DVD Audio 5.1 vs Digital DTS 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
I understand that. What I don't understand is why you even bothered to set them?:confused::confused::confused:

What puzzles me even more, is why you haven't bothered to change it.

If I was asking about why my system didn't perform, and someone made a logical point about an incorrect setting, I would be on my way to correct it.
Thanks for the input.. but that's not it. Im NOT using the analog outs, and im outputting RAW it woulnd't matter WHAT I made those settings as they are all bypassed. I'm not complaining about the output or settings... im complaining about how ONE particular disk has been engineered. Read the whole thread.

Last edited:
W

Waveform

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the input.. but that's not it. Im NOT using the analog outs, and im outputting RAW it woulnd't matter WHAT I made those settings as they are all bypassed. I'm not complaining about the output or settings... im complaining about how ONE particular disk has been engineered. Read the whole thread.
Is it possible that the "RAW' setting only refers to the DD/DTS bitstream?

You are probably correct that the HDMI audio is not bass managed; however it would be interesting to see whether you hear any difference if you set it up as recommended in the 980 manual for HDMI audio out (page 22) with speakers set to "large" and subwoofer "On".

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Even if that WERE the case, which it is not, wouldn't it affect every single other disk I play from the oppo? right... I have a massive DVD collection, a massive CD collection, and a small collection of SACD and DVD-A. The only thing that doesn't sound right out of ALL the disks, is the DVD-audio mix, on ONE disk. I don't want to be mean.. but cmon.

W

Waveform

Audioholic Intern
On a related note, from the Clint's review of the 983:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/dvd-players/oppo-dv-983h/setup-use

it appears that BM is applied to HDMI, the reason being:

" As for applying bass management to multi-channel PCM output over HDMI, the reason is that some older models of HDMI A/V receivers cannot do any processing for multi-channel audio from their HDMI input."

I don't know whether this applies to the 980, but it might.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
DVD-Audio and SACD are suppose to be the best - 96 kHz to 192 kHz/24 Bit.
DTS is suppose to be inferior to both of them, and I think it's 44 kHz/16 Bit.
Not trying to be a smarty pants, but DTS can go to 96kHz/24 bit. It's usually 48kHz/24bit in movies. Old school two channel CD is 44.1 kHz/16 bit. I know where you were going with that. Yes, DVD-A should be better than DTS and the same as DTS-HD MA ;) if the source material is equal.

On a related note, from the Clint's review of the 983:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/dvd-players/oppo-dv-983h/setup-use

it appears that BM is applied to HDMI, the reason being:

" As for applying bass management to multi-channel PCM output over HDMI, the reason is that some older models of HDMI A/V receivers cannot do any processing for multi-channel audio from their HDMI input."

I don't know whether this applies to the 980, but it might.
That's just ridiculous. I hope there's some kind of way to override that.

My question to those of you using multichannel analogs is what do you do for distance settings and room correction? Does the player handle that, too?

W

Waveform

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I would presume that setting the speakers to large and subwoofer to yes overrides that (at least in my 981).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nope... There are 3 bonus tracks on each of my disks, none of them are called "shes moved on"? Is it a HIDDEN bonus track somehwere? If so, how do i find it :)
In the main menu on Deadwing, I believe you just keep hitting up (might be left or right) until you see it. It is an older track, but a fav of mine. Deadwing was #2 on the Stereophile's best of 2005, so there is no doubt it is an excellent mix. In Absentia is an older album and likely not as good of a master, but I still think it is a great disc.

If you want some others to check out, Linkin Park's Reanimation has the most bass I've heard, Beck's Sea Change sounds excellent also. Blue Man Group's The Complex, and of course the rest of the PT DVD-As.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not trying to be a smarty pants, but DTS can go to 96kHz/24 bit. It's usually 48kHz/24bit in movies. Old school two channel CD is 44.1 kHz/16 bit. I know where you were going with that. Yes, DVD-A should be better than DTS and the same as DTS-HD MA ;) if the source material is equal.

My question to those of you using multichannel analogs is what do you do for distance settings and room correction? Does the player handle that, too?
Mr. Smarty Pants.:p:D

Okay. Fine. DTS goes up to 96 kHz/24 Bit whereas DVD-Audio/SACD go up to 196 kHz/24 Bit.:p

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
DIP $#!t. Plain and simple.:rolleyes:

Cpt. America should be a dead giveaway.

Can't wait to see how you start another thread about how you system sucks, and turn it around to how the drummers equipment doesn't sound right. You are talking about one of the best drummers in the world.

Oh, let me correct myself, it's the mix. That is why your system sucks.:rolleyes:

Dead thread.

Last edited:
Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
DIP $#!t. Plain and simple.:rolleyes: Cpt. America should be a dead giveaway.
What does your racist/prejudice attitude have to do with audio?

Can't wait to see how you start another thread about how you system sucks, and turn it around to how the drummers equipment doesn't sound right.
My system sounds fantastic thank you... Its obvious you are confused between a crappy sounding system, and a crappy sounding mix, and are angry because I found your suggestions to be incorrect or focusing on the wrong things. Maybe you need to get over yourself?

You are talking about one of the best drummers in the world.
Please point me to where we were discussing Gavin Harrison? Are you sure you are replying to the correct thread here? And just for reference, I think Gavin is in the top 10 best drummers in the world.

Oh, let me correct myself, it's the mix. That is why your system sucks.
Honestly I am having a hard time following your half of the conversation. Is it because English is your second language? Or are you just a mean angry person? You don't HAVE to participate here... mmmk?

Anyway, I am hoping the moderators can help you figure out your need for mindless flaming.

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Please point me to where we were discussing Gavin Harrison? Are you sure you are replying to the correct thread here? And just for reference, I think Gavin is in the top 10 best drummers in the world.
Here you go.
The drums are flimsey and everything seems to mix together...

Honestly I am having a hard time following your half of the conversation. Is it because English is your second language? Or are you just a mean angry person? You don't HAVE to participate here... mmmk?
Looks as though English may be your second language. flimsy

I get pretty aggravated when someone starts a thread looking for answers, and won't correct an issue that is as clear as this one.

Anyway, I am hoping the moderators can help you figure out your need for mindless flaming.
Shocked they haven't found it already. I am certain ALL OF THEM know NOT to use b/m on two separate pieces of equipment at the same time.

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Here you go.
I was talking about the MIX... not his playing.

I get pretty aggravated when someone starts a thread looking for answers, and won't correct an issue that is as clear as this one.
I DID make the changes... I can set the speakers to large, to small, on, off... guess what. It doesn't change how the mix sounds. AMAZING!

not to use b/m on two separate pieces of equipment at the same time.
I wasn't. The B/M is only for analog outs, and PCM, and I was using neither. Even set to "large", everythign sounds identical. Why? Because I am outputting RAW over HDMI. Now if you don't mind, id appreciate you staying out of my threads.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I was talking about the MIX... not his playing.
Yes, and I corrected myself in the same post.:rolleyes:

I DID make the changes... I can set the speakers to large, to small, on, off... guess what. It doesn't change how the mix sounds. AMAZING!
Good. It needed to be set correctly. You had no reason to set it in the first place, as you clearly pointed-out yourself.

The B/M is only for analog outs, and PCM, and I was using neither. Even set to "large", everythign sounds identical. Why? Because I am outputting RAW over HDMI.

As I stated, you point-out what the b/m is for, and yet you set it anyway.:rolleyes:

Now if you don't mind, id appreciate you staying out of my threads.
This is a public forum. Use your private messaging if you want a private conversation. If I find you posting something stupid, I will reply.

Add me to your ignore list.

Oh, and, you're welcome. There is nothing I hate to see worse than an uninformed member having their equipment improperly set. Glad you finally decided to set it correctly.:p

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Good. It needed to be set correctly. You had no reason to set it in the first place, as you clearly pointed-out yourself.

As I stated, you point-out what the b/m is for, and yet you set it anyway.:rolleyes:
I never set it... it was like that when I got it (used). But I knew anyway, that it wouldn't matter one way or another how I set it, because I wasn't using the analog outputs. Why you are unable to grasp this concept is beyond me.

Add me to your ignore list.
Done

Oh, and, you're welcome.
For what? You haven't contributed anything but a pain in my ***.

There is nothing I hate to see worse than an uninformed member having their equipment improperly set. Glad you finally decided to set it correctly.:p
And there is nothing I "hate to see worse" than an elitist ******* who makes rediculous recommendations without even understanding the basic topic/problem currently being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis