Emotiva XMC-1 Processor Preview

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
Take it how ever you want. I really don't care. I'm really happy with the company and have made some good friends there. They treat me well.
ML - I realized that I overlooked your post here, and i wanted to clarify.

I think what cause me to post what I did was understanding the logic of making such a decision. To me it gets down to asking the following questions:

Would I want to buy a new car that was in the shop once every 30 days, just because the salesteam were "nice people"?

Would I buy a computer that had, say, a video card that would not allow me to watch video, or had a processor that only worked intermittently because I bought it from a "nice guy"?

Would I buy a camera that did not save its files correctly to a memory card, just because I got to know someone from within the design team of the company?

The answer in my case is no. I expect things that I buy to work, primarily. Finding out that the design team or employees are really nice is a welcomed bonus.

It's no different for me in the world of home audio. Even if I had tons of cash to buy whatever and how much of everything 'audio/video' that my heart desired, and I was independently wealthy and could spend tons of time with all of it - I would still expect everything I bought to be competently designed and work. That is, unless if I was flatly told that I was purchasing, for all intents and purposes, a "beta" unit.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Gene, something I've noticed regarding various products from Emotiva over the years (their processors, CDP, really anything that contains DAC's) is what appears to me a lack of compliance with FCC Part 15B which deals with unintentional radiators of EMI/RFI emissions. The equipment itself lacks the proper FCC logo and the requisite FCC mandated boilerplate is invariably absent in the manual. My understanding is that for equipment sold or imported into the US such testing and compliance is required. You may recall several years ago that Behringer did much the same thing with a multitude of products. There was a pretty lame attempt on their part to state they met CE standards (which ones, heaven knows since the particular standard is not specified). This was rejected by the FCC which levied and collected a $1,000,000 fine against Behringer.

If you examine various products you've tested such as modern AVR's you'll find they have complied with that particular section. Emotiva certainly isn't the only company that has avoided FCC compliance. For example a large number of amp manufacturers using ICE modules have not done so either.

To my knowledge, Emotiva has never directly addressed this particular concern and I'm wondering if this is something you can look into when you finally get around to doing a review?

B

bootman

Audioholic Intern
It is not like competing products like the 4311 was 100% bug free.
No one here heard of at least two very big bugs involving audio and video performance?

Poll: Denon 4311/AVR 100 Owners: Existence of Blue-Rain and/or Audio Loss - AVS Forum

Yes, they were fixed with firmware, but it wasn't like it was a smooth ride either.:rolleyes:

The two major UMC issues, HDMI switching and bass management were fixed with the last firmware.

Are there current owners with issues? Sure.
Are there current 4311 owners with issues? Sure.

B

bootman

Audioholic Intern
Considering all of the firmware updates necessary to make the UMC-1 work correctly and the fact that the UMC-1 had less than an auspicious start I would be careful, very careful. I didn't see a lot of glowing reviews in the mainstream audio press about the UMC-1. The price is too high considering it competes with Integra and Marantz. It will not fly at this price point except in a niche market.
A prepro is a niche component and Emotiva is a niche brand.
They are never going to sell the volume that Onkyo and D&M Holdings do.

99% of audio equipment buyers don't even care about separates to begin with.
Isn't that the definition of niche market? (separates)

B

bootman

Audioholic Intern
Gene, something I've noticed regarding various products from Emotiva over the years (their processors, CDP, really anything that contains DAC's) is what appears to me a lack of compliance with FCC Part 15B which deals with unintentional radiators of EMI/RFI emissions. The equipment itself lacks the proper FCC logo and the requisite FCC mandated boilerplate is invariably absent in the manual. My understanding is that for equipment sold or imported into the US such testing and compliance is required. You may recall several years ago that Behringer did much the same thing with a multitude of products. There was a pretty lame attempt on their part to state they met CE standards (which ones, heaven knows since the particular standard is not specified). This was rejected by the FCC which levied and collected a $1,000,000 fine against Behringer.

If you examine various products you've tested such as modern AVR's you'll find they have complied with that particular section. Emotiva certainly isn't the only company that has avoided FCC compliance. For example a large number of amp manufacturers using ICE modules have not done so either.

To my knowledge, Emotiva has never directly addressed this particular concern and I'm wondering if this is something you can look into when you finally get around to doing a review?
How does this affect the average consumer? :confused:

Does it have to do with the fact that under the new procedures for DoC/Self Declaration there is no longer a need to submit/certify computing devices and peripherals with the FCC?
Is the loophole here?

Just trying to figure out how this would affect me as a potential customer. :)

Last edited:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
How does this affect the average consumer? :confused:

Does it have to do with the fact that under the new procedures for DoC/Self Declaration there is no longer a need to submit/certify computing devices and peripherals with the FCC?
Is the loophole here?

Just trying to figure out how this would affect me as a potential customer. :)
I don't think it affects the average consumer. I'm not aware of of any new procedures for self declaration when it comes to products being sold within the US. If you've got a link for this, could you let me know? What it does potentially affect would be the company if the FCC decides they'd like some answers.

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
I have one of the early UMC-1s. While I have gone through all the updates and dealt with audio dropouts, I have concluded that the vast majority of my issues have been brought on by Dish Network updates that tweak the HDMI spec, and not for the better.

I play BD and SACDs using an OPPO BDP-83 and while I have never had any issue with audio dropouts with these sources through HDMI with the UMC-1, I can't say the same for Dish programs.

For the most part, I can summarize my audio issues with the Dish DVR and fast forwarding through commercials and deleting programs. Both processes used to result in either drops or pops. Both of these issues have reduced markedly with the last 2 UMC-1 updates, but I have had pops on rare occasions under both FF as well as deleting conditions.

That said, I have never seriously considered the UMC-1 a bad purchase. My previous receiver was a Rotel RSP-1066 and the sound quality of the Emotiva was a noticible improvement over the Rotel and it cost me 1/2 of what I paid for the 1066. I have never expected the Emotiva room correction feature to give me tunrkey settings, but it has provided a baseline starting point that was very easy to tweak to my satisfaction.

I am looking forward to the XMC-1 with no trepidation. With my upgrade card, it will still cost 2/3s of the cost of the Rotel some 10-12 years ago. That's the kind of progress I like to see.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Pretty surprising that they are using the Burr Brown 1793 DAC. It's quite old and has a 113db SNR.

Seems like a strange place to cheap out on a $1500 Pre/Pro, considering the a bottom barrel DAC costs maybe $5 and a top end DAC costs less than $15.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't think it affects the average consumer. I'm not aware of of any new procedures for self declaration when it comes to products being sold within the US. If you've got a link for this, could you let me know? What it does potentially affect would be the company if the FCC decides they'd like some answers.
Chu Gai raises an interesting point. Digital equipment can be the devil for RF generated interference. Not being certified, is a big issue. This could well result in nasty buzzes from associated equipment, and it is hard to predict which units, it will be random. Worse a unit like this could well cause trouble for a neighbor. Under worst case scenario it might interfere with a medical device.

The only thing is the regs work both ways, and so they should. So devices have to be certified to not only not emit EMI/RF, but not be affected by it.

The EEC have even more draconian regs on this, and a lot of gear that can pass in the US will not pass in the EEC.

Emotiva, need to show that there products are in compliance. They deserve a big fine if they are not. Customers should avoid purchasing them until they are in compliance.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Several years ago, NuForce came out with a switching amp that was not FCC. Several folks noticed that when they used the amp, it affected their radio reception (can find some comments at AA). Well they did a hasty redesign, fixed everyone's amp, and IIRC went through FCC compliance. IMO, just because folks aren't reporting comparable issues, doesn't excuse companies from playing the game by doing an end around existing regulations.

W

wlmmn

Junior Audioholic
...There is a emo-cast that goes into a lot more detail about what is going into this architecture that I recommend. This emo-cast is a solely dedicated discussion on the XMC.

http://emotiva.com/podcasts/012712/EmoCastMix.mp3

Word for word, from that EmoCast:

"We will be shipping the XMC-1 in, between June and July."
It's late September guys, where is it? If you're going to nail down a date then you need to stick to it; Public Relations 101.

U

unemployed

Enthusiast
At his Emofest gathering a few weeks ago, Emotiva company President Dan Laufman stated a TacT-less version of the XMC-1 would be avaiable in the 4th quarter of 2012, with a firmware revision with TacT out in the 1st quarter of 2013. Emotiva has missed several deadlines on this unit, but they promise it wil be right and worth the wait (Not like their UMC-1 which was full of bugs when first released). My guess is the XMC-1 wont be available until 2013. The natives at the Emotiva site are getting restless, and Mr. Laufman basically told his forum followers that if you can't wait, to please buy something else.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
At his Emofest gathering a few weeks ago, Emotiva company President Dan Laufman stated a TacT-less version of the XMC-1 would be avaiable in the 4th quarter of 2012, with a firmware revision with TacT out in the 1st quarter of 2013. Emotiva has missed several deadlines on this unit, but they promise it wil be right and worth the wait (Not like their UMC-1 which was full of bugs when first released). My guess is the XMC-1 wont be available until 2013. The natives at the Emotiva site are getting restless, and Mr. Laufman basically told his forum followers that if you can't wait, to please buy something else.
Is that the TacT digital time alignment room EQ setup software?

DJ

U

unemployed

Enthusiast
Is that the TacT digital time alignment room EQ setup software?

DJ

It's a room correction software. It was developed by Dr. Boz from TacT Audio. I believe it's a variant of some of TacT's earlier room correction systems. Not sure of the specific and/or particular inner workings of the TacT Emotiva program. Some people who attended the Emofest event last month posted they saw a two-channel demonstration of TacT and were generally impressed. The XMC-1 should be a nice device when it is released.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Is a new from the factory UMC-1 bug free now??? What does the XMC -1 have feature wise the UMC-1 does not have.besides problems? I wanted a UMC-1 but with SOOO many owners posting switching and other issues I waited and still my my Yamaha HD AVR as my Pre/Pro and amp.

J

josko

Audioholic
I bought a UMC-1 this past summer and sadly have to report it is not a bug-free processor. I've been struggling with the manual and Emotiva to get it set up and have had to do a complete reboot twice already when it ended up in an 'undocumented state. This is probably not the place for a UMC-1 bug list, but in my experience the processor is anything but bug-free. There's a reason 'all sales are final'

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
My thinking is that Emotiva needs to exit this segment, and focus on things that it can do, and does really well, like amps and pre-amps - and expand their pro audio segment. It seems that they just don't have the resources to compete with the Japanese companies in this space.

DJ

U

unemployed

Enthusiast
Is a new from the factory UMC-1 bug free now??? What does the XMC -1 have feature wise the UMC-1 does not have.besides problems? I wanted a UMC-1 but with SOOO many owners posting switching and other issues I waited and still my my Yamaha HD AVR as my Pre/Pro and amp.
Emotiva's UMC-1 is being clearanced and suceeded by the UMC-200 which should be out starting in December. The XMC-1 is supposed to be a wiz bang processor, with high quality room correction and the latest options. I don't own a UMC-1 so I can't comment about the bugs, but it seems most of them were cleared up per the commenters on the Emotiva board. There is a product description of the XMC-1 which is in pre-order phase. It has significantly more features than the UMC line.

IMO, this XMC-1 release could be a deal breaker in Emotiva's future processor business. To date, the XMC-1 has encountered many delays affecting potential purchasers to the point of causing frustration. If the XMC-1 doesn't perform correctly to expectations, their reputation could turn to one of a brand to avoid.

U

unemployed

Enthusiast
My thinking is that Emotiva needs to exit this segment, and focus on things that it can do, and does really well, like amps and pre-amps - and expand their pro audio segment. It seems that they just don't have the resources to compete with the Japanese companies in this space.

DJ
The XMC-1 looks very promising, but you very well might be right about competing with the larger companies. Emotiva has openly stated they are not being held up by outside suppliers and that this product is an in-house product.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Word for word, from that EmoCast:

It's late September guys, where is it? If you're going to nail down a date then you need to stick to it; Public Relations 101.
And now it's late November and still no release. Something that Emotiva seems to do over and over again is promise dates that they later find they can't deliver, and it looks bad on them. I'm not sure why they keep doing this but maybe they should keep quiet about a product until it's ready for shipping.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis