EMP E5Ti Impression Series Speakers - Unbelievable Value

C

copperfox

Audioholic Intern
Got mine today, love them!

The cardboard boxes these come in and the packing slip say that these have 8" woofers, but they do not. The owner's manual included with the speakers and the website correctly list them as having 6.5" woofers.

They are beautiful. The finish is very nice. The color is a nice deep red brown wood burl.

I haven't done much listening yet, but they sound good. One thing I noticed is that the bass with these is certainly not lacking. I had to turn my subwoofer way down because on its previous setting there was too much bass. I will post more observations later.

My wife thinks they look good. Better than the black bookshelves I had before. WAF = thumbs up! :)

Y

yeahman68

Audioholic Intern
You said there's a plentiful amount of bass in the speakers, with the listening you've done so far, do the mids/highs do justice to the looks???? Congrats on your purchase btw.

majorloser

majorloser

WAF = thumbs up! :)
I told you that was a guaranteed response. :cool:

I guess I should have been a little more clear about the bass response. It's not lacking, just not as much bass as the RBH TK-5's we compared them to. If you match those towers with your sub there will definitely not be any issues. The highs and mids are quite good. I would definitely put them up against any <$1,000 towers.

But when you add in the nice finish and this killer low price, it's a no brainer. I haven't had a chance to see the black towers in person. I have been curious if they are the same burl wood veneer but stained black.

I knew this sale wasn't gonna last for long. As soon as the first group gets out on the market and the word spreads, EMP will have a tough time keeping up with production. I guess that's not a bad problem for a manufacturer to have in today's economy.

Y

yeahman68

Audioholic Intern
copperfox/majorloser, what speakers are you comparing the emp's too, btw, what exactly were your "black bookshelves?", copperfox.
-Thanks.

M

miggs29

Audioholic
Copperfox,

Could you please give more details on the sound quality of these towers? Have you experienced any bad vibrations with the cabinetry so far? I know that you just got them today, but I have been very interested in these speakers and I wanted to see if you could you please provide more details regarding their sound, drivers, tweeter and the cabinets. Are they real wood veneers? They look great, btw, but I really want the blank ones.

Thanks for your quick update.....

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
I got mine yesterday. Black.

>WAF = thumbs up!

WAF = thumbs up WAY up. I am actually sure that red ones will look better, but, the black ones fit into my whole setup.

Also, another subjective statement for the speaker.

These speakers are WAY WAY better than my earlier bookshelves. But, then, my earlier bookshelves were really really cheap. I will post some pictures hopefully soon.

9_miles_high

Audiophyte
Can anyone compare them to Infinity Classia c336 towers? Also, has anyone heard the matching subwoofer (ES10i, I think--also on sale)?

H

Haaspac

Audioholic
my new 5.1 speakers
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1791/dscn0907u.jpg
my new receiver (vsx 21txh)
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2293/dscn0908v.jpg
my seating
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2629/dscn0925u.jpg
speakers in place (my tv is a panasonic 50pz80u if I remember correctly)
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8636/dscn0926yj.jpg
everything hooked up and plugged into an apc c5 power conditioner (beware wiring mess that needs to be cleaned up)
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1958/dscn0928.jpg

My first impressions after getting it calibrated with the MCACC pioneer version of audessy and playing with all the buttons to get everything how I wanted it, I must say its better than my tv speakers(haha). The first thing I did was toss in Rambo on BD and jump right to the epic gunfight at the end of the movie. WOW. I didn't even have the speakers up that loud and the sub was shaking my chair like crazy. gunshots were piercing, the .50cal was thunderous, the surrounds were lighting up with gunfire from every direction, it was fantastic. It was late and so I didnt get much use from them last night, but today after work I'm going to play some Black Dahlia Murder(death metal) to see how it handles the music I enjoy. After that I will throw in 300 and see how that works out. They sounded great and from the info that came with them, they will sound even better after being broken in. I cant compare them to anything but my dad's 10 year old bose system he let me use when I was in college, but I can say I am satisfied with the ~2k bucks I spent (speakers reciever wiring and power conditioner).

C

copperfox

Audioholic Intern
The old speakers are old 3-way Yamahas (model ns-6490 I think), circa 1998. They have all black drivers and are not the new ones that have a silver mid and woofer. I bought them back in the day at Best Buy for $100 for the pair. I was using them atop some 24" tall 4" diameter PVC, which are going to be part of DIY stands I am in the process of building.

My receiver is a 100wpc Technics stereo unit which is also from ~1998.

Here is a bit more detail on the EMPs.

The cabinets seem solid to me. When played loudly, you cannot see any vibration, but when I place my hand on top I can feel that is is on and playing. I suspect this is normal, no?

I can't tell if it's a real wood or not, but I can tell you that the wood pattern on the two towers is not the same. This either means that it's real wood, or the pattern has been offset so that they don't appear identical. It looks like real wood, even when my face is only 5 inches away.

Highs are great, as expected. Mids are also quite improved over the old speakers (The midrange driver on the Yamahas is a joke, in my opinion). For example, the electric violin solo at the end of John Tesh's Live at Red Rocks track 4 - "Barcelona" is amazing. I'm very familiar with this track as played through a variety of speakers and headphones, so I know what to expect. On the EMPs it's just terrific; sharp and precise. I know it's an often used cliche, but I think I heard things I've never heard before in that recording.

The lower end is impressive. I think my initial reaction that there is *almost* too much bass came from unfamiliarity with how my music is supposed to sound. For all of my CD listening I turned off my subwoofer. I think it's true that that "bottom octave" may be missing, but I can say for sure that all the low octaves down to that bottom one are definitely there. I would be totally comfortable using these two speakers without a sub. For movies I'm glad I have the sub, though.

I've noticed with the new speakers that I can more easily tell the poorly mixed music from the well mixed music. What I mean by that is I can now tell if the musical transitions are smooth or not, if there is hiss in the recording, and if the dynamic range is full and dynamic, or if it feels like the top or bottom end are missing. You could say that these E5Ti's play the music as it really is, without covering up imperfections in the recording. With certain tracks it's easy to get a mental picture of the musician's fingers plucking away at the guitar strings.

Several times while listening I found myself just listening to the music instead of trying to listen to the speakers. I guess it's a good thing that it's the sound that I hear and not the speakers. Obviously the speakers create the sound, but they don't seem to be "getting in the way," if you will.

One last thing that I noticed is that with these EMP's, unlike with the old speakers, when I listen at loud volumes, it's not as though it's annoying
or hurts, or even seems loud. When you play smaller speakers at high volumes, they just make you say "that's loud, turn it down." But with these
EMP's, the loudness just seems like a large powerful presence in the room, but doesn't annoy you. It's a wonderful thing.

My budget for front speakers was originally less than $200 and I wasn't even really in the market yet. I was going to put off buying speakers for at least 6 months. But considering the limited time offer, I talked to my wife and I decided to take the extra amount out of savings. I can say I'm totally pleased with that decision; I would not have bought these speakers at full price. I can't compare these to multi-thousand dollar speakers because I've never heard any. With the way they sound, the way the look, and the great price I am totally satisfied.

C

copperfox

Audioholic Intern
The old speakers are old 3-way Yamahas (model ns-6490 I think), circa 1998. They have all black drivers and are not the new ones that have a silver mid and woofer.
Correction: They are model NS-A638 (8" woofer, 4" mid, 3/4" tweeter)

W

wrunow

Enthusiast
This is probably one of my first posts here, although I have been lurking for years.

I received my set of towers and a center channel on Tuesday Morning and really haven't had much time to spend with them, although I did hook them up right away.

I have been currently listening to HTD Level 3 towers and center, probably the first series that I bought 8 years ago or so and was just looking for an inexpensive change. I do listen to some music on this system, but I have a more dedicated vintage music system in another room that I use more often so, this system is probably 95% home theater.

I am powering them with a Yamaha RX-Z9 and they sound pretty good initially, I listened to a little Diana Krall SACD last evening in multi and 2 channel. I don't really feel I am qualified to judge the sound compared to what I have heard in like BB and such, but they sound really good to me. The base is probably comparable to the speakers they are replacing, the highs about the same, but they are just smoother sounding for the lack of any term I can think of. I attribute this to the mid drivers, obvously.

My only concern is they are a lot less efficient than my current speakers and I find I have to turn the volume up a little to get the same sound level, not a bad thing as the Yamaha has power to spare, but I don't think I would like to be driving these with an entry or budget receiver.

Oh, and before I forget. I got the Burl finish, and it's true, they look better than great. For the money so far, I think they are a steal, the towers at least.

N

nsahoo

Audiophyte
I received the 5.0 set today. They look nice, but, a bit too nice for my current room which is very spartan.

The speakers seem laidback and easy to listen to. Volume is a bit low. In other places I find that 0db is too loud and -10db is the right volume to listen at. In this setup 0db is about right. It might be a combination of facts: Speakers are inefficient, AVR does not have particularly powerful amps, and the room is somewhat large at 13x25ft.

I am watching Jurrasic park now from a DVD. Somehow the surrounds are not being used at all. The display on the AVR says STEREO, I am not sure if it means there is no 5.1 signal or what. Can anyone comment?

After I did Audissey setup the cross over frequency for sub was 80, but, for the fronts were at 40. Isn't that too low for the fronts. Does it mean it blends fronts and sub between 40 and 80?

I could do a more detailed review, but, since I am an audiophyte I don't know what things to look for. Overall I like them.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I received the 5.0 set today. They look nice, but, a bit too nice for my current room which is very spartan.

The speakers seem laidback and easy to listen to. Volume is a bit low. In other places I find that 0db is too loud and -10db is the right volume to listen at. In this setup 0db is about right. It might be a combination of facts: Speakers are inefficient, AVR does not have particularly powerful amps, and the room is somewhat large at 13x25ft.

I am watching Jurrasic park now from a DVD. Somehow the surrounds are not being used at all. The display on the AVR says STEREO, I am not sure if it means there is no 5.1 signal or what. Can anyone comment?

After I did Audissey setup the cross over frequency for sub was 80, but, for the fronts were at 40. Isn't that too low for the fronts. Does it mean it blends fronts and sub between 40 and 80?

I could do a more detailed review, but, since I am an audiophyte I don't know what things to look for. Overall I like them.
Here are a few things to check to make sure you're properly passing a DD/DTS bitstream:
  • use either a COAX or toslink cable between your DVD player and AV Receiver
  • In the DVD player setup menu, make sure you set DD/DTS to bitstream output
  • When you put a DVD in the player, goto audio settings and select DD or DTS
  • Hit the "surround" or "dolby surround" button on your receiver to take it out of stereo and into multi channel
  • make sure your receiver is set to "Auto" format so it knows to goto 5.1 mode automatically

Note: If you have an HDMI 1.3a receiver and a blu-ray player, use an HDMI cable instead of toslink or coax.

Regarding Audyssey:
  • Go into bass management and set all your speakers to 80Hz crossover
  • experiment with the main speakers Large/Small and see which way better blends with your sub

If Audyssey set all the speakers but the mains to 80Hz, it will recombine the bass to the sub channel. The mains crossed over at 40Hz will combine that bass to the sub.

If you have a 2CH Direct mode, make sure you set it for "mains + sub" so you have subwoofer output in 2CH mode. Consult your manual.

I hope this helps.

N

nsahoo

Audiophyte
Thanks Gene. I was using the red white audio cable to connect dvd player to the receiver. The DVD player does not have HDMI out. I happened to have an extra coaxial cable. I connected the digital audio out from the dvd player to the coaxial input that was there on the receiver for input from satelite box. Then I had to reassign the inputs. After that the receiver shows dolby d. and jurrasic park ambience is all around. Thanks for the input.

Regarding the crossover settings in audyssey : I am assuming if I change the crossover settings to 80, then I have to rerun the calibration program, right?

I don't think I have a 2CH direct mode (don't know what that is) in the subwoofer. Nothing is mentioned in the manual. It's an Energy ESW V10.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Regarding the crossover settings in audyssey : I am assuming if I change the crossover settings to 80, then I have to rerun the calibration program, right?

I don't think I have a 2CH direct mode (don't know what that is) in the subwoofer. Nothing is mentioned in the manual. It's an Energy ESW V10.
No you won't have to re-run Audyssey. I would experiment with Audyssey "Flat" vs Off to see if Audyssey really improved the fidelity in your system. I suggest flat b/c the EMP's are a bit laid back sounding and the normal Audyssey setting may cut the top end a bit too much for your liking.

If you have a Denon receiver, there is an independent 2CH bass management setting. If not, don't worry. But I suggest trying a CD in 2CH stereo and making sure your subwoofer is still playing. If it isn't, then you need to goto the bass management and select Sub out = Mains + sub or both or w/e they call it.

I'd try those towers full range before crossing them over at 80 or 40Hz. They have a natural roll off below 60Hz which may blend well enough with your sub without having to further cut the bass from them. Since those speakers aren't easy to bottom out even at high volumes, you can run them at full range without any issues in most applications.

M

miggs29

Audioholic
The old speakers are old 3-way Yamahas (model ns-6490 I think), circa 1998. They have all black drivers and are not the new ones that have a silver mid and woofer. I bought them back in the day at Best Buy for $100 for the pair. I was using them atop some 24" tall 4" diameter PVC, which are going to be part of DIY stands I am in the process of building.

My receiver is a 100wpc Technics stereo unit which is also from ~1998.

Here is a bit more detail on the EMPs.

The cabinets seem solid to me. When played loudly, you cannot see any vibration, but when I place my hand on top I can feel that is is on and playing. I suspect this is normal, no?

I can't tell if it's a real wood or not, but I can tell you that the wood pattern on the two towers is not the same. This either means that it's real wood, or the pattern has been offset so that they don't appear identical. It looks like real wood, even when my face is only 5 inches away.

Highs are great, as expected. Mids are also quite improved over the old speakers (The midrange driver on the Yamahas is a joke, in my opinion). For example, the electric violin solo at the end of John Tesh's Live at Red Rocks track 4 - "Barcelona" is amazing. I'm very familiar with this track as played through a variety of speakers and headphones, so I know what to expect. On the EMPs it's just terrific; sharp and precise. I know it's an often used cliche, but I think I heard things I've never heard before in that recording.

The lower end is impressive. I think my initial reaction that there is *almost* too much bass came from unfamiliarity with how my music is supposed to sound. For all of my CD listening I turned off my subwoofer. I think it's true that that "bottom octave" may be missing, but I can say for sure that all the low octaves down to that bottom one are definitely there. I would be totally comfortable using these two speakers without a sub. For movies I'm glad I have the sub, though.

I've noticed with the new speakers that I can more easily tell the poorly mixed music from the well mixed music. What I mean by that is I can now tell if the musical transitions are smooth or not, if there is hiss in the recording, and if the dynamic range is full and dynamic, or if it feels like the top or bottom end are missing. You could say that these E5Ti's play the music as it really is, without covering up imperfections in the recording. With certain tracks it's easy to get a mental picture of the musician's fingers plucking away at the guitar strings.

Several times while listening I found myself just listening to the music instead of trying to listen to the speakers. I guess it's a good thing that it's the sound that I hear and not the speakers. Obviously the speakers create the sound, but they don't seem to be "getting in the way," if you will.

One last thing that I noticed is that with these EMP's, unlike with the old speakers, when I listen at loud volumes, it's not as though it's annoying
or hurts, or even seems loud. When you play smaller speakers at high volumes, they just make you say "that's loud, turn it down." But with these
EMP's, the loudness just seems like a large powerful presence in the room, but doesn't annoy you. It's a wonderful thing.

My budget for front speakers was originally less than $200 and I wasn't even really in the market yet. I was going to put off buying speakers for at least 6 months. But considering the limited time offer, I talked to my wife and I decided to take the extra amount out of savings. I can say I'm totally pleased with that decision; I would not have bought these speakers at full price. I can't compare these to multi-thousand dollar speakers because I've never heard any. With the way they sound, the way the look, and the great price I am totally satisfied.
Copperfox,

Thanks for your comments! I think that I am going to take the plunge. I can't wait to get them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis