Emotiva Customer Service is Horrible!

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
How much of a hurry is the issue? Wouldn't the issue be the information that a Emotiva Rep(Janna) freely gave a customer which turned out to be wrong? Then when the customer contacts them to clarify(after his cc had already been charged, mind you) he's told it is what it is. In my mind, it's not a big deal either way, companies make errors, customers try to get it in under the wire. It didn't work out, I don't understand the sarcastic responses.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
How much of a hurry is the issue? Wouldn't the issue be the information that a Emotiva Rep(Janna) freely gave a customer which turned out to be wrong? Then when the customer contacts them to clarify(after his cc had already been charged, mind you) he's told it is what it is. In my mind, it's not a big deal either way, companies make errors, customers try to get it in under the wire. It didn't work out, I don't understand the sarcastic responses.
How do you know this information was given freely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't understand the sarcastic responses.
When someone drops into this forum and has a single solitary post pissing and moaning about a manufacturer ... I don't know, they're fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
When someone drops into this forum and has a single solitary post pissing and moaning about a manufacturer ... I don't know, they're fair game as far as I'm concerned.
Bully. :mad: :D

But, as someone who has been told one thing by Emo, only to have something else (not better) happen...multiple times...I give the person the benefit of the doubt.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

But, as someone who has been told one thing by Emo, only to have something else (not better) happen...multiple times...I give the person the benefit of the doubt.
Your case stands apart. After posting tens of thousands of times you can cry and I'll pass you the tissues. When your first and only post is "I've been f^%&ed and I didn't like it" I don't care because I lack the capacity to give a sh!t.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Your case stands apart. After posting tens of thousands of times you can cry and I'll pass you the tissues. When your first post is "I've been f^%&ed and I didn't like it" I don't care because I lack the capacity to give a sh!t.
Let that be a lesson to all of you - if you're going to join in on Twister...post a lot first. ;) :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I agree completely.
First off, we're only getting one side of the story. Edit: I re-read his post. He ordered Dec. 23rd...... and expected what??:rolleyes::confused:
Also I know it wasn't only Emotiva that had shipping problems.

This year's shipping volume exceeded the capacity of the network. That, combined with a shorter than usual shopping season, and storms sweeping across the country, didn't help matters.
I can't speak for everywhere, however, they were doing Sunday (Dec 22) deliveries in my area.
Christmas Shipping Surge Snarls UPS And FedEx Deliveries « CBS New York

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly, Rick hit the nail on this one, as others said you order the day before xmass eve with record breaking shipping issue going on...

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
How much of a hurry is the issue? Wouldn't the issue be the information that a Emotiva Rep(Janna) freely gave a customer which turned out to be wrong? . In my mind, it's not a big deal either way, companies make errors, customers try to get it in under the wire. It didn't work out, I don't understand the sarcastic responses.
If you read your own post to your self and then think for a moment about that one glaring sentence- " Then when the customer contacts them to clarify(after his cc had already been charged, mind you) he's told it is what it is"- Really? it is what it is ! I don't think so, no way did she say that, besides it would not be the case because a simple cancellation of said order like the op says he/she did and then it "is what it really is" done , nada , nathan , nothing, over, not locked in to "it is what it is". Now it is the day after Christmas and the unit could be sitting in the living room with drool building up and fumbling for cables thinking dayum this is going to be awesome , just in time for the weekend !

Going back to the sentence I could hear the CS rep explaining that due to circumstances out of our control there will be a delay of a day or two but just not the way the op laid it out and I am not being sarcastic, just not buying it.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic

And this is what...

Edit: On second thought, never mind, I'm only repeating myself. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
And this is what...

Edit: On second thought, never mind, I'm only repeating myself. Merry Christmas!
I like to take problems back to their root cause - How disconnected does the OP have to be, to think anything would be shipped in a timely manner a day or two before Christmas?

Adam's situation is unfortunate, and a bit different, since there were more factors at play this time.
(I hope I don't sound like I'm minimizing Adam's predicament. I'm not)

But I'll stick with the only point you seem to be hanging your hat on.
IMO the woman from Emotiva heard that there would be Christmas deliveries, that didn't come to fruition. At the time she believed it to be true?
I know a few vendors got unofficial word that UPS & Fedx (possibly) would be making those deliveries.

A quote from yet another article, UPS backlog means missing Christmas gifts; Amazon responds - CNN.com
(Spokeswoman Natalie Black told CNN) "The company considered Christmas Day deliveries as an emergency measure, but after much thought and consideration, decided not to ask drivers to work on the holiday. They've pulled in extra hours. We did a lot of Sunday deliveries, which we normally don't do. It wasn't a decision that we came to lightly."

Again, not to take away from anyone's negative experiences with Emotive.
However, I had two warranty situations that were handled perfectly. One was shipping damage that wasn't even their fault.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I like to take problems back to their root cause...
And we can also take people's responses back to their root cause - our past experiences. Some people have good experiences with Emo, some don't. Some welcome new members, some don't. So on, and so forth.

Fact is, none of us know what was said on either phone call. Maybe things were promised, maybe they weren't. Maybe the CS rep was rude, maybe she wasn't. We can speculate all day long, but unless they have the conversations on tape and release them, we will never know the truth.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
While I agree much of it is speculation, the holiday shipping volume nightmare isn't.
My wife has clients/vendors that also heard the talk/rumors of Christmas deliveries.
I don't think the OP would've had the same bad shipping experience in say, Oct or July.

If I may speculate further, I do think you were done wrong by Emotive.
However, I think the OP is using them as a scapegoat, while denying his culpability, procrastination and false expectations when ordering a day or two before Christmas. :)

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Regardless of this particular situation.

Most adults recognize two things:

1) Ordering anything on the 23'rd of December is an iffy propostion for Christmas delivery

2) It does very little good the beat the tar out of CS representatives, even when they deserve it (and I am not saying she did).

- Rich

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Here's a different way of looking at it, in an attempt to not repeat myself!

Oppo. I bought the '95 a few months after it came out, and was very impressed. But I was using the volume function on it and it only had 25 steps on the volume control I believe. I was unsatisfied with this, and read that others were too. Oppo's rep is such that they listen to customer's feedback, and in short order the next firmware that came out gave the Oppo 100 steps(going off memory since I don't use the volume any more). Now that is customer service.

Emotiva had a similar opportunity to serve and impress the customer when their XDA-1 DAC with digital volume came out. I was among the first to receive, and the volume was almost unusable for a pre-amp, which is one of the features Emotiva proudly proclaimed for the XDA-1. On their forum, most who used the volume feature found it lacking, it would step off of zero and quickly ramp up so very loud levels were achieved at 7-10 out of 80 steps, and you couldn't use more than 15-20 steps based on the level of the recording. So very large increases were achieved with one single step louder. Much worse than the Oppo volume for instance.

It was surprising that this made it past quality control it was that unusable. Emotiva's solution was to admit no flaw in the firmware. They offered to let owners send in the DAC at owner's cost if they wanted an adjustment to the volume, which would at least be done for free, as the return shipping. So you'd be without the unit for 2-3 weeks, out $20+ bucks for shipping all to get what you were promised in the first place, a DAC that could be used as a digital pre-amp. They also initially said it could do 24/192 over USB and had lossless volume, both of which turned out to be flat wrong, and they admitted the lossless volume only at the end when the XDA-1 was discontinued and they were clearing them out!

Yesterday I ordered a Oppo 103 on their store page. Through a miscue of my own, I was on their records as trying to make 2 separate purchases of the unit, the first attempt having no payment and the second having the wrong email address. I had no idea what had gone wrong and their office then closed for the weekend. I sorted through my situation and sent a detailed email this morning, Saturday, when they are closed as well. Within a couple of hours someone in their office had sorted out the situation, corrected my email address, and shipped the unit, emailing me with a detailed explanation of what I had done wrong.

Now that is service. Compare it to the earlier poster who tried to have a DAC shipped on christmas eve. Let's be honest, Emotiva has a ways to go.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Now that is service. Compare it to the earlier poster who tried to have a DAC shipped on christmas eve. Let's be honest, Emotiva has a ways to go.
Emo may have a ways to go before they're at the same level as Oppo.
The earlier poster also has a ways to go before he's on the same level as ... Bryce.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis