Emotiva XDA-1 Fully Balanced DAC/Preamp

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I wonder if there could be a profitable business if I picked up the Behringer, the Emotiva, DacMagic, Benchmark DAC1 and one or two other DAC's and rented them out for evaluation (a/b/c...) purposes against each other.

Send out an entire care package with IC's etc...
Might be a good idea ....
Going back to Behringer - I just read review saying it's not quite there with DacMagic and such - what do you think?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Might be a good idea ....
Going back to Behringer - I just read review saying it's not quite there with DacMagic and such - what do you think?
I don't know, I haven't read that review... Link?

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I don't know, I haven't read that review... Link?
Good question - let me try to better rephrase my question.
Many "audiophiles" think Behringer is cheap hence can't sound as good as DacMagic. Nevermind I cannot find measurements in those reviews. Some users swear Behringer is the real deal some call it mid-fi and I just can't find reviews with clear measurements.
That's why I am asking - what's your take on Behringer?
I can put out some links if you still want them but you'd waste your time since they don't have real measurements.

Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia

Junior Audioholic
When I called 4 (maybe 5) days ago I was told that I am most likely in the 3rd batch (IF I get lucky I'd be in the second) :mad:
I got an email from Janna this morning that said mine will be there on 11-29 and asking for payment info.

With the $100 coupon I got from buying the UMC-1 that means It's mine for $199 and I'll have it before Christmas. :D

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I got an email from Janna this morning that said mine will be there on 11-29 and asking for payment info.

With the $100 coupon I got from buying the UMC-1 that means It's mine for $199 and I'll have it before Christmas. :D
I hate you! :p:p:p
Now I might forgive you IF you write a loooong and detailed review when you get your XDA1

jinjuku

jinjuku

Good question - let me try to better rephrase my question.
Many "audiophiles" think Behringer is cheap hence can't sound as good as DacMagic. Nevermind I cannot find measurements in those reviews. Some users swear Behringer is the real deal some call it mid-fi and I just can't find reviews with clear measurements.
That's why I am asking - what's your take on Behringer?
I can put out some links if you still want them but you'd waste your time since they don't have real measurements.
My take is mod the psu and use a balanced amp and the thing will run.

Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia

Junior Audioholic
I hate you! :p:p:p
Now I might forgive you IF you write a loooong and detailed review when you get your XDA1
I'll try. It might be the first of the year before I can get to it. I'll be off island mid December and then will be busy during the holidays. I do think it will be a nice add to my system.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Just thought I'd ask - has anyone received their XDA1? How good is the preamp section?

Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia

Junior Audioholic
Mine is in transit. I'm on the other side of the planet so takes about a week.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Somebody please post a review of the XDA1 already :p - some measurements would be great. I am curious how good the volume control is ...

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Somebody please post a review of the XDA1 already :p - some measurements would be great. I am curious how good the volume control is ...
Dude, go to the Emotiva forum, there are numerous reviews there. One common thing I'm seeing as that some people aren't digging the volume. Apparently the gain is pretty high so you only get to about 5 before you're at reference level.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Can't say I've seen any measurements yet. The reviews from the Emotiva site from those new to Dacs seem to be positive. From those with some experience, the reviews seem to me neutral at best. Seems the performance is simaliar to other Dacs in the same price range. I haven't heard the Emo yet, just giving my impression of the reviews I've read so far.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
I've got the XDA and the volume is only a potential issue if you connect it directly into an amp. With RCA's going to my XPA-3, with some cds I get 90 db(at seating position) at about 12 out of 80. With others I've been in the low 20s. Others on the Emo forum have said the volume is implemented incorrectly so that one step up on the volume gives several db increase for the first 6-7 on the volume dial. then it levels out to a proper .5 db for every .5 increase of the volume.

I will say, though, that the SQ is definitely an improvement over running my cd player(ERC) to the external inputs of a Denon 3803 and then pre outs to the amp. A superior soundstage with more accuracy/refinement across the frequency range. Not night and day difference, but certainly noticeble. Also, the XDA seems a little brighter, but Denons are usually labeled a warm sound, so it should be pretty neutral for most.

Having a volume on this unit really makes it attractive and it's a feature that's pretty rare for most DACs, let alone at this price range. I'm disappointed at the incorrect implementation of the volume, and I hope Emotiva can come up with some kind of update for it. But I'll keep it anyway, it's my first DAC and it does sound pretty good.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Having a volume on this unit really makes it attractive and it's a feature that's pretty rare for most DACs, let alone at this price range. I'm disappointed at the incorrect implementation of the volume, and I hope Emotiva can come up with some kind of update for it. But I'll keep it anyway, it's my first DAC and it does sound pretty good.

I don't think I will ever purchase a line level device of any form from Emotiva...

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I've got the XDA and the volume is only a potential issue if you connect it directly into an amp. With RCA's going to my XPA-3, with some cds I get 90 db(at seating position) at about 12 out of 80. With others I've been in the low 20s. Others on the Emo forum have said the volume is implemented incorrectly so that one step up on the volume gives several db increase for the first 6-7 on the volume dial. then it levels out to a proper .5 db for every .5 increase of the volume.

I will say, though, that the SQ is definitely an improvement over running my cd player(ERC) to the external inputs of a Denon 3803 and then pre outs to the amp. A superior soundstage with more accuracy/refinement across the frequency range. Not night and day difference, but certainly noticeble. Also, the XDA seems a little brighter, but Denons are usually labeled a warm sound, so it should be pretty neutral for most.

WTF - 12 out of 80 for 90 db? OUUUUCH.
For me that's a big NO-NO. Anyway - mine is supposed to come in Feb - I hope they fix the volume by then... At this point I even wonder if YBA wd202 would be a better choice. It is more expensive but I saw reviews galore and measurements are very good. Plus the volume is implemented well. But it is 500$ more expensive :eek::eek::eek: (795$)
I've been looking for a long time for some affordable DAC-preamp combination with remote under 800$ ...

jinjuku

jinjuku

I've got the XDA and the volume is only a potential issue if you connect it directly into an amp.
:eek: LOL, how do you think most people are going to be using this DAC?

If Emotiva didn't intend to go:
Source->DAC->Amp->Speakers

They wouldn't have put a gain knob on it (it would have been fixed gain).

jinjuku

jinjuku

WTF - 12 out of 80 for 90 db? OUUUUCH.
For me that's a big NO-NO. Anyway - mine is supposed to come in Feb - I hope they fix the volume by then... At this point I even wonder if YBA wd202 would be a better choice. It is more expensive but I saw reviews galore and measurements are very good. Plus the volume is implemented well. But it is 500$ more expensive :eek::eek::eek: (795$)
I've been looking for a long time for some affordable DAC-preamp combination with remote under 800$ ...
Get the SRC 2496. If you hate it return it. I am not sure what is so difficult with this concept Boerd.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
:eek: LOL, how do you think most people are going to be using this DAC?

If Emotiva didn't intend to go:
Source->DAC->Amp->Speakers

They wouldn't have put a gain knob on it (it would have been fixed gain).
+1 here. The most attractive feature for me was the volume control - it would have helped me get rid of the preamp - less components in the signal path.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Get the SRC 2496. If you hate it return it. I am not sure what is so difficult with this concept Boerd.
SRC2496 has no remote - I'd have to get up and walk 6-8 feet to change volume :eek::p
I am on the fence with the SRC2496 - but it might be a good idea...

jinjuku

jinjuku

SRC2496 has no remote - I'd have to get up and walk 6-8 feet to change volume :eek::p
I am on the fence with the SRC2496 - but it might be a good idea...
Your SOURCE should have volume control. Gain on the SRC? set it and forget it.

With my 2.0 I plan on only one source component. I don't even know if I will use an external DAC (Headphone operation may decide that for me).

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis