Emotiva XMC-1 FINALLY shipping!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just got my email and ordered today, got to send in my discount card. Hope to have mine by middle of Sept.!!!!!!
Sure you don't want to wait to see how everything works out first? :D

I mean wait until at least they have Dirac. :eek:

T

totalcomfort

Enthusiast
Sure you don't want to wait to see how everything works out first? :D

I mean wait until at least they have Dirac. :eek:
I gave this some thought and decided to take a chance ( I think a small one ) based on other stuff I have purchased from them. I have a late UMC 1 and have had no problems with it or the UPA 200 and Upa 500 I have. I think the XMC is one of the best deals going. Time will tell but at a 40% discount I don't think I can go wrong.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
I gave this some thought and decided to take a chance ( I think a small one ) based on other stuff I have purchased from them. I have a late UMC 1 and have had no problems with it or the UPA 200 and Upa 500 I have. I think the XMC is one of the best deals going. Time will tell but at a 40% discount I don't think I can go wrong.
+1

At full price, not so much. But 40% is a deep discount. I'm not sure i could ignore the temptation.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
+1

At full price, not so much. But 40% is a deep discount. I'm not sure i could ignore the temptation.
Hopefully you can reap that full discount. If implementation of the full feature set arrives in a timely fashion without issue, the value seems tremendous.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I know a lot of people are saying that $2000 is a lot of money, and it is but, as I understand it VERY few have sold to people not using a discount... $1200 isn't bad if you figure most balanced pre/pros are much more than that... I think the marantz 7005 was the cheapest around $1600? I am not positeve though...

But that is if you are in the market for something like that, me personally after my umc200 is outdated, if there isn't another cheap pro pro I will buy the cheapest avr from denon, marantz, or Pioneer with preouts...

BUT IF YOU LIKE a really crazy high end avr, then this emo product may be a nice choice, I really honestly hope it is, because it is starting to give emo a bad name, and I don't want my resale values to go down, lol...

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
No room correction yet but you do have 11 bands of PEQ to play around with.

I got it last night but yelled and screamed for at the thing for about an hour because I couldn't get the damn triggers to work. I have both of my amps plugged into the Belkin PF31 because I'm out of wall outlets. Well for some reason the Belkins' switched outlets won't even turn on with the XMC. I had no such trouble with the UMC-1 or the Marantz. I don't know what they changed but it sucks. I ended up turning on the switched outlets manually and the amps freaked out, turning on and off hella fast, sounded like a typewriter. I did happen to read on the Emo forum that others were having this same issue and that the temporary fix is to use a trigger cable with a resistor wired in or something. If I hadn't read about this on their forum it would have scared the hell out of me.

So I ended up bypassing the triggers and turning on the amps manually just to make sure I had my speaker connections right and then it was time for bed. So I didn't even get to listen to the damn thing last night.

Also when I was checking the connections I noticed that I got no sound from my rear sub. I think I had the XMC set to "Dual Mono" for subs. Maybe you have to set it to stereo to get test tones out of both subs.

I don't know man. I was SO excited for this thing but now it's starting to feel like the UMC-1 all over again.:mad:
You should check the Bug Thread at the Emo forum for this model. I'd be patient though, it could well be that you just need to switch some settings.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
No room correction yet but you do have 11 bands of PEQ to play around with.

I got it last night but yelled and screamed for at the thing for about an hour because I couldn't get the damn triggers to work. I have both of my amps plugged into the Belkin PF31 because I'm out of wall outlets. Well for some reason the Belkins' switched outlets won't even turn on with the XMC. I had no such trouble with the UMC-1 or the Marantz. I don't know what they changed but it sucks. I ended up turning on the switched outlets manually and the amps freaked out, turning on and off hella fast, sounded like a typewriter. I did happen to read on the Emo forum that others were having this same issue and that the temporary fix is to use a trigger cable with a resistor wired in or something. If I hadn't read about this on their forum it would have scared the hell out of me.

So I ended up bypassing the triggers and turning on the amps manually just to make sure I had my speaker connections right and then it was time for bed. So I didn't even get to listen to the damn thing last night.

Also when I was checking the connections I noticed that I got no sound from my rear sub. I think I had the XMC set to "Dual Mono" for subs. Maybe you have to set it to stereo to get test tones out of both subs.

I don't know man. I was SO excited for this thing but now it's starting to feel like the UMC-1 all over again.:mad:
Hopefully this ends well, I hated installing my processor, its one of the reasons I am not changing it until I absolutely have to...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hopefully this ends well, I hated installing my processor, its one of the reasons I am not changing it until I absolutely have to...
+1

I'm still on a ~7-8 year old Pio Elite. It took a good year for me to get very comfortable with it's ergonomics (these models are notoriously difficult to master). I just don't feel like the hassle of upgrading yet. The main thing i would be interested in is Airplay/DNLA type connections, and my current config makes it pretty much a moot point.

Now, we have all this atmos stuff and the HDMI 2.0 in it's infancy on the latest batch or receivers, so I just don't see putting my $ on these features. I'll either wait it out a couple more years or go with an older model at a discount.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Called up Emo yesterday about the trigger issue and they are aware of it and will be releasing a fix along with the Dirac firmware update. They are also aware of the "dual mono" sub test tone issue. For now the work-around is to set them at "stereo" and set your levels that way and then put them back to dual mono.

Emo is sending me a trigger module that should fix my trigger issue. Pretty cool of them.

Last night I only had time to set my speaker levels and distances and have a quick listen. I put in Iron Man because I remember hearing a metallic clink when Stark is demo'ing the Jericho missile back when I had the UMC-1. That sound was missing with the Marantz. I'm happy to report that it is back with the XMC. I only listened to some music for about a half hour but so far the unit does sound really good. I'll have to take some time to tweak the sound with the PEQ, hopefully this weekend.

The best thing is that damn ground loop hum is gone. Pretty sure I'll be keeping this over the 7005.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
+1

I'm still on a ~7-8 year old Pio Elite. It took a good year for me to get very comfortable with it's ergonomics (these models are notoriously difficult to master). I just don't feel like the hassle of upgrading yet. The main thing i would be interested in is Airplay/DNLA type connections, and my current config makes it pretty much a moot point.

Now, we have all this atmos stuff and the HDMI 2.0 in it's infancy on the latest batch or receivers, so I just don't see putting my $ on these features. I'll either wait it out a couple more years or go with an older model at a discount.
If it isn't broken, don't fix it, right? Same here. :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Called up Emo yesterday about the trigger issue and they are aware of it and will be releasing a fix along with the Dirac firmware update. They are also aware of the "dual mono" sub test tone issue. For now the work-around is to set them at "stereo" and set your levels that way and then put them back to dual mono.

Emo is sending me a trigger module that should fix my trigger issue. Pretty cool of them.

Last night I only had time to set my speaker levels and distances and have a quick listen. I put in Iron Man because I remember hearing a metallic clink when Stark is demo'ing the Jericho missile back when I had the UMC-1. That sound was missing with the Marantz. I'm happy to report that it is back with the XMC. I only listened to some music for about a half hour but so far the unit does sound really good. I'll have to take some time to tweak the sound with the PEQ, hopefully this weekend.

The best thing is that damn ground loop hum is gone. Pretty sure I'll be keeping this over the 7005.

Awesome, I think everyone that buys the xmc should call up and get a trigger module for free, them things are $40 each... https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/et-3 I have one and it does what its supposed to...

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Awesome, I think everyone that buys the xmc should call up and get a trigger module for free, them things are $40 each... https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/et-3 I have one and it does what its supposed to...
That's exactly what they sent me.

At first the XPA worked fine but the UPA was still clicking. Then I realized I had used an existing trigger cable I had because it was longer than the one Emo had supplied. I swapped my cable for the one Emo supplied and everything worked fine. Now I'm just waiting for an HDMI splitter from Monoprice so I can bypass the XMC for TV. The video on standby pass through works but for some reason there is a DRASTIC difference in volume now. Some commercials are MUCH louder than others and some channels are louder than others. Pretty annoying.

T

totalcomfort

Enthusiast
Finally got my shipping info, should have it Thursday. I think I feel a fever coming on, may have to call in sick LOL.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's exactly what they sent me.

At first the XPA worked fine but the UPA was still clicking. Then I realized I had used an existing trigger cable I had because it was longer than the one Emo had supplied. I swapped my cable for the one Emo supplied and everything worked fine.
Yeah, I tried using a 10' trigger cable and it didn't work to trigger my ATI amp either. I had to use the shorter 6' cable. I guess the extra 4' makes a huge difference.

T

totalcomfort

Enthusiast
Well got mine today and have done some basic setup. WOW so far sounds great, still learning the menu keys.
Have the trigger issue with my upa500 but will wait for firmware update, not a big deal to me.
Will post a more detailed report this weekend when I can spend some more time with it.
It sounds much better to me than my umc1.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just got my ET-3 module today. :D

Plugged in the included 3' trigger cable from the ET3 to Denon AVP-A1. Then 3 trigger cables (6') from the ET3 to my 3 ATI amps.

Works great.

Only c/o is that the 4 included cables are too short (3'). The blue lights are also too bright. :D

The reason I need the ET3 is because the distance of my ATI amps are now too far from my Denon pre-pro. I bought 10' trigger cables, but they do not work. Only the 6' cables or shorter work.

Now I can place the ET3 3' closer to the ATI amps and use the old 6' cables like before.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Emotiva did me a favor by making this neat little thing. It is worth my $40. :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I just got my ET-3 module today. :D

Plugged in the included 3' trigger cable from the ET3 to Denon AVP-A1. Then 3 trigger cables (6') from the ET3 to my 3 ATI amps.

Works great.

Only c/o is that the 4 included cables are too short (3'). The blue lights are also too bright. :D

The reason I need the ET3 is because the distance of my ATI amps are now too far from my Denon pre-pro. I bought 10' trigger cables, but they do not work. Only the 6' cables or shorter work.

Now I can place the ET3 3' closer to the ATI amps and use the old 6' cables like before.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Emotiva did me a favor by making this neat little thing. It is worth my $40. :)
Are you crazy, you could have gotten it for free, just buy an xmc1.. man you really f#kd the pooch on this one..

anyway... any new gear is fun, good luck with it..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are you crazy, you could have gotten it for free, just buy an xmc1.. man you really f#kd the pooch on this one..

anyway... any new gear is fun, good luck with it..
LOL. What the f### was I thinking? :eek: :D

But seriously, I am so very happy with this little gadget. I can't even count the number of times I would forget to turn on my amps. :eek:

Now I don't have to worry anymore. One less stress is well worth the $40 (free shipping, ~ 2 days). :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis