Emotiva XMC-1 Processor Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The new Emotiva XMC-1 is, according to the company, the "first product in a new generation of high performance digital audio products". Emotiva has been promising a new processor for years, and this is their fulfillment of that promise. Frankly, with the level of technology we're seeing in the Emotiva XMC-1 Processor, we're surprised such a small company can put develop such a product. But such technology comes at a cost. The new XMC-1 doubles the price of the older, UMC-1 Processor (on sale for $500 from Emotiva). But to say the XMC-1 Processor is an "upgrade" from the UMC-1 is a huge understatement. With tons of improvements and a new TACT room correction system, anyone looking for a processor should take a look at the new Emotiva XMC-1. Emotiva is offering a 40% discount for current UMC-1 owners wanting to upgrade to this new baby. If that provide enough incentive to upgrade your system, we don't know what will.

Discuss "Emotiva XMC-1 Processor Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

the_phew

Enthusiast
How does this TACT system compare to Audyssey MultiEQ XT32? i.e. true dual subwoofer calibration, multiple spacial locations, time domain correction, etc?

I know the 'Emo-Q' room correction in the UMC-1 was considered very primitive compared to even the lowest-end Audyssey solutions.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
yeah, but does the bass management work decently?

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
I be looking forward to room correction opinions too. Having a few emotiva mono amps and their DAC, I know they deliver - but room correction's always a tricky thing.

I'll be comparing it the Sherwood Newcastle's very nice, magical to me, correction scheme.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Agreed, Audyssey-caliber technology is a must these days. Unfortunately, with all the proprietary workings of the various Room EQ offerings, coupled with the fact that they have to be in a room to have any benefit, there's really no way to do a side by side on paper unless you just swallow marketing hype.

That being said, I love audyssey and think they are the ones to beat.

How does this TACT system compare to Audyssey MultiEQ XT32? i.e. true dual subwoofer calibration, multiple spacial locations, time domain correction, etc?

I know the 'Emo-Q' room correction in the UMC-1 was considered very primitive compared to even the lowest-end Audyssey solutions.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Boy, am I ever grabbing the popcorn on this one.

Looks like Charlie Brown is going for the football again.

Attachments

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can get the Denon AVR-4311CI brand new for $1600 shipped from authorized dealer.

DenPureSound got his for $1500 shipped brand new.

Audyssey XT32, dual HDMI outputs, tons of inputs, and I know everything actually works.:eek::D

Looks much better aesthetically, a lot less cheese.

Made in Japan, instead of China.

Has beefy backup internal amps just in case you external amps need servicing.

Oh, look, there is a used, like-new 4311 on Amazon (Electronic Expo, where DenPureSound got his 4311) for $1250:

Amazon.com: Used and New: Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2 Channel Network Multi-Room Home Theater Receiver with HDMI 1.4a

jinjuku

jinjuku

To be fair the Emo unit is balanced on the outputs and it's MSRP is $1400. Will have to wait and see.

I sure hope the large buggy releases are behind them. Not even Denon is beyond minor firmware tweaks for issues.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
My gripe here the the single HDMI out. Even if I were to consider one of these the lack of dual outputs is a deal breaker.

It is nice to see that this will see the light of day and I do hope it is a success for them.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I can get the Denon AVR-4311CI brand new for $1600 shipped from authorized dealer.

DenPureSound got his for $1500 shipped brand new.
crap I paid $1700 for mine.

This XMC-1, I'll give it 4 months after it gets to the hands of users, and after the updates that will follow before I will make a decision. I just remember the issues with the other Emotiva processor ( I had two and both went back). Software updates, well it's the wave of the future with all the bells and whistles in these AVR's you should expect updates to fix bugs and keep up with the ever changing market.

Regarding the Tact room correction, until someone actually does valid comparisons between Tact, Audyssey, YPAO, ARC the all are about as good as the other. I have had YPAO and Audyssey xT32 in my room with the same speakers and with my ears I couldn't tell any difference after the calibration.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My gripe here the the single HDMI out.
That caught my attention also.

Gotta have at least two of everything these days.:D

And no component 1080p video? I don't use it, but it is high-definition and a lot of folks use it.

For just pre-pro (for those that don't want AVR), I say the Integra units are standard.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I've heard nothing but great things about Tact from industry professionals so I for one am looking forward to evaluating this processor. I want to see how it stacks up to Audyssey and my Denon AVP is getting upgraded to the latest Audyssey in 2 weeks so this is timely.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Figures, the old lady and I just dropped a bundle on the second tier offering from Onkyo late last year. O well, i guess thats just the way things go.

DJ

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I've heard nothing but great things about Tact from industry professionals so I for one am looking forward to evaluating this processor. I want to see how it stacks up to Audyssey and my Denon AVP is getting upgraded to the latest Audyssey in 2 weeks so this is timely.
I know the stand alone TACT offerings are hella expensive but supposedly well thought out. I guess we'll see.

DJ

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Boy, am I ever grabbing the popcorn on this one.

Looks like Charlie Brown is going for the football again.
EXACTLY my thoughts. As soon as I saw this post, I clicked reply and looked for the popcorn smiley, and there isn't one here.

This should make for good reading over the next 6 months.

majorloser

majorloser

I was the very first person to get the UMC-1. I've been waiting for the XMC-1 from the very beginning since the UMC-1 was meant for my bedroom and the XMC-1 for the theater.

Even with all the problems with the UMC-1, I'd still take the first XMC-1 that come out of their shops. I don't mind being a guinea pig for a company that works with you.

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
I was the very first person to get the UMC-1. I've been waiting for the XMC-1 from the very beginning since the UMC-1 was meant for my bedroom and the XMC-1 for the theater.

Even with all the problems with the UMC-1, I'd still take the first XMC-1 that come out of their shops. I don't mind being a guinea pig for a company that works with you.
Here's an important question; how many people want to pay $1500 for a beta release (of course, unless if it's specified as such) and put up with years of promises of software fixes? I'm not sure a lot would agree with you. For $1,500, it better be virtually flawless in operation out of the box. I for one would be (what's the nicest word here) annoyed if I paid that kind of coin, and had another UMC-1 situation on my hands. It would be on its way right back to Emotiva. Lets hope they learned their lesson with the UMC-1.

However, I suppose everyone's pocketbook and level of patience are different. I prefer to spend the majority of my time actually enjoying my equipment, and not having to put up with hassles/headaches.

What about comparing this with the Denon 4311? I'd love to see what Audioholics thinks, since the 4311 can now be had from some authorized dealers for $1600 or so.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis