Emotiva Customer Service is Horrible!

W

wilejoe

Junior Audioholic
Herbu has got it right.
I learned from my wife years ago
I the cust. service rep isn't helping ask for their mgr
And most important keep a list of who you talked to, what was said along with the date
That way when talking to an exucutive when the problem gets as far as yours did you can rattle off names and dates
Gets much better results

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
And most important keep a list of who you talked to, what was said along with the date
Exactly right. Provide clear crisp detail and facts in your letter to the exec. And as difficult as it may be, a disappointed but supportive tone. The facts give an investigator something to investigate. The tone says you are mature, still a potential customer, and could be a viable asset if satisfied. After all, it is all about the money.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I use a call recorder app on my cell phone. Also my business phone system records calls (I live a one party state). It keeps me honest since I know the call is being recorded and when I bump into a we say / they say situation the actual record is quite clear.

Best investment I have made in keeping both companies and my customers honest. Trust but verify.

V

VanPT

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies guys. To address some of the points here. I have not at anytime become unreasonable or rude to the call takers. I have asked during the process to speak with the manager/supervisor/head of tech in an effort to get this resolved. I have told the whole bloody story to more then 3-4 people because someone is busy/not there/doesn't understand what is wrong. I appreciate the logistics in running smooth/good customer service and though it may not seem like it from my rant, I have been VERY patient! More then most would be during this whole ordeal. I NEVER resort to hitting the forums or any other avenue to express my disappointment/frustration. But it has been 3 months, 6-8 phone calls and being left hanging more times then I can count. I will accept not being called back or items not shipping out once, maybe twice with a good explanation but with Emo there has been NO explanations throughout this and happened AGAIN and AGAIN. Yet every time I called back there was no apology, no urgency, NOTHING to help me, the customer. To finally get to the point where I am shipping the unit back after 2 months of headache, would a company not perhaps place some importance on getting my unit looked at ASAP? To call back and have them say..."yeah we have had it for two weeks and have not even looked at it yet". I'm sorry, that is ridiculous! It's like the past two months never happened. And if its down to not tracking calls, parts, whatever, they need to do a better job.

Maybe from all this, they will. The Emo forum admin has taken notice and I it looks like I may be getting some attention. But I think most would agree, I should not have had to resort to this to get what is finally some customer service.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
After the first board didn't solve the issue, I would have asked for a replacement unit. I had a number of issues getting my UMC-200 up and running, but only one day with it actually completely unusable. I had different service experiences with my amp vs my UMC. The amp they replaced immediately without me even requesting it. The UMC I had to go back and forth a few times on the various issues, sometimes it took a bit longer than I would have liked, but eventually everything was worked out. Sorry to hear that this one has been a difficult one for you.

V

VanPT

Audiophyte
J.Garcia,

In hindsight what you suggest is what I should have done and will in the future. I appears that US based customers seem to get a better response, at least from what I'm reading. I'll chalk it up to shipping rates as I don't have any other reason to suggest otherwise at this time. But I am 15 mins from the US border so I basically can act like a US based client. I will accept there was likely some confusion about this but they should have known that because when I bought the unit it was shipped to a US address. I won't rehash everything but even after that shipping issue was cleared up and I sent it back, still nothing happened and I am left having to track them down and make callbacks after leaving my name and #. I just remembered that I also called when the unit arrived (just after Nov.15) and talked to the customer service gal, confirming that they received the unit. I wanted to make sure they got it and assumed that my call may get the ball rolling sooner on repairing my unit. Well.... you know what they say about assume.

Anyway, we will see what transpires next week and hopefully I get a working, upgraded (firmware) UMC-200 by Xmas because 2 months of using a TV speaker is driving me crazy!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
VanPT,
It does sound like you went above and beyond. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. In fact, your acceptance of a solution that requires you to change the board is FAR beyond what I would ever do for consumer electronics.

We used to have certain components designated CRUs, (Customer Replaceable Units). These were parts we would ship to a customer and let them do the installation, but they were always plug-and-play parts like memory dimms or drives. None required any disassembly of the system.

Interesting also that there are different legal definitions for parts that can be used in a "new build" and parts that can be used in a repair. For a system to be sold as "new", it cannot contain any parts that have previously been sold. "Sold" is generally defined as the seal has been broken on the original packaging by a customer. So if a customer buys a system, opens the box and just looks at it, then decides he doesn't want it and returns it, the system and all its parts are considered "used" and cannot be reused in another system to be sold as "new".

But "used" parts of any description are OK to use for repairs. When your system fails and the company changes a part to fix it, what happens to the bad part that was replaced? If it's an expensive part, it is repaired and then used to repair another system. Each company defines the test procedure that "qualifies" a used/repaired part to be used again. That test procedure may or may not be as exhaustive as the tests on a new part.

I don't like to do my own repairs because I don't want to be the final test. I want the company to test my system with all the parts. A repair part may pass all their tests, but still not work in my system due to an accumulation of tolerances or various other issues. NDF, (No Defect Found), fails are common on a mfg line. A part is replaced and the system works fine. The removed part is then put in another system, and it works fine. I will ALWAYS return my system for repair/replacement if the repair is anything more than plug-and-play.

Again, please don't think I'm criticizing anything you did. You were more than accommodating and none of it is your fault. I'm just trying to share a little general understanding of what happens within the company to handle a field failure.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I'm not very tolerant. I bought a MPS-2 from EMO a few years ago and everything was good. But then again, I never NEEDED service. If I had needed service after only 1 YR, I would be upset. And if EMO did not take care of it immediately, I would raise hell on the forum. And then tell everyone never to buy EMO ever. :D

Hopefully EMO will resolve this issue for you regardless of where you live. If they can do a great job selling it to you in Canada, they sure as hell can do a great job giving you the support you need in Canada.

I hate companies that talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. :D

Sweet talk you when taking your hard earned money, but then leave you to dry and die when you need them most? I don't think so. :mad:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
And if EMO did not take care of it immediately, I would raise hell on the forum. And then tell everyone never to buy EMO ever. :D
Back in 2007 when this happened to a few of us, we didn't feel so free to rail on them here. They were a sponsor, and none of us had been here that long. I did mention it, but not nearly as harshly as I felt. I took a different approach and left the forum for six months. I associate the two, and I was too upset to hang out here after my experiences with Lonnie and the others. Later, I figured that I'm not going to let them ruin my fun here, too, and came back.

I did tell a lot of people to never buy from them, but it was irrelevant - none of the people that I know off of this forum would buy an amp, anyway. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Back in 2007 when this happened to a few of us, we didn't feel so free to rail on them here. They were a sponsor, and none of us had been here that long. I did mention it, but not nearly as harshly as I felt. I took a different approach and left the forum for six months. I associate the two, and I was too upset to hang out here after my experiences with Lonnie and the others. Later, I figured that I'm not going to let them ruin my fun here, too, and came back.

I did tell a lot of people to never buy from them, but it was irrelevant - none of the people that I know off of this forum would buy an amp, anyway. :D
It's pretty obvious that you are way nicer than I. :D

I would have raised hell if Emotiva had done that to me.

Well, EMO should take care of you now RETROSPECTIVELY for the damages they severely caused you - if they know what's best for them. :D

In the meantime let's see if we can help the OP, at least emotionally. :D

I am on the OP's side (consumer side) 100%.

C'mon, EMO.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I added up what I spent with emo in the near past and it is almost $6000 and my brother has spent around 8K, I know if I had a service issue and they didn't take care of me to my satisfaction, I would call and demand to talk to Dan. Get this fixed and express to them how much it is upsetting you...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I added up what I spent with emo in the near past and it is almost $6000 and my brother has spent around 8K, I know if I had a service issue and they didn't take care of me to my satisfaction, I would call and demand to talk to Dan. Get this fixed and express to them how much it is upsetting you...
That is a lot of money for sure on EMO.

I know the main reason people buy EMO is because they are one of the most cost effective.

But saving money doesn't mean anything if they leave you out to hang when you need them the most.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
That is true. I have not yet heard a story where they broke their warranty policy though... Anything you hear is international {except for a couple incidents, adams was from before I was a member, I never heard the entire story}.

To me this is what I get out of the op's situation...
He bought the unit with a 5 year warranty, it worked for a while then broke, they sent a new part and it was fixed, then it broke again, they sent a new part and it was not fixed, he had to call them at least twice for each part, and now when he sent it back on his own dime they didn't look at it after 2 weeks passed and he called to follow up... This is indeed poor practice, they are wrong, and now the op and anyone else reading this knows, to
1-record the information incase you need it at a later date--- get names and incident numbers when available, write down dates and times of calls...
2-follow up after a couple days if you did not get a tracking number or confirmation of some sort by then
3- buy local if and when possible {this will save you shipping costs and aggravation in the off chance there is a problem} {you are buying emo because they are a great value, an amp or processor of equal quality would cost 2-10 times more if bought elsewhere...

4- processors from small companies like emo, outlaw, parasound, ect. will most likely have problems, I had REALLY good luck with my UMC1 and UMC200 {its one of the first ones sold and not an issue with it as of yet, and we use it 8-10 hours EVERYDAY since it arrived}. You will do much better with a Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, ect that has preouts for the same price, but beware with the exception of Denon if Emos CS scares you some of the big companies will have you setting up a noose and a shaky chair in no time...

So anyway, I hope the OP gets this taken care of and in all honesty I'm sure Emo is going to fix his unit and return it or replace it, there is little doubt about that, they aren't going to "rob" you or send it back broken, just taking longer than it should , I sent an email onto the rep I deal with with a link to this thread expressing my concern since between me and my brother we own almost $15K in emo gear...

Some times we forget this is only stereo equipment, its not a life and death issue, your pipes aren't going to freeze because your heat isn't on, your grandfather isn't going to have a stroke from the heat since your air conditioner is out, food isn't going to spoil since the refrigerator is broken, your not going to lose your job because your car can't move, your not able to get around because your prosthetic legs ankle joint is seized up, ect... this is just an av receiver not your sons iron lung machine, mechanical and electronic devices break, its the nature of the beast, and some times a phone call or two can fall through the cracks, I understand this since I am in business and go through it once and a while myself, the op did the rite thing by expressing his feelings here and warning others on how to take care of the situation, hopefully this saves someone else the aggravation that he is going through, and hopefully emo gets off of their *** and gets him his unit back before he has to watch Seed in 2.0 again {Seed is like the canadian Friends}..
Google Image Result for http://tvbroadcasting.rogersdigitalmedia.com.edgesuite.net/bcassets/1632712407/1632712407_2050187051001_640x330-seed.jpg?pubId=1632712407

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Exactly right. Provide clear crisp detail and facts in your letter to the exec. And as difficult as it may be, a disappointed but supportive tone. The facts give an investigator something to investigate. The tone says you are mature, still a potential customer, and could be a viable asset if satisfied. After all, it is all about the money.
Yes, but easier said than done. One expects good results reading good reports of the company. So, the first few calls may not be noteworthy. By the time it is, perhaps details are lost and downhill from there.

V

VanPT

Audiophyte
That is true. I have not yet heard a story where they broke their warranty policy though... Anything you hear is international {except for a couple incidents, adams was from before I was a member, I never heard the entire story}.

To me this is what I get out of the op's situation...
He bought the unit with a 5 year warranty, it worked for a while then broke, they sent a new part and it was fixed, then it broke again, they sent a new part and it was not fixed, he had to call them at least twice for each part, and now when he sent it back on his own dime they didn't look at it after 2 weeks passed and he called to follow up... This is indeed poor practice, they are wrong, and now the op and anyone else reading this knows, to
1-record the information incase you need it at a later date--- get names and incident numbers when available, write down dates and times of calls...
2-follow up after a couple days if you did not get a tracking number or confirmation of some sort by then
3- buy local if and when possible {this will save you shipping costs and aggravation in the off chance there is a problem} {you are buying emo because they are a great value, an amp or processor of equal quality would cost 2-10 times more if bought elsewhere...

4- processors from small companies like emo, outlaw, parasound, ect. will most likely have problems, I had REALLY good luck with my UMC1 and UMC200 {its one of the first ones sold and not an issue with it as of yet, and we use it 8-10 hours EVERYDAY since it arrived}. You will do much better with a Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, ect that has preouts for the same price, but beware with the exception of Denon if Emos CS scares you some of the big companies will have you setting up a noose and a shaky chair in no time...

So anyway, I hope the OP gets this taken care of and in all honesty I'm sure Emo is going to fix his unit and return it or replace it, there is little doubt about that, they aren't going to "rob" you or send it back broken, just taking longer than it should , I sent an email onto the rep I deal with with a link to this thread expressing my concern since between me and my brother we own almost $15K in emo gear...

Some times we forget this is only stereo equipment, its not a life and death issue, your pipes aren't going to freeze because your heat isn't on, your grandfather isn't going to have a stroke from the heat since your air conditioner is out, food isn't going to spoil since the refrigerator is broken, your not going to lose your job because your car can't move, your not able to get around because your prosthetic legs ankle joint is seized up, ect... this is just an av receiver not your sons iron lung machine, mechanical and electronic devices break, its the nature of the beast, and some times a phone call or two can fall through the cracks, I understand this since I am in business and go through it once and a while myself, the op did the rite thing by expressing his feelings here and warning others on how to take care of the situation, hopefully this saves someone else the aggravation that he is going through, and hopefully emo gets off of their *** and gets him his unit back before he has to watch Seed in 2.0 again {Seed is like the canadian Friends}..
There is no question that my approach, in hindsight, could have been more effective. What you outline is probably very good practice and something I will do in the future. That includes, demanding to speak with someone in charge a lot sooner. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and was actually too patient now that I look back on it. That does not excuse their poor customer service, but like what was said, we will all likely learn from this.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
There is no question that my approach, in hindsight, could have been more effective. What you outline is probably very good practice and something I will do in the future. That includes, demanding to speak with someone in charge a lot sooner. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and was actually too patient now that I look back on it. That does not excuse their poor customer service, but like what was said, we will all likely learn from this.
Exactly, now others will know, they can't be "lax" with them, demand service while staying considerate and civil. Stuff happens, we are all human, and even though your experience sounds like something that would irritate me if I were in your shoes, sometimes you just have to think "it could be worse" look at what others went through with av123 and I have heard horror stories about Sony, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Tekton, ect... Customer Service practices that shouldn't be tolerated, from companies that have no problem receiving our currency but when we need after sales support are asleep at the wheel...

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I agree with everybody. It's the company's fault and responsibility. Can speculate on whether any particular approach or action by the OP would work best, but it is just guessing. I can tell you that most large companies DO monitor the forums. Everyone reading this one cannot help but absorb a certain amount of doubt relative to Emotiva Customer Service, and that's not good for Emotiva. We all hope to read here soon that they stepped up to fix this problem... especially before our next purchase or recommendation. (Emotiva, are you listening?)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis