EMP Tek 1010i question

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Easy. Do you watch or listen to a lot of stuff with sub 30hz content? If so, lv12r. If not, dual e1010i.
The 1010 still produces sound below 30Hz, maybe not as much as a larger HSU but it's not a brickwall response either. Room gain should also help if he corner loads the subs.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
When I think of true usage it will probably be about 25% my son on Xbox playing sports games, 40% movies and reg TV sports and balance music. I believe I will find the 1010i's a huge upgrade over what I have now. The voice inside me is just saying order the 101i's and be done with it for now, use the saved hundred towards another Sonos speaker for room listening.

The Sonos is a great little system. Sounds good and easy to setup. I just did an entire Sonos system for my Sister-in-Law's new medical practice. She loves it.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
I would think the JBL 150P while ugly would have more accurate Bass than the EMP?
What about the JBL ES250P? I can't seem to find any measurements on that. It's the previous model, but it's also bigger and has more power. Plus, the flat top allows for speaker placement, although the 1010i would provide a better listening height.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Some stuff I found on the es250pbk from Sound & Vision:

Bass limits (lowest frequency and maximum SPL with limit of 10% distortion at 2 meters in a large room) 25 Hz at 86 dB SPL; 104 dB average SPL from25 to 62 Hz; 113 dB maximum SPL at 62 Hz bandwidth uniformity 92%

* To its credit, the ES250P can deliver 105 dB SPL (@ 2 meters) from 32 Hz upward.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Some stuff I found on the es250pbk from Sound & Vision:

Bass limits (lowest frequency and maximum SPL with limit of 10% distortion at 2 meters in a large room) 25 Hz at 86 dB SPL; 104 dB average SPL from25 to 62 Hz; 113 dB maximum SPL at 62 Hz bandwidth uniformity 92%

* To its credit, the ES250P can deliver 105 dB SPL (@ 2 meters) from 32 Hz upward.
The 25 Hz @ 86 dB with 10% distortion is interesting. I'm wondering how it compares to the 20 Hz @ 85dB that Gene came up with for the 1010i - as far as distortion and measurement room-size go, that is

My intention is to find a pair of subs for music only in an 1800 cu ft room. These will be paired with either the Revel M20s (45 Hz) or Dennis Murphy's CAOW2s (50 Hz). The 1010is are attractive as I can use them as speaker stands, but I'm concerned about integration as I won't be using a crossover (other than what the subs come with).

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
What about the JBL ES250P? I can't seem to find any measurements on that. It's the previous model, but it's also bigger and has more power. Plus, the flat top allows for speaker placement, although the 1010i would provide a better listening height.
Reviews seem good, quality seems suspect with lots of complaints but one must take that with a grain of salt, seems they improved an issue from earlier models, it is on the cheap at $199. I am gonna order a pair of 1010i's not of the usual.........

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
The 25 Hz @ 86 dB with 10% distortion is interesting. I'm wondering how it compares to the 20 Hz @ 85dB that Gene came up with for the 1010i - as far as distortion and measurement room-size go, that is

My intention is to find a pair of subs for music only in an 1800 cu ft room. These will be paired with either the Revel M20s (45 Hz) or Dennis Murphy's CAOW2s (50 Hz). The 1010is are attractive as I can use them as speaker stands, but I'm concerned about integration as I won't be using a crossover (other than what the subs come with).
From what I have read on various sites and feedback from owners using for music they are very happy with a couple persons having paid 499 in past and now grabbing a second at the 249 shipped price, I personally don't think you can go wrong

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
forgot to mention that there is now a 6 to 7 businss day delay on shipping, per EMPTek ... (sighing & rolling fingers).

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Yeah it's always like that on their Black Friday sales. They get A LOT of orders. They do a good quality control check on all of them going out too

I think I'm going to sell my rw-12d pair for $500 today and pick up a pair of e1010i's instead. A few people who have had both say the rw-12d's get marginally louder, but it doesn't sound near as good. There is someone on the 'other' forum that tested the e1010i against the HSU vt3-mk4 and dayton titanic 12" and said the e1010i sounded near as clean as the vtf3-mk4 and had a surprising amount of bass. Not to mention they look incredible.

I would LOOVE if they made a dual 12" sub. Or even make the cabinet slightly larger on the dual 10's, put better woofers in and make the amp like 500w. They could easily fetch $450/ea

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The JBL 150P is SOLD OUT at NE. I'm sure the EMPtek will sell out. Better be quick. :)

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Got my order in and spoke with Brian at Emp Tek, yep there will be a 6-7 day delay before shipping, I am in no rush:) Look forward to my pair. I don't think this sub in a single would be near a match for a VTF-3 MK4, let alone a VTF-2 MK4, but they are alot less and I think easily worth the coin I spent

I ordered red burl but I may call em tomorrow and if not an issue I will choose black instead as I imagine if I want to resell them down the road black may be easier to move

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Yeah you're lucky it's only that long.. Last year they didn't anticipate the sale numbers and some orders took until mid December! Brian told me that isn't happening this year. They make all orders when they come in and check every single driver, cabinet, etc before shipping out.

Good luck with them and post pics and your initial impressions when you get them! The red burl always seems to go quickly in a sale so buy what you want. Either one is great looking

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Guys I have a question, with the November sale price of $249 shipped this is appealing to me in buying 2 sets. My home theatre room is 15x19 and I know one of these subs is not enough, I am wondering how 2 of them would do compared to my other choice of buying 1 Rhythmik LV12R. I realize the Rhythmik is a better sub and can go lower. Majority of use will be for movies and music probably 60/40

Go single Rhythmik or 2 of these? They definitely look nicer and I assume 2 would produce some nice sound
The man behind Rythmik -- Brian Ding -- is a music fanatic, so you can be assured the LV12R is at least as musical as the 1010i (but probably even more so). With proper placement -- key words being "proper placement" -- duals will indeed smooth out the response you get in room, so that aspect shouldn't be discounted. But realistically the Rythmik is a much better subwoofer, so it all depends upon what your own priorities are as to which option would be better.

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Well as it is I will own a pair of 1010i's . I realize the Rhythmik is better but since I live in Canada the end cost to bring the Rhythmik home is about 700, the pair of 1010i's about 520, bringing them home separately and paying no tax so to me the saved cash for bow was worth it. Coming from what I have pretty much anything will be better. Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Got an e-mail last night from FedEx; the 1010i has shipped from Salt Lake, UT.

Suicide Watch meter has been lowered to "moderately unlikely". :D

Also Miss Marple (read=wife) has notified me that my ruse has been detected and I will be monitored henceforth for any other audio related purchases. :cool:

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Got an e-mail last night from FedEx; the 1010i has shipped from Salt Lake, UT.

Suicide Watch meter has been lowered to "moderately unlikely". :D

Also Miss Marple (read=wife) has notified me that my ruse has been detected and I will be monitored henceforth for any other audio related purchases. :cool:
Sweet, looking forward to my pair shipping as well, although they will stay boxed till Jan 24th, well I will have a peek:)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis