Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Marantz sr 7010

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
C

Chili

Audiophyte
When did you get your AV7702?
What type of hold times do you experience when you call in?
Do you usually call at a particular time of the day or day of the week?
Purchased the AV7702 aprox 2 years ago- Really pleased. Using Parasound Halo A21 and old Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver as amplifiers.

If I choose to hold, maybe 5 minutes. I almost always use the option of them returning my call.
I call whenever I need assistance - no particular time of the day.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Purchased the AV7702 aprox 2 years ago- Really pleased. Using Parasound Halo A21 and old Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver as amplifiers.

If I choose to hold, maybe 5 minutes. I almost always use the option of them returning my call.
I call whenever I need assistance - no particular time of the day.
I was looking for any pattern to explain the differences in your experiences.
I'm sure Diesel57 is not making up his difficulties, but as best I can tell his calls were around the same time in January of this year.
Based on your experience, we can hope that D&M went through a period where they were understaffed (or maybe doing training that took CS reps out of circulation) and their CS is normally better than what he experienced.
Thanks for your contribution!

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
As Kew stated it was in the month of January and I totally understand when being understaffed delays a response time, that's the point I was making, how ever responding to my concerns or issues along with providing information and instructions has always been great with both...Cheers

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
What did you mean by that? To be clear the X4300H replaced the X4200W, and the X6300H replaced the X6200W. The SR7010 fits somewhere between the X4200W and the X6200W, so the SR7011 would likely sit somewhere between the X4300H and the X6300H. D&M seemed to have make an effort to make sure we can no longer compare exactly apple to apple like we used to be able to do a few years ago.
I looked at these when I did my AVR bakeoff earlier in the year. I ended up choosing the x4200W instead of the Marantz. What I haven't seen any discussion on that's probably the culprit in the price difference is the difference in the "brands". If I buy a GMC truck I will pay more money than if I buy the exact same truck as a Chevy. The guts of the truck are the same: parts, design, yadda yadda yadda. Yet each brand has its fans and folks who will swear one is better than the other.

Marantz is a long time brand that's been able to charge a premium and make a nice living at it.
Denon is a long time brand that also charges a premium, just not as much as Marantz.
That's why I think as a single company it works: they are similar but just a shade different.

The difference for me was the port hole on the Marantz instead of a nice full panel display on the Denon.
@PENG is correct (in my opinion) , there's no difference to the way they sound. There are some subtle feature differences, like the port hole. I like the display on the Denon better and that's something I actually see and use. If I had my drothers, I drother have a Marantz because I've had Marantz envy since the 1970's. But, when push came to shove, I am not paying that extra $700 to look at a port hole.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry, but I really disagree that Marantz customer support is a challenge. In fact tech support from Marantz is excellent - it is one of many reasons I hesitate to try other manufacturers.

I call them about once a month concerning my AV7702. They are not rude nor condescending.They consistently answer my questions and make sure that I "get it" before hanging up.
*If they are really busy they recommend you to leave a phone number -they consistently call back within 2 hours. I find Paul to be the guy who really digs in to resolve my issues.

The only time I have had a problem is during the holidays when they hire new people. During that time of the year I request specific people return my call.

Hope this info is helpful.
I started a service request with Marantz months ago. Still no solution. I have to contact them every couple of weeks to make sure they didn't forget me. No solutions have been offered. Pretty much ready to ask for my money back.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I started a service request with Marantz months ago. Still no solution. I have to contact them every couple of weeks to make sure they didn't forget me. No solutions have been offered. Pretty much ready to ask for my money back.
is this a serious offense or a minor yet irritating problem? With your stature in the audio community, I am suprised they didn't ship you a new unit when you first called them. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That for the crappy Audyssey app? I didn't even keep it installed for 10 min. Not sure how you were able to be so patient. Random disconnects in the middle of calibration were enough to test mine. Especially for a $20 app.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
That's unexcusable and ridiculous Pogre for Marantz to not address the issue to there product given to the reputation of producing, marketing along with the quality of there product and surely you've not allowed them to use a excuse to say this issue is one that felled through the cracks...I agree with Bucknekked...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, but I really disagree that Marantz customer support is a challenge. In fact tech support from Marantz is excellent - it is one of many reasons I hesitate to try other manufacturers.

I call them about once a month concerning my AV7702. They are not rude nor condescending.They consistently answer my questions and make sure that I "get it" before hanging up.
*If they are really busy they recommend you to leave a phone number -they consistently call back within 2 hours. I find Paul to be the guy who really digs in to resolve my issues.

The only time I have had a problem is during the holidays when they hire new people. During that time of the year I request specific people return my call.

Hope this info is helpful.
You call them once a month? Why?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That for the crappy Audyssey app? I didn't even keep it installed for 10 min. Not sure how you were able to be so patient. Random disconnects in the middle of calibration were enough to test mine. Especially for a $20 app.
If enough people do what he has been doing, they will fix it, otherwise they may not. It sucks but that's reality.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Denon X4300 for $799 vs Marantz for $1500 is a no-brainer IMO.

Last edited:
C

Chili

Audiophyte
Audio only became a passion about 3 years ago so it is constantly a learning experience. I personally learn from conversation more effectively than reading those darn manuals.

After moving from AVR's to a processor the learning curved shifted, external amplifiers came into play etc.
The more I play with the equipment the more questions I have- so I write them down. That way I am prepared when I get support on the phone and I can expedite my educational process and the conversation.
By being prepared, I believe that I create a better working relationship with the guys at Marantz and I don't become a pain by calling monthly. In addition I can call and ask to speak with certain guys and they know that I will be on point when they return my phone call.

I think you need to look at tech support as a working partnership. If you show respect to them by being prepared with your questions, they will often be more patient, move at their clients pace, and be more accommodating. Both parties accomplish their goals and feel pleased when they get off the phone.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audio only became a passion about 3 years ago so it is constantly a learning experience. I personally learn from conversation more effectively than reading those darn manuals.

After moving from AVR's to a processor the learning curved shifted, external amplifiers came into play etc.
The more I play with the equipment the more questions I have- so I write them down. That way I am prepared when I get support on the phone and I can expedite my educational process and the conversation.
By being prepared, I believe that I create a better working relationship with the guys at Marantz and I don't become a pain by calling monthly. In addition I can call and ask to speak with certain guys and they know that I will be on point when they return my phone call.

I think you need to look at tech support as a working partnership. If you show respect to them by being prepared with your questions, they will often be more patient, move at their clients pace, and be more accommodating. Both parties accomplish their goals and feel pleased when they get off the phone.
My only needs are when the gear has issues, and the last time I dealt with D&M they were not very helpful and did not follow up as promised. OTOH I find manuals provide most info just fine but I think I have more experience than you as well generally...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's about how long it takes for me to start getting really aggravated waiting for a reply so I email them just to be a pain in the ass. I have an open email with one of their level two tier tech's or whatever it is.

@Bucknekked it's nothing critical. Just really annoying. When I say I'm about to ask for my money back, it's for the editor app.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's about how long it takes for me to start getting really aggravated waiting for a reply so I email them just to be a pain in the ass. I have an open email with one of their level two tier tech's or whatever it is.

@Bucknekked it's nothing critical. Just really annoying. When I say I'm about to ask for my money back, it's for the editor app.
I would really like to use the app, but after following your experience and it failing so quickly for me I wanted to make sure I had tested the app within the return window so I didn't have to demand a refund.

I'm tempted to see if they have some sort of beta testing program. I don't mind helping fix issues, but I can't do that without communication.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would really like to use the app, but after following your experience and it failing so quickly for me I wanted to make sure I had tested the app within the return window so I didn't have to demand a refund.

I'm tempted to see if they have some sort of beta testing program. I don't mind helping fix issues, but I can't do that without communication.
From what I can tell, I'm their beta testing system.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
From what I can tell, I'm their beta testing system.
True. Nothing like being a paid beta tester. Like everyone that is an early adopter of technology. Ask all those guys that bought HD-DVD players how that goes...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis