EMP Impression Speaker

S

skinnypotbelly

Audiophyte
Does anyone know how these speakers compare to the infinity primus line?

G

gpzbc

Audioholic Intern
Efficiency?

I'm wondering about the efficiency of these speakers. I am powering them with a Denon AVR-1909, 90 watts x7 receiver. So I tend to look for more efficient speakers so as to not be underpowered. I've heard from someone that Klipsch are rather efficient, however I don't really care for the Klipsch sound all that much. The brightness can be abrasive to me.

Any thoughts on the efficiency of the EMP Impression?

Thanks so much. I'm a bit of a newbie and still undecided on these speakers.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm wondering about the efficiency of these speakers. I am powering them with a Denon AVR-1909, 90 watts x7 receiver. So I tend to look for more efficient speakers so as to not be underpowered. I've heard from someone that Klipsch are rather efficient, however I don't really care for the Klipsch sound all that much. The brightness can be abrasive to me.
The EMP Towers are 87dB SPL @ 1 watt/8ohms which is moderately efficient. A typical Klipsch speaker is anywhere between 5-6dB more efficient so a Klipsch speaker will play alot louder given the same wattage. However Klipsch speakers tend to have a lot more energy on the top end which some prefer and others do not. You're receiver should be enough to power the EMP speakers to satisfactory levels but if you are expecting to shake the house at concert levels for parties, get the Klipsch!

G

gpzbc

Audioholic Intern
The EMP Towers are 87dB SPL @ 1 watt/8ohms which is moderately efficient. A typical Klipsch speaker is anywhere between 5-6dB more efficient so a Klipsch speaker will play alot louder given the same wattage. However Klipsch speakers tend to have a lot more energy on the top end which some prefer and others do not. You're receiver should be enough to power the EMP speakers to satisfactory levels but if you are expecting to shake the house at concert levels for parties, get the Klipsch!
Thank you for your input. That answers my efficiency question. Now I just have to wait for some real reviews on sound quality before I make my final decision. After all, I am more concerned with sound quality than volume.

Thank you very much.

D

david-me

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for your input. That answers my efficiency question. Now I just have to wait for some real reviews on sound quality before I make my final decision. After all, I am more concerned with sound quality than volume.

Thank you very much.
I seems the only people that are giving their views are admins. and mods. of the site selling them. :eek: I need more reviews. :D

G

gpzbc

Audioholic Intern
I seems the only people that are giving their views are admins. and mods. of the site selling them. :eek: I need more reviews. :D
I know! Not that I don't trust them... but I would be foolish if I was satisfied with just that. I'm sure they are not dishonest, but I always like to do a bit of research before a big purchase like this. I just hope we get more reviews of them before the introductory price goes away.

D

david-me

Audioholic Intern
I'm hoping they will have different finishes available soon. Red woods are not my cup of tea, and the only finishes I like that are "shiny", like this speaker, would be a Piano Black.

S

smitty78

Audioholic Intern
I agree. I'm sure we'll get some feedback from a few folks here that purchased them. It is quite a gamble dropping a grand down without really knowing how they compare to other speakers in the $1000-1500 range.

If I were to buy the prettiest speakers packages I could find for $1000 dollars, I'd definately get a set of these EMP's. That's the worst thing you can do when buying audio equipment. Some of the ugliest speaker systems can produce the most beautiful music.

On the other hand, by the time we hear what folks have to say about these speakers, they'll be $700 a pair...which still isn't bad at all, given the sound quality is there.

N

nrp

Audiophyte
I went for it. Anything is an upgrade over the $40 Insignias I'm using now. I don't really care what they look like, but I imagine they'll sound better than the Infinity Primus towers I would have otherwise spent about as much on.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It will be nice when there are more people commenting that have heard them. Tomorrow and AverageJoe are not admins or mods, though, and they've both shared their thoughts on these.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
This shouldn't be surprising as AH had access to them before they were available to the public. Now that they are available to everyone else, you'll see "user" reviews trickle in.

The price on them is low enough and the return policy liberal enough that more than a few people will give them a chance i'm sure.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can appreciate that fact that you would like to see more reviews before making a purchase, but personally, I believe Audioholic reviews to be among the most unbiased out there and a very reliable source of information. Your post seems to imply that an Audioholic review/first impression/etc would not be a reliable source of information. How about taking a look at Gene's post from another thread on this subject? ...Actually, here it is:

EMP products can also be purchased on their webste and distribution. EMP/RBH is not related to Audioholics in any way other than they advertise on the editorial site and sell product thru our online store. The same could be said about Yamaha, and any of our advertisers or any magazine that takes advertising $$$'s and reviews products.

Here is an example of an article we wrote about one of our biggest advertisers and their products we sell on our e-store:
http://www.audioholics.com/education...nology/trading

you should also check out our Infinity speaker reviews which we also sell on our e-store.

It's funny to hear consumers wonder about our bias while I just got off the phone with one of our other long term advertisers that thinks our reviews of their products are too critical. We get this criticism often from our advertisers as they somehow think we will favor their products more just b/c they are buying ads on our site. Sorry thats not the way I run this site, nor how my admins or reviewers work. Anyone spending considerable time on this site surely recognizes this. If you don't trust the product/name b/c of the distribution through Audioholics then DON'T Buy Them! There are plenty of other great brands to chose from just as there are other good online and print magazines to read reviews from.

Please adhere to our forum rules by keeping this thread on topic and continuing in the Steam Vent if needed. thank you.

S

smitty78

Audioholic Intern
In reality, you have to take "user reviews" with a grain of salt. If they got even a decent review from someone that actually has heard what a quality setup sounds like...which they did, then that should speak louder volumes than joe blow who previously had a "endcap special" from Wal-mart. I read through some of those amazon reviews here and there and you wouldn't believe what people call "the best speakers ever". :rolleyes:

It helps when the person who auditions them share similiar taste as you but only you know what you like.

I've been tempted to buy a set of towers, myself. You really can't go wrong with a set like this for this price, especially with a return policy, IMO... especially if working with a budget under $1500 for a system or for folks that just want a set of inexpensive mains to play their tunes. I just happen to be fortunate enough at this time to have a more lenient budget, so I'm going to try out some of the big girls before deciding on what set fits me. :D

majorloser

majorloser

It will be nice when there are more people commenting that have heard them. Tomorrow and AverageJoe are not admins or mods, though, and they've both shared their thoughts on these.

I'm still waiting on MUDSHARK and Mazersteven to post their opinions. You guys need to harrass them with PM's for their thoughts. I admit I'm just some biased Audioholics moderator that should be completely ignored.

I still have these towers at home waiting to be shipped to somebody else for trials. I need to get rid of them before they find a place somewhere in my house.

N

nrp

Audiophyte
Sweet, and welcome to the forum! Please let us know what you think of them once you get them. Any idea when they should arrive?
This Thursday, luckily the same day as a monoprice order of speaker cable, banana plugs, and toslink reaches me.

G

gpzbc

Audioholic Intern
This Thursday, luckily the same day as a monoprice order of speaker cable, banana plugs, and toslink reaches me.
Ooh!! Ooh! I can't wait to hear your impressions (no pun intended):D

N

nsahoo

Audiophyte
receiver

Would a Denon 1610 adequately power these speakers?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis