winter storm is causing delays and disruptions across the U.S.". My new estimated time of delivery has been pushed back to 12/10/2013.

The God's have surely abandoned me!!!

Well at least I can stop staring at the front door like a terrier collie. :D

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
I for my tracking update notice, will have to look again as I did see there was a weather alert!

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
One of my pair has arrived and I will pick up Monday am!!

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Initial impressions of 1010i

Well Moby has beached these fair shores and made it-self right at home. Moby maybe a bit of a stretch; more like a svelte puffer fish. :rolleyes:

While the veneer (high-gloss black) is not an exact match to the piano-black lacquer LS50’s, it could get away with being a first-cousin. Unless you look closer, you wouldn’t notice the difference. From all appearances, great fit & finish and a bit more hefty than I had imagined. Packing could have been a bit more robust but no visible damage to unit; 2 small outer box perforations.

Being the patient sort I pressed it into service within 15 minutes of crossing the threshold. Noodled around with the volume & crossover but definitely needs some fine tuning. It doesn’t seem to go as deep as the old Velodyne but it is more musically accurate … no surprise there, since the Velodyne goes down to 25Hz vs. the reported 30Hz for the 1010i … which was the goal from the git-go, so I’m very happy in that respect. I’ll run YPAO tomorrow and report back in a week or two and give you my impressions since EMP Tek recommends a continuous full hour or two of break-in to loosen the driver suspensions.

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Excellent look forward to your feedback on the sub after you have had time to tinker. My second arrived today and one is at home in a box. May peek at it over weekend!

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Mine haven't even shipped yet :(

I MIGHT.......be getting an RBH SX-1212 to play with though :D

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
My house is in shambles , sold my 58" plasma last night, relegated to watch tube on a 50 till we move and can set up the 70". I want to open the pair up but short on time!

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Mine haven't even shipped yet :(

I MIGHT.......be getting an RBH SX-1212 to play with though :D
mine shipped yesterday! Although, I wouldn't mind trading them for the sx-1212. Will you have it long enough to compare with the 1010i.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Final impressions of EMP Tek 1010i Subwoofer

I did the old sub crawl and ended up putting the unit where the previous Velodyne sub was located. The volume level is at 50%, the crossover is set to 80Hz and I ran the Yamaha YPAO equalization program.

I’m a bit conflicted about this sub and a lot of it has to do with is that I keep comparing it to the SVS PB12-NSD in my main setup. It’s not a fair comparison; spec, size and price wise. The biggest problem for me is the room; a 14’x14’ nightmare where space is at a minimum, for various reasons. Realistically 2 of these subs would be optimal but I just don’t have the space to make it happen unless I remove the existing entertainment furniture and get some A/V racks. Two high-end 8”s or one 10”/12” sealed unit(s) would be perfect (SVS, HSU, Rythmik, etc.). But perfection doesn’t come cheap, so we make compromises. When I look and listen to it objectively though, as much as one can, I’m very happy. The sub shines with music, even with hip-hop or dance; very detailed if not teeth rattling. My standard sub reference music is Bob Marley and it passed with flying colors, be it at low or high volumes. As I write this I’m listening to Bowie’s Suffragette City and it is kicking a$$!!! Trevor Bolder never sounded better. No bloat just that bass guitar driving the runaway train that was the Spiders. Now it’s De-Phazz with that jazz-lounge vibe reverberating in my spine … again a very musical sub.

The only HT test I put it thru was watching an on-air cable broadcast of Thor (3.1 setup) and it was more than acceptable compared to my older unit, which had the rumble & shakes but not much definition. But like I said previously, music is where this unit earns its keep for me.

I would definitely recommend the 1010i but it may falter in a bigger room but at this price you can’t go wrong and the WAF is very high. She, who is Queen of All She Surveys, tried to convince me to put it in the main room but I politely declined diplomatically, pointing out that the veneer didn’t match the Focal’s standard finish. I do know at this price ($250) and dimensions you’re not likely to find a better sounding sub, especially for music.
I’ve included some pic's.

Please excuse the clutter.
View attachment 12814
EMP Tek 1010i & LS50.jpg
View attachment 12816

Last edited:
ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
What about turning another e1010i on over and stacking them? Remove the feet on the top one, the ports will face up, but you'd never see them as it's in a corner. Plus you'd be corner loaded and stacked with 2 subs so for $500 you could have a heck of an improvement if you'd like. Just a thought. I know someone did that with 4 of the e1010i's.

Hopefully I'll get both of my e1010's soon. I hate waiting. Super impatient lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did the old sub crawl and ended up putting the unit where the previous Velodyne sub was located. The volume level is at 50%, the crossover is set to 80Hz and I ran the Yamaha YPAO equalization program.

I’m a bit conflicted about this sub and a lot of it has to do with is that I keep comparing it to the SVS PB12-NSD in my main setup. It’s not a fair comparison; spec, size and price wise. The biggest problem for me is the room; a 14’x14’ nightmare where space is at a minimum, for various reasons. Realistically 2 of these subs would be optimal but I just don’t have the space to make it happen unless I remove the existing entertainment furniture and get some A/V racks. Two high-end 8”s or one 10”/12” sealed unit(s) would be perfect (SVS, HSU, Rythmik, etc.). But perfection doesn’t come cheap, so we make compromises. When I look and listen to it objectively though, as much as one can, I’m very happy. The sub shines with music, even with hip-hop or dance; very detailed if not teeth rattling. My standard sub reference music is Bob Marley and it passed with flying colors, be it at low or high volumes. As I write this I’m listening to Bowie’s Suffragette City and it is kicking a$$!!! Trevor Bolder never sounded better. No bloat just that bass guitar driving the runaway train that was the Spiders. Now it’s De-Phazz with that jazz-lounge vibe reverberating in my spine … again a very musical sub.

The only HT test I put it thru was watching an on-air cable broadcast of Thor (3.1 setup) and it was more than acceptable compared to my older unit, which had the rumble & shakes but not much definition. But like I said previously, music is where this unit earns its keep for me.

I would definitely recommend the 1010i but it may falter in a bigger room but at this price you can’t go wrong and the WAF is very high. She, who is Queen of All She Surveys, tried to convince me to put it in the main room but I politely declined diplomatically, pointing out that the veneer didn’t match the Focal’s standard finish. I do know at this price ($250) and dimensions you’re not likely to find a better sounding sub, especially for music.
I’ve included some pic's.

Please excuse the clutter.
View attachment 12814
View attachment 12815
View attachment 12816
What finish is that? Piano gloss black? It looks better than my RBH SX-1010N. :eek:

You could stack one 1010 on top of another (if you can remove the sub feet ). That would give you 6dB+.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Yup that's their Black Ash finish. It's black, wood grain veneer with a clear coat on it. Looks really nice for the price. REALLY nice! They've got this color (Black Ash) and Red Burl, which is also very nice looking

rb.jpeg

^ This guy had nothing but good things to say also when compared to the HSU vt3-mk4 and Dayton DIY sub

Red Burl
rb1.jpg

I think adding another on top like I mentioned would be awesome. Like the picture below (not mine). Maybe she wouldn't even notice since it's in the corner! Muahaha

+

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
What about turning another e1010i on over and stacking them? Remove the feet on the top one, the ports will face up, but you'd never see them as it's in a corner. Plus you'd be corner loaded and stacked with 2 subs so for $500 you could have a heck of an improvement if you'd like. Just a thought. I know someone did that with 4 of the e1010i's.
WOW, I never thought of that. :eek::rolleyes:

Does it sound good? Did you hear the 4 sub setup yourself? You've got me thinking, that's for sure. I'm very pleased with the sound as is but I wouldn't mind a little more depth to it. And by depth I mean below 30Hz, the existing max on the 1010i. More than likely down the road I'm going to replace the entertainment center and get A/V racks, making the addition of a 2nd 1010i more likely. Who knows what my budget/location will be by then, since I'm going to start looking for a 1/4 acre of land this spring to build our retirement home. I try to live by the old maxim about long range plans, "Man plans, God decides". ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That looks good. But can those feet be unscrewed?

Eight 10" woofers should be quite nice for bass.

I like how the subs are actually BIGGER than the speaker towers. :D

I have ten 10" woofers (SX-1010 x 5). :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis