Emotiva XDA-1 Fully Balanced DAC/Preamp

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting piece, and the price is beyond appealing. If it is fully balanced like they say it is then it could break new ground in the audiophile community.

Paired with two UPA-1s it could be the cheapest fully balanced rig out there at just under $1K.

I'm semi surprised it doesn't offer a dedicated subwoofer output let alone bass management given the device deals exclusively in digital connections. However, at this price it leaves me only semi surprised.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I still want them to put out an XLR-using AVR!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I still want them to put out an XLR-using AVR!
I think they are afraid to do another AVR after their first one. They went with a class D design to combine form with power. It's entirely possible they don't think the ID crowd will want a class A/B or class H design in a receiver with the price point that ID crowds desire. It's a pickle, no doubt about it.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Paired with two UPA-1s it could be the cheapest fully balanced rig out there at just under $1K.
The UPA-1 has balanced inputs but I don't think it's fully balanced. I think only their XPA-1 is fully balanced.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I think they are afraid to do another AVR after their first one. They went with a class D design to combine form with power. It's entirely possible they don't think the ID crowd will want a class A/B or class H design in a receiver with the price point that ID crowds desire. It's a pickle, no doubt about it.
I'd be happy with a fully XLR-supporting AV-Pre to do all the work for my bank-o-amps.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If they could just had a couple of analog L+R inputs (Input 1, Input 2), it would be a total package for those who also want a cheap stereo preamp with volume display + DAC.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think only their XPA-1 is fully balanced.
XPA-1: "Fully balanced quad differential input stage"

I wonder why it doesn't say "fully balanced from Input to Output"?

So if it's just balanced on the INPUT stage, does it become unbalanced once it passes the Input stage?:eek:

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
XPA-1: "Fully balanced quad differential input stage"

I wonder why it doesn't say "fully balanced from Input to Output"?

So if it's just balanced on the INPUT stage, does it become unbalanced once it passes the Input stage?:eek:
it does add
Fully Discrete Differential Reference™ Output Stage with fully independent balanced and unbalanced drive stages
:eek:

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I would LOVE one of these for my PC setup....this would be just perfect! Also I love the remote, very slick.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like a nice piece, though I would wait to see how things pan out with it before jumping in head first, though one really has nothing to worry about - Emotiva has been top notch with their return policy.

I certainly won't be as complicated as the UMC-1 with all its bells and whistles which had alot of hiccups. So maybe it'll just a really nice plug and play 2 channel unit... I hope so....

Interesting piece, and the price is beyond appealing. If it is fully balanced like they say it is then it could break new ground in the audiophile community.

I'm semi surprised it doesn't offer a dedicated subwoofer output let alone bass management given the device deals exclusively in digital connections. However, at this price it leaves me only semi surprised.
I agree 100%, adding in a crossover and output for external sub/s I think would make this unit perfect for a great many people that want and need a 2 channel rig with sub. Something that is totally lacking in the industry - at least few and far between.

FWIW - they sure make good lookin products IMO...

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry for the ignorance guys, but can somene please explain why I need this?

I already have the UMC-1, so where is the benefit in an outboard DAC?

I have a $100 gift certificate from Emotiva, (given as a "sorry for the pain in the ***" gesture), so I could pick this up for $200. Just wondering why I would need to.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry for the ignorance guys, but can somene please explain why I need this?

I already have the UMC-1, so where is the benefit in an outboard DAC?

I have a $100 gift certificate from Emotiva, (given as a "sorry for the pain in the ***" gesture), so I could pick this up for $200. Just wondering why I would need to.
It would be for a dedicated 2 channel system, or maybe for in a recording studio to playback really high fidelity stuff.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
At the price I feel like I'm "looking a gift horse in the mouth" by asking this, but why are they using an op-amp after the DAC for I/V conversion when they went to all the expense of following it with a "Fully Discrete Differential Reference™ Output Stage with fully independent balanced and unbalanced drive stages?"

I'm not saying an op-amp is a bad thing in this design, but I'm curious. if a discrete design is better for the output stage, why not for the I/V conversion as well? Obviously use of an op-amp is cost effective, but is its use here a bottle-neck of this design in terms of sound quality?

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking this DAC, in fact... I'm probably going to buy one. I'm just wondering about this one aspect of the design.

Anyone?

Kitsum

Junior Audioholic
If they could just had a couple of analog L+R inputs (Input 1, Input 2), it would be a total package for those who also want a cheap stereo preamp with volume display + DAC.:D
Yeah, that and a headphone jack would be a killer deal for me, even for $100 more. My Matrix mini-i will do it for now but i do feel the need for a remote control.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Doesn't this DAC's marketing sound too good to be true? All this balanced this and that, top notch DAC, etc and in the end the SNR is 105 db...
Now that is good for me BUT if all components are so good how come the specs are below DacMagic (which is also made in China) ?
I will wait to see a review and some measurements.
Any Emotiva gear owners could tell their impressions about Emotiva products and customer support? Do they understate their specs ?

Thank you

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis