Editorial: How to Succeed in Business the Microsoft Way

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Tsunamii said:
MS is the "cult" of the internet and Business because it works.
More like they don't have a choice. Did you ever even try buying a Dell PC without Windows on it? If you did, you'll see what i mean. Microsoft is the only company that i know of that over half of their customers would prefer not to use their products.

Tsunamii said:
Like your new Lexus it needs work and upkeep to keep it running smooth. You don’t throw a new exhaust kit on your new Lexus see it cause an engine problem and blame Lexus for your decision???
A more applicable analogy is blaming Lexus because your alarm system doesn't go off when someone intrudes into your car. That i would definitely blame Lexus for :)
Tsunamii said:
Yes, Linux etc works but it takes more setup and a more refined resource to do it. When it breaks you also need a higher level resource on staff to deal with it. So how exactly is that better?
It's better because it doesn't break as often. You don't have to reboot it every day. You don't have to run SpySweeper every day. You don't have to have antivirus "scan on access" enabled all the time. It's well built enough that if an administrator sets it up properly, the user CAN'T screw it up.

Most of the cost of a machine is not initial setup, but ongoing support. It costs way more to support a Windows desktop than a Linux desktop.
Tsunamii said:
I love people outside of IT that throw out MS sucks blankets, if that were true it would be on 90% of the worlds machines and its not.
You say this as if IT has a choice of what users run on the desktop. Users get what they want. However, IT controls the backend systems, and if you look there, you'll see less than half of the machines are Windows. Certainly nothing critical is on windows. Ask Citigroup, Chase, Bank of America how many critical servers they have that run on windows and they'll laugh in your face.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis