Denon, Yamaha or Marantz

N

NGD62

Audiophyte
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V773 amp, a Bluesound node 2i, B&W 603's mains with the HTM6 centre, REL Quake sub with a pair of Eltax dipole surrounds, my TV is a LG Oled 55B7. My chosen streaming platform is Tidal. Streaming through blueos is very important to me and is the main area I want to improve on by upgrading my amp. I am not interested in gaming and films are secondary to music all day long (although I do like to get the max out of any amp, I like it nice and loud with tight base).
I am really torn between the Denon x4500 and the Denon x3700, I am also considering the Yamaha RXA-2080.....money wise, £700 - £1000 is around my uk budget.....I'm not that techi but I do like a loud, tight and controlled sound so I guess the best DAC within the amp would be important?
Please help as this is really doing my head in, I've been looking to upgrade my av amp for a year now and I need to sort this now!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone of those will do, You seem to know a bit already just research between the ones you picked and go with the one You feel is best for your home.

N

NGD62

Audiophyte
Anyone of those will do, You seem to know a bit already just research between the ones you picked and go with the one You feel is best for your home.
Thanks Gmoney, but that's the problem, I'm looking for some good old technical bits to help me decide

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you want the latest tech, the Denon x3700 will have it while the Denon x4500 and Yamaha A2080 are slightly older models. The benefits will be noticed if using it for the latest surround sound formats and the ability to pass 4K video. You may not hear significant improvement if any while streaming two channel music from the Node 2i. Tidal offers Dolby Atmos tracks if you care to try them and the three receivers you mentioned are Atmos capable. I do not know if the Node 2i is able to stream Atmos or just two channel MQA. Perhaps you know if it can or cannot do so.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sound quality-wise I think what you're planning is going to be more of a lateral move than an upgrade. When it comes to amplification and processing the only real reason to upgrade would be to stay current with needed features or better DSP room correction. Nowadays pretty much all of the good manufacturers (Denon, Yamaha and Marantz are the usual "big 3") produce good, clean sounding amplification. Push come to shove the differences in specs between most all fall into the inaudible range so you can't really hear the difference anyway.

In your shoes I'd be looking speakers and sub(s). I think you can do much, much better than that REL for starters. I'd say get out and try to demo some different speakers too but that's near impossible nowadays...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Wait, the Node 2i does not have HDMI output. Powernode 2i has it. So, no atmos on Node 2i for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis