Emotiva XPA Gen 3 Amplifiers Promise More Power & Efficiency

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Emotiva has delivered a major upgrade to its XPA lineup with the announcement of its third generation amplifiers. The new XPA Gen 3 amplifiers are completely modular and upgradeable; feature a low-noise, highly efficient switched mode power supply; and are assembled right here in the USA.

Has Emotiva done it again?

Read: Emotiva XPA Gen 3 Amplifier Preview

Tell us what you think and if you're going to upgrade your amp to one of these new XPA's to start the New Year off with a bang!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting design choices all around! I am intrigued by the modular design!

To me, reading all the specs, etc, the first thing I think is "business decisons".

That really is an excellent business decision to go full-modular. Now, they can make much fewer variety of parts and use the same parts on all amps in the line. That allows for leverage to produce higher volumes of parts, and you also only have to produce training materials for 1 generic setup, and makes the life of a repair tech easier too.

Now, the SMPS is an interesting choice, especially a regulated SMPS! G. Randy Sloan is rolling in his grave. His book demonstrates several reasons that SMPS is a poor choice, and several reasons that a regulated PS is a poor choice when building a power amp. Typically, you would use a regulated power supply in order to reduce the AC ripple from the PS......but, this really is not a problem for AMPLIFIERS at all. So it's solving a problem that isn't really a problem (not in a linear design at least).

However, we are seeing more manufacturers going to the SMPS every day! I'm certain that this technology has advanced considerably since he wrote his book. And, I'm certain that one day MOST of his arguments will become invalid due to better designs. But, are we there yet? I'm not convinced, yet.

Nonetheless, this is certainly an exciting and/or interesting paradigm shift that we are starting to see. Personally, I will stick to the tried and true class A or A/B with unregulated linear PS for critical 2 channel music. But, a HT setup where you may have to worry more about space for several channels, and the heat generated (a REAL concern in the deep south), then these Emo amps make a lot of sense, and at good prices!

All that being said.......does a GOOD SMPS cause an audible detriment to the sound (within the limits of the amp)? Almost certainly not. I have been using a Lepai with a wall wart and it sounds good within its limits, but I haven't been using it for critical listening other than to test it out on a couple speakers.

I'm curious is Emo is getting ready to release some class D amps? Those are a natural match to the SMPS design.

And.......whatever happened to the line of Tube Amps that Emo promised? Did those get thrown out with Bob Carver?

All things considered......I'm more interested in the new speakers and subs than the new amps!

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yea I don't quite get the need for regulating the power supply since you actually lose power doing so via the voltage drop across the regulators. It's possible this design is more efficient and maybe they want better control of ripple to improve the SMPS behavior. It's something I will discuss with Lonnie in the future if we do a review and/or Youtube video.

S

surajkandukuri

Enthusiast
When they release the new Gen 3 will they have any outgoing sale on Gen 2 XPA-5 ?? I am not sure what they did when they upgraded from gen 1 to gen 2. I was not in the market during that timeframe. Currently they have 20% off going on till jan 1st and i do not mind waiting if history can tell us that they are going to reduce/slash the prices.

Any thoughts based on history ?

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
When they release the new Gen 3 will they have any outgoing sale on Gen 2 XPA-5 ?? I am not sure what they did when they upgraded from gen 1 to gen 2. I was not in the market during that timeframe. Currently they have 20% off going on till jan 1st and i do not mind waiting if history can tell us that they are going to reduce/slash the prices.

Any thoughts based on history ?
Im wondering the same thing. I was seriously considering getting a gen 2 within the next couple of weeks while they were on sale. But Im not really in any big hurry, so I'll likely wait a little longer to see if an even better deal can be had.

Having said that, I dont want to wait too long to get my hands on a new gen 2. Personally, I'd rather have a gen 2 xpa-3 for half the price as a gen 3 xpa-3. I simply cant afford to spend over $1100.00 on an amp.

Last edited:
R

Romaman

Audiophyte
Im wondering the same thing. I was seriously considering getting a gen 2 within the next couple of weeks while they were on sale. But Im not really in any big hurry, so I'll likely wait a little longer to see if an even better deal can be had.

Having said that, I dont want to wait too long to get my hands on a new gen 2. Personally, I'd rather have a gen 2 xpa-3 for half the price as a gen 3 xpa-3. I simply cant afford to spend over $1100.00 on an amp.

I have the same thoughts. I may pull the trigger next week. Gen 2 xpa-5 If anyone finds out that there may be a better deal in a few weeks or not please post it for us.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
However, we are seeing more manufacturers going to the SMPS every day! I'm certain that this technology has advanced considerably since he wrote his book. And, I'm certain that one day MOST of his arguments will become invalid due to better designs. But, are we there yet? I'm not convinced, yet.
I'd say it is.

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Regarding SMPS, Gene and I have been in some discussions with another amplifier manufacturer who is likewise using a SMPS. I have a demo unit in hand from that other vendor and it sounds great.

I had a bit of an extended conversation with Dan Laufman, Emotiva's president on the topic too because we knew some would look at this at face-value and raise an eye-brow. It was great to see his insights.

To the question of "Are we there yet?" I think the answer is a definite yes.

I saw the prototype Emotiva units first-hand but didn't get a chance to listen to them.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Regarding SMPS, Gene and I have been in some discussions with another amplifier manufacturer who is likewise using a SMPS. I have a demo unit in hand from that other vendor and it sounds great.

I had a bit of an extended conversation with Dan Laufman, Emotiva's president on the topic too because we knew some would look at this at face-value and raise an eye-brow. It was great to see his insights.

To the question of "Are we there yet?" I think the answer is a definite yes.

I saw the prototype Emotiva units first-hand but didn't get a chance to listen to them.

So when can we expect Preview to be come Review?

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Looks like these are up for pre-order now:
http://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-gen3

More pics too.
YES!!! As an owner/technician of an AV company, I can't wait to test these puppies out. SO flexible, so they'd be a amazing for a ton of situations I encounter where I need to add a good quality amp for a specific amount of channels. I've been blown away with the results of other Emotiva amps I've installed for customers, so hope this new series proves to be as great as the rest of Emotiva's products! Exciting stuff for sure.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
After much deliberation, I have placed my order for a Gen3 3ch amp. I chose this over the XPA3 Gen2 mainly for the ease of adding more channels, should I decide to go beyond a 5.2 setup. Has anyone else ordered one yet? If so, what are your thoughts on this unit? I will revisit with my thoughts after spending some time with the new amp.

mhdaniels31

mhdaniels31

Audioholic Intern
regarding smps they seem like such a no brainer for receivers by reducing the weight and helping with the efficency are they more money then a torodial or EI transformer if i remember corectly harmon used them in there latest receivers and got mixed review though S&V liked the 3700 model i always assumed smps were cheaper and more efficeint like the one in my gaming computer anybody have a reply

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
regarding smps they seem like such a no brainer for receivers by reducing the weight and helping with the efficency are they more money then a torodial or EI transformer if i remember corectly harmon used them in there latest receivers and got mixed review though S&V liked the 3700 model i always assumed smps were cheaper and more efficeint like the one in my gaming computer anybody have a reply
Here's the rundown on SMPS

This topology has inherent problems when used for audio applications. EEs are bright guys, so they have engineered additional circuitry to account for these inherent problems.

To get a decent or good SMPS for audio applications, the design takes a lot of work, time, resources, and $. But, once the design is right, SMPS can be spit out rapidly by automatic manufacturing equipment. So, at very large volume, SMPS is cheaper. SMPS also does not require the large transformers that linear supplies need, so that is another place to cut costs. One trade off is that the circuit is now more complicated, and thus more prone to fail.

BOTTOM LINE
If PERFORMANCE is your end goal for an audio power amplifier power supply, then the choice of topology is very clear--You use a NON-REGULATED LINEAR POWER SUPPLY.

If LOWER COST, EFFICIENCY, LIGHTER WEIGHT are your end goals for an audio amp power supply, then the choice of topology is very clear--You use SMPS.

Note--these statements are paraphrased from books on designing and building amplifiers, I can provide those resources if you want to read it for yourself with all of the supporting information.

mhdaniels31

mhdaniels31

Audioholic Intern
Here's the rundown on SMPS

This topology has inherent problems when used for audio applications. EEs are bright guys, so they have engineered additional circuitry to account for these inherent problems.

To get a decent or good SMPS for audio applications, the design takes a lot of work, time, resources, and $. But, once the design is right, SMPS can be spit out rapidly by automatic manufacturing equipment. So, at very large volume, SMPS is cheaper. SMPS also does not require the large transformers that linear supplies need, so that is another place to cut costs. One trade off is that the circuit is now more complicated, and thus more prone to fail.

BOTTOM LINE
If PERFORMANCE is your end goal for an audio power amplifier power supply, then the choice of topology is very clear--You use a NON-REGULATED LINEAR POWER SUPPLY.

If LOWER COST, EFFICIENCY, LIGHTER WEIGHT are your end goals for an audio amp power supply, then the choice of topology is very clear--You use SMPS.

Note--these statements are paraphrased from books on designing and building amplifiers, I can provide those resources if you want to read it for yourself with all of the supporting information.
I was actually looking at the xpa-3 because im about to get my tax return although I was hesitant about needing such a large amp for my speakers but that doesnt matter I was thinking about the future and that was why i was looking at the emotiva so it is like a regular smps all the parts make it more prone to failure in the long run like 7-10 years because spending this kind of money for me I must get at least that much use out of it and I am a home body so my home theater is running 12 hours a day and the last time I spent money like this was in 2012 for my current system that I want to update for HDR UHD atmos ect. just to be clear the safe bet would be one of the remaining xpa-5 gen2 or an outlaw 7125 or 5000 I noticed emotiva raised prices on the xpa3and thought it was due to there new sales platform of the lower power BASX models and midline emersa class D amps so I was assuming the xpa-3 was the new xpr but the price increase is more likely due to manufacturing in america and not due to this being the new reference model this is my first multichannel amp purchase although i use a flagship denon right now

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Honestly, for my $, the Outlaw 5000 looks like the best that you are gonna get for the $.

You need more than 2 channels? If you only need 2 channel and you want Class D, then I would be looking at the Crown XLS line. Those have a reputation of being pretty much bullet proof.

Also, check out ATI
http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers.html

B

bang4bucker

Enthusiast
as an xpa gen 2 owner, i have to admit that i feel so lucky i got it while on sale. with that value of components you can almost forget about diy and still have resale value.

i see the decision to use smps is pure business matter : higher labour cost in us and lower material bill to compensate.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Interesting design choices all around! I am intrigued by the modular design!

To me, reading all the specs, etc, the first thing I think is "business decisons".

That really is an excellent business decision to go full-modular. Now, they can make much fewer variety of parts and use the same parts on all amps in the line. That allows for leverage to produce higher volumes of parts, and you also only have to produce training materials for 1 generic setup, and makes the life of a repair tech easier too.

Now, the SMPS is an interesting choice, especially a regulated SMPS! G. Randy Sloan is rolling in his grave. His book demonstrates several reasons that SMPS is a poor choice, and several reasons that a regulated PS is a poor choice when building a power amp. Typically, you would use a regulated power supply in order to reduce the AC ripple from the PS......but, this really is not a problem for AMPLIFIERS at all. So it's solving a problem that isn't really a problem (not in a linear design at least).

Nonetheless, this is certainly an exciting and/or interesting paradigm shift that we are starting to see. Personally, I will stick to the tried and true class A or A/B with unregulated linear PS for critical 2 channel music. But, a HT setup where you may have to worry more about space for several channels, and the heat generated (a REAL concern in the deep south), then these Emo amps make a lot of sense, and at good prices!

All that being said.......does a GOOD SMPS cause an audible detriment to the sound (within the limits of the amp)? Almost certainly not. I have been using a Lepai with a wall wart and it sounds good within its limits, but I haven't been using it for critical listening other than to test it out on a couple speakers.

I'm curious is Emo is getting ready to release some class D amps? Those are a natural match to the SMPS design.

And.......whatever happened to the line of Tube Amps that Emo promised? Did those get thrown out with Bob Carver?

All things considered......I'm more interested in the new speakers and subs than the new amps!
Did Bob Carver get booted, or did he choose not to do business with Dan and Company? Do you have insider details?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Did Bob Carver get booted, or did he choose not to do business with Dan and Company? Do you have insider details?
Dunno, other than Emo announced that they were working with him. They also announced tube amps.

Then, no Bob, no tubes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis