krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Well at least Captian Slow and Clarkson look stunning on your TV. :p

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Well at least Captian Slow and Clarkson look stunning on your TV. :p
:D Did not realize that anyone would have recognized that. I like to watch those guys as they get some really cool cars to drive, it ridiculous.
They however gave the SVT Lightning a bad review, I was not pleased as I had own one. I wonder if I get one of those Emotiva UPA 7 if that will help to improve the sound?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I wonder if I get one of those Emotiva UPA 7 if that will help to improve the sound?
Unlikely. When I added a power amp I saw a huge improvement in overall sound but as you already tried one amp on each channel....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
A lot of speakers at this price tend to exhibit recessed midrange as most focus on boom and sizzle. The EMPs however have a very open and forward midrange with a slightly laid back top end. They also don't offer much usable bass extension below 50Hz as they sacrifice extension for output. You can really play them loud without ever bottoming or distorting. You may want to throw a subwoofer in the mix. This really balances their sound. Also I did find they sound significantly better with the grilles off. Hope this helps. I am working on the review right now as we speak so maybe my placement suggestions can further help you.

E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
I can’t definitely say it is not real wood without any doubt. I have multiple real wood furniture in my home and it does not look the same. Don’t get me wrong, these speakers are gorgeous and you will be blown away by their beauty.
But to me it just does not look real. Also, my wife has worked in construction for many many years and when she saw them she said, they are beautiful but don’t seem to be real wood.
Again, I cannot say with absolute certainty that they are not real wood unless I take out one of the speakers and inspect it. But what I can say is that when you see these puppies you will fall in love.
Cool! I'm glad to hear it. I can't wait until the budget opens up a bit.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
A lot of speakers at this price tend to exhibit recessed midrange as most focus on boom and sizzle. The EMPs however have a very open and forward midrange with a slightly laid back top end. They also don't offer much usable bass extension below 50Hz as they sacrifice extension for output. You can really play them loud without ever bottoming or distorting. You may want to throw a subwoofer in the mix. This really balances their sound. Also I did find they sound significantly better with the grilles off. Hope this helps. I am working on the review right now as we speak so maybe my placement suggestions can further help you.
Hi Gene,

thank you for the above information. Just want to let you know that I do have a SVS PB12 sub and I agree that the sub really help. When I removed the sub last evening I could definitely hear a difference. Also removing the grill really does improve the sound, but unfortunately not enough for me.

Hopefully your review will help me with my placement issues. But I am still willing to try any suggestions offered by other board members untill then.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Did not realize that anyone would have recognized that. I like to watch those guys as they get some really cool cars to drive, it ridiculous.
They however gave the SVT Lightning a bad review, I was not pleased as I had own one. I wonder if I get one of those Emotiva UPA 7 if that will help to improve the sound?
Maybe try a different amp. Not sure how good those $199 Behringer amps are since I've never measured them.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Maybe try a different amp. Not sure how good those $199 Behringer amps are since I've never measured them.
Gene, I was really thinking of getting one of those emotiva amps since you did your review on the UPA 7 .

F

Fowl

Audioholic
EMP E55Ti Update

After suggestions from several board members, I decided to do extensive read up and research on sound reflections and placement of my acoustic panels. I found out that two of the panels to the left and Right side of my listening position were not placed in their optimal position.

I recall when speaking to a Frank at GIK, he was concerned about the window on one side and the door on the other where the panels would go. Fortunately for me when I followed the instructions of how to use a mirror to find the first reflection points, it was not directly at the door but before it, thus I could place the panel there. The other side was different as it was right in line with the side window, so I just placed the panel on a stand behind my sofa which is in front of the window.

I also made some adjustment to the panel that is over the television and those that were behind the EMP’s. After several hours of moving things around and adjusting the speaker toe in and distance apart the EMP55Ti are sounding better than ever. I found though that to me they sounded better at 6ft apart rather than 8ft apart that would form the perfect triangle in my listening position.

I have found that they are as natural sounding as ever, I also notice a significant improvement in the clarity of the mid range, but most noticeable in the highs. I was listening to a Tracy Chapman CD a friend gave to me and Tracy has never sounded so good, unless it was a live performance. I am by no means saying that these are the best speakers out there; I am just saying I am happy.

In my previous post I had said that the Paradigm Phantoms seemed that the sound was more enveloping and almost like the artist is directly in front of you, and my thoughts remain the same. With the EMP’s the artist sound as though they were further away from you. But that artist sounds great nonetheless, there is more of a ……..airy sound to the voice and truly natural sounding.

On the other hand I still think that the center channel is still somewhat lacking, I am forced to turn up the receiver to hear. If I increase the db on the center channel alone it sound like I have collapsed the sound field. I hope EMP makes a better center channel, which is compatible with the impression series. Are you hearing me EMP?????

That’s all for now, going home to listen to some music.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Have you tried setting your receiver EQ curve to Audessey Flat?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
On the other hand I still think that the center channel is still somewhat lacking, I am forced to turn up the receiver to hear. If I increase the db on the center channel alone it sound like I have collapsed the sound field. I hope EMP makes a better center channel, which is compatible with the impression series. Are you hearing me EMP?????
sounds more like you are using a wrong PLII / PLIIx mode for the source you are listening to than the actual speaker being at fault. PLII Cinema mode can do this for cable channels, especially if they aren't in 5.1.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
sounds more like you are using a wrong PLII / PLIIx mode for the source you are listening to than the actual speaker being at fault. PLII Cinema mode can do this for cable channels, especially if they aren't in 5.1.
Yeah thats what I would think....

I finally sorted out my EMP center channel issues. I was getting some nasty cabinet resonance, but only for certain movies at certain times. I watched the dark night the other day and there was one part of the movie that hit the right frequency to cause the center channel to buzz and resonate really badly. I even picked it up off the stand and held it while that scene played again and it was definitely the speaker. I took the binding post plate off and packed it with some more pillow innards from some craft pillows that were laying around....now it plays perfectly.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I finally sorted out my EMP center channel issues. I was getting some nasty cabinet resonance, but only for certain movies at certain times. I watched the dark night the other day and there was one part of the movie that hit the right frequency to cause the center channel to buzz and resonate really badly. I even picked it up off the stand and held it while that scene played again and it was definitely the speaker. I took the binding post plate off and packed it with some more pillow innards from some craft pillows that were laying around....now it plays perfectly
hmm sounds like a manufacturers defect but you found a work around. You should contact EMP about this. Nobody should have to jerry rig a product to make it work correctly.

I just did some intensive sweeps of the E55 to check for cabinet resonance and it was solid. I initially found a buzz at like 200hz but realized the feet weren't properly tightened down and that was the cause. It's important to ensure no audible cabinet resonance is present on your speakers.

E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
Little Trickles

hmm sounds like a manufacturers defect but you found a work around. You should contact EMP about this. Nobody should have to jerry rig a product to make it work correctly.

I just did some intensive sweeps of the E55 to check for cabinet resonance and it was solid. I initially found a buzz at like 200hz but realized the feet weren't properly tightened down and that was the cause. It's important to ensure no audible cabinet resonance is present on your speakers.
Gene, I'm getting the idea that you are near to posting this long-awaited review. I am having a hard time being patient. Sounds like it will be overwhelmingly positive. I hope I'm right in my assumption.

F

Fowl

Audioholic

Gene, yes I use PLII for viewing cable channels and PL EX/DTS for my movies. I will try a differet mode for cable. However even while watching movies the using the Blue Ray or DVD in PL EX/DTS mode the center channel is still a somewhat weak.

I will go and fiddle with it some more and see what happens. Perhaps I am going a bit deaf:D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Gene, yes I use PLII for viewing cable channels and PL EX/DTS for my movies. I will try a differet mode for cable. However even while watching movies the using the Blue Ray or DVD in PL EX/DTS mode the center channel is still a somewhat weak.

I will go and fiddle with it some more and see what happens. Perhaps I am going a bit deaf:D
It's really tough to judge because I don't know how you calibrated it. That's what makes auto-calibration and auto-EQ so valuable.

Personally, I've found the center to be very nice, very loud and clear, except that it seems to have a slightly different tonal quality during test tones and that it's a horizontal MTM so the love seat on the side doesn't get the full experience

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai

Thanks Gene I will shoot them an email.

Sounds like you don't have something configured properly. I would check and make sure your receiver is getting a true 5.1 signal. Its either that or the system is calibrated improperly. I have found this center channel to integrate very well with the mains.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis