Editorial: How to Succeed in Business the Microsoft Way

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, I have purchased the OEM version. The only things you do not get with the OEM version is the fancy box or an owners manual. You only get three free tech support calls to MS. Since I never needed any of those, I'd rather save $200. :)

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Step #1. Collect underpants
Step #2.
Step #3. Profit..

:D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I always buy the OEM version of software because I don't need a giant box or worthless 'manual' and Yes all you have to do is buy ANY type of hardware. If you buy only XP from Newegg.com they will send you a Y power splitter and charge you $2. They often credit the $2 back to you too.

You can also buy OEM versions of hardware too. You can buy a 120 GB OEM hard drive for $80. If you buy the retail version it comes in a large box and costs more like $120. Who wants to pay $40 for a box? [prices as I remember them when I bought - probably cheaper now.]

Graphics cards are the worst thing to buy retail. Again you get a giant box with a 6" card in it. You do get a CD with the drivers on it but they are usually way out of date and you need to get the updated version from the web anyway.

J

JAD2

I listen with my mouth open...
Tom Andry said:
I find it interesting that you seem to think that people with knowledge of audio should be knowledgeable in all other areas as well (such as computers). So, by that logic, you'd trust Gene or Clint or myself to fix your car? Fill a cavity? Perform open heart surgery?

As great as you seem to think Macs are (and perhaps they are) I simply can't do all the work I need to do on a Mac. Of course, if you'd like to donate one and pay for some advertising, I'd be happy to give it a bad review just to prove you wrong. :rolleyes:
I find it more interesting that someone whom devotes the time and energy to really understand the workings of audio/video, then give it reviews that are a learning curve to others wouldnt do the same research before using Micro Crap.
Mac, which I dont own, dont care for it personally can do everything you need it to do.
Then there are many forms of Linux based OS's that will also allow you to do anything you wished. Hell I got a program that allows me to run windows based software, but securely so on my Linux based OS.

Just like Bose, Micro Crap sells crap at high dollar values.
And I wonder!!! Does the server of this site run on Micro Crap???

And you still cannot prove me wrong on the advertising bit. I stirred a few burrs here and on another forum of this type and both times and it was along the advertising line, a admin came in and posted back totally against what you'd like to prove me wrong, proving me right!!!

J

JAD2

Ahhh, did I offend you into changing the title under my name!!!!!!! Whaaaaa!!!

R

rtcp

Junior Audioholic
majorloser said:
Actually, YES, you can buy the OEM version of XP if you buy any other piece of hardware.
Well, it's important to note that it has to be a non-peripheral hardware component. Also, I was told that the OEM versions are more prone to having pirated product keys because the keys are visible through the packaging.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
JAD2 said:
I find it more interesting that someone whom devotes the time and energy to really understand the workings of audio/video, then give it reviews that are a learning curve to others wouldnt do the same research before using Micro Crap.
You sound like the typical naysayer that really doesn't know what he is talking about. You don't care for Windows, the Mac, or Linux. Exactly what do you care for? You don't care for audio/video technology either as every single post you deride everything as a 'gimmick'.

Microsoft is a popular target because Windows runs on 90% of the world's computers. It's the 'cult of the internet' again - hopping on the bandwagon to follow what you think is the popular opinion. It's the same as how everyone recommends Exact Audio Copy as the greatest thing since sliced bread when they don't have the slightest clue what it does and why it is not even necessary.

It was an EDITORIAL and mostly tongue in cheek but you can't see the forest for the trees.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
MDS said:
You sound like the typical naysayer that really doesn't know what he is talking about. You don't care for Windows, the Mac, or Linux. Exactly what do you care for? You don't care for audio/video technology either as every single post you deride everything as a 'gimmick'.

Microsoft is a popular target because Windows runs on 90% of the world's computers. It's the 'cult of the internet' again - hopping on the bandwagon to follow what you think is the popular opinion. It's the same as how everyone recommends Exact Audio Copy as the greatest thing since sliced bread when they don't have the slightest clue what it does and why it is not even necessary.

It was an EDITORIAL and mostly tongue in cheek but you can't see the forest for the trees.
Make him code his own OS.

N

Nuglets

Full Audioholic
Hi Ho said:
Yes, I have purchased the OEM version. The only things you do not get with the OEM version is the fancy box or an owners manual. You only get three free tech support calls to MS. Since I never needed any of those, I'd rather save $200. :)
Good to know, I need it for FSX unfortunately, I can't get a workaround like I did with Age of Empires 3. The price is still to high for a desktop OS that I only need for one game made by Microsoft that requires it for no particular reason except a line of code checking the OS version in the setup.exe, but thank you for the information regardless.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
IE7 Update

I just received an Email from a fellow Audioholic who had this to say:

I downloaded and installed the updated version of IE on my Windows XP SP2 Media Center equipped system. It rendered the machine virtually unresponsive. I wasted an hour uninstalling and re-installing twice before I noticed the Microsoft support#. I called it and they confirmed that IE7 is not compatible with the Media Center operating system. The support guy agreed that that was pretty ridiculous and apologized.
I've also modified the editorial to reflect this new piece of information.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
I am pushing over 1000 client intalls of IE7. No big problems yet. Typical stuff, like the machine was already hosed and blew up. Now a user jumps on the web and says IE7 blew up my machine. Well no it was not ie7, it was a machine that was already having issues and mostly likely had genuine MS files replaced and it went boom.
Hey MS has their share of critics but their products for the scale and interoperability actualy work good. If you have someone who knows what they are doing set it up.
What version dosent work with Media Center? Was beta installed previously? I think its dangerous to throw out this blanket IE7 dosnt work with MC because one guy cant get it to work. Do a google search for MC IE7 and I dont see the issues this guy has on a large scale.
People love to complain and say Suse, or what ever flavor of open source os is hot this year, will replace microsoft on the corop desktop level. Its a Dream folks and wont happen. Yes its free but no support = staff on the payroll. So how exactaly did you save money? Factor this after you go though what current infrusturcter setup cost. You will see that this will never happen.
Its a windows world.... get used to it...

Didnt have time for spell check.. I have an ie7 install crashing... LOL... kidding about the crash part anyway..

J

JAD2

MDS said:

Why dont you try reading again. I hate Micro Crap, its a given, Mac I dont care for but would prefer it over Micro Crap if that was my only option. I do run Linux, never said anything bad about it.

I never said I didnt care for audio/video technology, NEVER. But alot of it is gimmick once a certain set of criteria is met, per each type of technology. But you got people just running around with false ideals in their heads they think **** actually does ****. Spending more really means in this world of audio/video, your stupid enough to spend it, weak minded is how I designate it.

Windows maybe on 90% of systems, but isnt the reason solely on that, that its targeted. Its just so simple to get into, steal information and run away non detected for criminal intent. Then there are many whom feel, for many good reasons I'll add, that the corporate giant is ripping people off left and right for something that shouldn't cost what it does and target it to show how inferior it is, along with other reasons they may have. What it did was bring the computer into every house so stupid people could even own one and run it. Now with the market so heavily dominated by Micro Crap, everybody has to bow to what they do. Without going into great length's of detail, what they are and what they are doing is against the Monopoly Laws this country made years ago.

I'll say it again, you guys push people toward products, away from other ones and I'll bring in Bose. But at least with Bose systems, speakers etc, while you think its junk per sound reasons, overpriced etc, at least their **** works and lasts. Micro Crap, well thats why they have Geeks Squads, it works so well!!! Its as much a Gimmick now today (plus a monopoly) that power cords, high dollar audio/video equipment, SPECIAL cabling and so on!!! You want to run a $300+ OS, then buy all the add on programs that can run 1000's more, be my guest. I think I got $50 into everything on this computer and far as programs, can do anything you's do, but wont crash and burn with it and need me a geek!!

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
"Microsoft is a popular target because Windows runs on 90% of the world's computers. It's the 'cult of the internet' again "

That thought process is inherently flawed. It’s like listening to CNN, crap in crap out.

MS is the "cult" of the internet and Business because it works. Like your new Lexus it needs work and upkeep to keep it running smooth. You don’t throw a new exhaust kit on your new Lexus see it cause an engine problem and blame Lexus for your decision??? Yes, Linux etc works but it takes more setup and a more refined resource to do it. When it breaks you also need a higher level resource on staff to deal with it. So how exactly is that better? I love people outside of IT that throw out MS sucks blankets, if that were true it would be on 90% of the worlds machines and its not.

Saying something is popular because 90% of the world is running it, is like saying its dark out at night because the sun is on the other side of the world. That’s dangerous thinking there, must be management.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Tsunamii said:
I love people outside of IT that throw out MS sucks blankets, if that were true it would be on 90% of the worlds machines and its not.
Your sentence makes no sense. That statement says if Windows really sucks then it would be on 90% of the world's computers and it is not. ?????

Windows does not suck and does run on 90% of computers (all versions - not just XP). When I say it is the 'cult of the internet' it is exactly because of your statement in bold - people who know little to nothing about software or hardware jump on the bandwagon of 'ms sucks' because they think it is the popular opinion and want to be part of the 'in crowd'. JAD2 is a good example of that attitude - making inflammatory statements with no facts.

Windows is an 'easy' target precisely because it is running on so many machines. If Linux were to increase its installed base by several orders of magnitude it would become a target as well. Just because it is Unix does not make it invulnerable. Hackers have been exploiting sendmail for over 25 years (just one example). ALL software has flaws as it gets more complex every day.

By the way, I am NOT one of the 'non IT people'.

elmirafudd

Audiophyte
Why Windows sucks

Let me count the ways.

1. Tightly coupled UI, OS and Browser (that is why IE 7 won't run on Windows 2000, etc, haven't these guys heard of MVC?).
2. Cut and paste programming, no thought to architecture and reuse of code. This is why every time MS publishes a security hole announcement the race is on with the hackers and virus writers. If the hole exists in one place you can be sure it exists in the inordinate amount of me too code.
3. Bloatware, ever wondered why the thing is such a dog and needs ever more powerful machines, see #2 for the answer.
4. Poor protection against unauthorized software installations. Try that on Unix, Linux, Mac OS (Unix again).
5. Multi-user, what is that? why would I need that? Try Linux or Unix for that.
6. Why would my applications need to be OS independent? Firefox runs on Linux, Unix, MacOs, all Windows versions from XP on.
7. File locking, haven't these guys heard of pointers? Do they consider their version to be a feature?

Microsoft's one big win:

MS sucks big time in many ways but they clobbered all the desktop competition and stomp on those who try something else, Apple has its groupies but will always be small.

Linux still sucks for anyone who isn't a geek (try installing software) but it is going to overtake MS at some point as its packaging and patching/updating improves.

BTW Firefox has an open plugin architecture, you can download and install myriad plugins for it that deal with all sorts of real world applications such as RSS feeds, debugging, email, games, search engines etc. etc.

elmirafudd

Audiophyte
The registry

Almost forgot one of the biggest pains. The registry, what a mess, tries to be an LDAP, junk accumulates here, software uninstalls never really clean up properly here.

Have fun!

R

rtcp

Junior Audioholic
elmirafudd said:
Almost forgot one of the biggest pains. The registry, what a mess, tries to be an LDAP, junk accumulates here, software uninstalls never really clean up properly here.

Have fun!
I was going to say: You left out Windows Rot.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis