EMP Impression Speaker

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
I love hearing the comparison between the TK Towers and these new speakers. Tom Andry is doing a detailed review as we speak and has both speakers in his posession. The TKs probably still have an overall edge in performance but as Dave said, the Impressions are much nicer on the eyes and are also lighter on the wallet. One thing I noticed is its an absolute must to use spikes on these speakers to help tighten up the bass response. Also they sit kinda low to the ground so you may want to consider buying outriggers that raise the speaker a couple of inches.

That price isn't going to last. They are basically selling them at cost to flood the market with fan boys :)
This may very well be the budget speaker of choice while it lasts!!! According to the Audioholic Store, you can put together a 5.0 system (Towers, center, and bookshelfs) for $775! :eek:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Tom Andry is doing a detailed review as we speak and has both speakers in his posession.
That price isn't going to last. They are basically selling them at cost to flood the market with fan boys :)
Tom put out an introductory article today. Can we expect more details before long.
The real question is, will we get measurements (FR curves, etc.) before the sale expires?
Thanks!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You and Dave are quite correct about the bass reach of the TK's. As I pointed out, the Impressions are small towers and need support from a sub. But the top end is much more refined, IMHO, less edgy and annoying compared to the TK's. And for sure, the Impressions are absolutely the best looking speakers in their class.
Good to know as I feared the TKs top end would beat the new Impression series. Personally I thought the Impressions had a good amount of bass output for their size and price though a sub is a definate must for home theater usage of course.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
Amidst preparations for the Northwest GTG next month, I finally had a chance to setup the whole EMP Impression series 5.1 system that was delivered here a while ago. Tomorrow and I had previously listened to the tower speakers only, and I agree with his comments a few posts back on the performance (no, I wasn't going to say '..his impressions of the Impressions').:D

I only listened to the entire 5.1 system for a short time - We'll have a better opportunity during the GTG to put 'em through a more complete evaluation by more people (when they are set up a little better in their designated room and reviewed by our guests). Not to mention an upcoming review by Tom.

I'll save most comments until after the event, but since it looks like these are now available for sale, just a couple thoughts on the complete system performance:
I think the surrounds and center speakers compliment the towers nicely for sound quality and timbre match, and the addition of the subwoofer really filled in the low end that was a little too subtle for movies from the towers alone (although I thought they did fine by themselves for much of the music I listen to - light jazz, acoustic guitars and piano, etc). I set everything up briefly in not-so-great locations in the small room (10' x 12') where they will be for the event, and played with the receiver crossover settings a bit - finally settling on 80HZ for the mains and 100Hz for the center and surrounds. They sounded very nice in there already, but I think they'll do even better when the placement is correct, and the room is prepared for audio listening and not full of furniture and building materials.

I know the appearance has already been mentioned quite a bit, but I gotta say: These are my favorite speakers in terms of looks, and each piece from Subwoofer to Center has the same style and look to it. I've always liked the size of my old Pinnacle towers, and these are about an inch taller and a little slimmer - I like the curved sides of the cabinets, and stained wood instead of black - And the fact that the high-gloss finish is on about every inch of the surface doesn't hurt either: Top, back, sides, even the bottom. It's just personal preference, of course, and While I prefer unobtrusive, non reflective black speakers in the theater room, these have every appearance feature I like, and are perfect for display in the living room.

Look forward to Tom's review, and hopefully more will chime in about them after the GTG.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Wow - that's a stupid good deal. Quick, someone give me $400! :D

They really are nice looking speakers. I thought they'd be more like $1500 a pair just based on appearance. Do we have any more specs, like drivers used and any measurements?

I'd love to hear a pair of these. Did I read correctly they'd be Internet Direct only?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I pulled a quick 1/2 meter (1/12th octave) on-axis in-room measurement before I shipped my samples to Tom for review. See attached. They do have a little bass bump below 100Hz which attributes to their "warm" sound attribute. The midrange is surprisingly linear which is often not the case for speakers in this price class. The top end is free from "brightness" as others have noted with their listening tests.

Also here is a link to Tom's First Look Article:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/emp-tek-e5ti

Attachments

Matt34

Matt34

Wow - that's a stupid good deal. Quick, someone give me $400! :D

They really are nice looking speakers. I thought they'd be more like $1500 a pair just based on appearance. Do we have any more specs, like drivers used and any measurements?

I'd love to hear a pair of these. Did I read correctly they'd be Internet Direct only?
If the drivers are sourced from RBH I would expect some impressive specs. I hope I can get up to Oregon in October to get my ears on them, the price sure does fit my budget and the looks are a total winner!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
If the drivers are sourced from RBH I would expect some impressive specs. I hope I can get up to Oregon in October to get my ears on them, the price sure does fit my budget and the looks are a total winner!
Matt, they're even prettier in person!

G

gpzbc

Audioholic Intern
Oh, I want these so bad. The looks almost have me sold, but I am still not quite convinced on the sound. I realize the price is a steal but I wonder if I couldn't get better sound quality without the stellar looks for the same price.

Does anyone know how long they will be on sale?
Thanks

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
I pulled a quick 1/2 meter (1/12th octave) on-axis in-room measurement before I shipped my samples to Tom for review. See attached. They do have a little bass bump below 100Hz which attributes to their "warm" sound attribute. The midrange is surprisingly linear which is often not the case for speakers in this price class. The top end is free from "brightness" as others have noted with their listening tests.

Also here is a link to Tom's First Look Article:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/emp-tek-e5ti
If this is the only real flaw with this speaker and seeing as this is not a speaker designed to produce low end bass anyway, how about crossing it over here? Should be able to get a pretty seamless blend if callibrated correctly anyway.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, I want these so bad. The looks almost have me sold, but I am still not quite convinced on the sound. I realize the price is a steal but I wonder if I couldn't get better sound quality without the stellar looks for the same price.

Does anyone know how long they will be on sale?
Thanks
Here, in brief is my opinion...caveats first.
Thanks to a friend who got a set of speakers in and asked me to listen to them, I have heard, seen, and A/B'ed the Impression towers against $600-$1,000/pair tower speakers. I am partial to JBL's (which were among the A/B'ed speakers). I have NOT liked EMP speakers (until now). I have no EMP/RBH/whatever speakers or interest in the success of their gear. In fact I have lamented about the company on this forum in the past. I currently own JBL, Aerial Acoustic, ACI, and Infinity speakers. That said.....

IF I needed or wanted a set of speakers that played music as well as anything in their class...and perhaps twice their price class...there is absolutely no doubt I would buy these in a heartbeat, especially at the sale price. They need a sub for the last octave and for home theater play. But between their neutral presentation, what I hear as a 'relatively' resonance free (there is always some) and perceived reasonably flat frequency performance, and last but not least their fabulous good looks, I might buy a pair even though I don't need them!

Lastly...free shipping and a liberal return policy so you can audition them yourself. What the heck are you waiting for?! :)

R-Carpenter

R-Carpenter

Audioholic
Speaking for myself, I personally don't like being accused of being phony and pimping for this speaker...and it seems a bit nervy to then ask for more information with a "thanks and best".

I have no investment in RBH/EMP. I called it like I heard and saw it. I mentioned that I didn't like the previous EMP offerings but these Impressions were superior to those in every way. I gave brief comparison opinions based upon A/B'ing them with other speakers in their class. Take it as you will, but I feel offended. And I'd guess Dave does too.
I apologize, didn't mean to offend you at all. I also missed the already existing banner on the top page for EMP.
So I guess this are wonderful speakers in it's class they do everything absolutely peachy. I mean, I looked at the SPL but I would attribute +/- 5db in the response to the quickness of measurements and post processing. Would you be so kind to answer my previous questions now that I've apologized?
Now that I see that Gene has Leap, would he be able to show CSD, impedance and distortion sweeps of speakers under test? Off axis response could be taken very easily as well and gives a good idea of speaker sound. Or is it asking too much?

Matt34

Matt34

I apologize, didn't mean to offend you at all. I also missed the already existing banner on the top page for EMP.
So I guess this are wonderful speakers in it's class they do everything absolutely peachy. I mean, I looked at the SPL but I would attribute +/- 5db in the response to the quickness of measurements and post processing. Would you be so kind to answer my previous questions now that I've apologized?
Now that I see that Gene has Leap, would he be able to show CSD, impedance and distortion sweeps of speakers under test? Off axis response could be taken very easily as well and gives a good idea of speaker sound. Or is it asking too much?
The speakers were sent to Tom A. for the official review.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
I looked at the SPL but I would attribute +/- 5db in the response to the quickness of measurements and post processing.
Hi R,
I think your window might be a bit off. That appears to be an ungated, in room semi-nearfield measurement, with some far field effects involved. The dip around 300hz is probably a measurement artifact from floor bounce. A ground plane or free field measurement would reveal this. If you average about 80db, the response is actually quite linear, with the exception of the 1.8k dip, around +/- 2 db. The (on axis) dip at 1.8k might not be perceptually too offensive either.

Now that I see that Gene has Leap, would he be able to show CSD, impedance and distortion sweeps of speakers under test? Off axis response could be taken very easily as well and gives a good idea of speaker sound.
:). The free field polar response would indeed give some indication of what it may sound like in room, but convolving the impulse to show the csd of the entire system, not so much. Ditto for impedance and distortion. Perhaps SoundStage like deviation from linearity (compression) tests might be more relevant. Listening of course, should tell the tale. And there is essentially a free trial offer here...

Some may remember that last Ocotber at the 2008 Audioholics SOTU Event at Disney World
What is this SOTU you speak of?
Btw, if you don't mind me asking, where if FL are you?

cheers,

AJ

R-Carpenter

R-Carpenter

Audioholic
I usually take CSD of a driver with the crossover attached. CSD of a complete system is hard to take. :)

G

gpzbc

Audioholic Intern
Here, in brief is my opinion...caveats first.
Thanks to a friend who got a set of speakers in and asked me to listen to them, I have heard, seen, and A/B'ed the Impression towers against $600-$1,000/pair tower speakers. I am partial to JBL's (which were among the A/B'ed speakers). I have NOT liked EMP speakers (until now). I have no EMP/RBH/whatever speakers or interest in the success of their gear. In fact I have lamented about the company on this forum in the past. I currently own JBL, Aerial Acoustic, ACI, and Infinity speakers. That said.....

IF I needed or wanted a set of speakers that played music as well as anything in their class...and perhaps twice their price class...there is absolutely no doubt I would buy these in a heartbeat, especially at the sale price. They need a sub for the last octave and for home theater play. But between their neutral presentation, what I hear as a 'relatively' resonance free (there is always some) and perceived reasonably flat frequency performance, and last but not least their fabulous good looks, I might buy a pair even though I don't need them!

Lastly...free shipping and a liberal return policy so you can audition them yourself. What the heck are you waiting for?! :)
I agree. It seems as if I can't go wrong buying these. I still think I would feel better if I heard some solid critique on their sound. Perhaps I will wait a bit longer. Anyone have any idea how long they will be on sale?

Thanks!

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I love everything about these speaks, especially the cost involved going 5.2 however the rear speaks are rated at 100 w max and the center is at 120 max so if I even remotely decided to give them a try would my XPA 5 have to find a new home ?? I realize that it could be too much for this set-up, any thoughts to help me make a more informed decision, Thanks Sawz..:confused:

majorloser

majorloser

I love everything about these speaks, especially the cost involved going 5.2 however the rear speaks are rated at 100 w max and the center is at 120 max so if I even remotely decided to give them a try would my XPA 5 have to find a new home ?? I realize that it could be too much for this set-up, any thoughts to help me make a more informed decision, Thanks Sawz..:confused:

There really no problem with an amp with power rating extremely higher than the speakers. The speakers will only use what they need. Sure,you can crank the volume way up and overdrive the speakers. But at that point you're reaching extremes in volume.

You can do more damage to a speaker having an amp that is underpowered as this can cause a condition called clipping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis