Denon x3300, klipsch rp280s and rp450center

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
everything sounds great. though with my small room audyssey set the towers to -10 or -11 i think, center also, which is understandable

when listening to youtube music videos i have raised volume to 93.5db on some songs and still not enough volume for me. it wont let me go higher than 93.5, i think the limit is 98.

movies at 80 volume depending on the movie, is pretty much my limit. ill have to try cds and see how loud compared to youtube music.

these kilipsch rp280s are supposedly more sensitive compared to most other speakers, and they are towers which should be easier to drive than bookshelves.

so i have more troubleshooting to do.

i do have the microphone from my denon 1712, i wonder if that would work with the denon x3300.
if so i will give that a try
Without reviewing all your stuff/setup at a guess the levels are being set so low as the front speakers are perhaps more sensitive than your surrounds? What are the surrounds and what are they set at for levels post-Audyssey routine?

Sounds like you're using the absolute instead of relative scale for volume, try changing it over to the relative scale as that is the more common for comparing results here on the forum. http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/136/~/relative-and-absolute-volume-ranges

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
i attached post audyssey settings. i raised the sub from -6 to 0

i thought since its a small room i should be able to get extremely loud audio. and it gets very loud.
but i didnt think i would need to raise volume so high for my liking, in such a small room. about 11x11

i dont think anything is wrong, but still, considering my klipsch towers and center are very sensitive, and in my small room, it makes me wonder why i cant get it to overbearing high volume levels where i need to turn it down.

surrounds are some small emptek e3b minibookshelves, about half the distance to mlp than the sub, towers and center.

i suppose i can raise the towers and center by 6db like i did the sub.

in the end i dont think anything is wrong, just that my room is small why am i having to turn volume up so high. the absolute minimum is 75 for anything im listening to.

im using audyssey flat, eq on, and dyn volume off for everything.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

i thought since its a small room i should be able to get extremely loud audio. and it gets very loud.
but i didnt think i would need to raise volume so high for my liking, in such a small room. about 11x11

i dont think anything is wrong, but still, considering my klipsch towers and center are very sensitive, and in my small room, it makes me wonder why i cant get it to overbearing high volume levels where i need to turn it down.

surrounds are some small emptek e3b minibookshelves, about half the distance to mlp than the sub, towers and center.

in the end i dont think anything is wrong, just that my room is small why am i having to turn volume up so high. the absolute minimum is 75 for anything im listening to.

The Emptek e3b speakers are only 82 dB sensitive, so that explains part of it (altho not sure why they're not set higher than -4 post-Audyssey but perhaps the difference in sensitivity between mains/surrounds is throwing it off....or did you change them?).

I wouldn't recommend arbitrarily raising speaker levels post-Audyssey, especially not by something as drastic as 6dB, perhaps something more in the 1-2 dB range for preference, altho perhaps for the sub a 2-6 boost isn't that uncommon depending on preference and content and use of DynamicEQ/RLO settings.

If you want absolute volume monsters you could just say screw auto setup with balanced levels and delays for my seating position and just raise all levels to max and turn the volume control to max and try and enjoy that....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wait. What is the Speaker Channel Level before and after you installed the Klipsch?

If the Speaker Channel Level is now -12.0, then it won't sound as LOUD.

Consumer Audyssey will set the speakers to 75dB, while the commercial theaters are set to 85dB.

So if loudness is the issue, just increase all the Speaker Channel levels up by + 5dB so the levels are 80dB.
The 75dB is the level of the pink noise used during the setup process, Audyssey uses this level to set up the speakers such that after the setup process, the speakers will produce the 85dB level, that is the reference level, at the main seat mic position, that is, the same level one would experience in THX movie theaters when the volume is set to 0, or 80 if absolute scale is used.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347383-Dynamic-EQ-and-Reference-Level

If you increase the level across the board by 5 dB after setup, then reference level (85dB) is reached when volume is let to -5, or 75 if absolute scale is used.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I agree with HD in this case since Audyssey set all channels to the negative territory, that means in safe territory. You can of course increase all channels by 6 dB, but then you have to remember at volume -6, or 74, you will be at reference level of 85 dB from you main listening position. If you leave it alone, you will get reference level at volume 0, or 80. Increasing the sub level by 6 dB should be fine. For me, I will not increase it for more than 3 dB but I am not not a bass head.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The 75dB is the level of the pink noise used during the setup process, Audyssey uses this level to set up the speakers such that after the setup process, the speakers will produce the 85dB level, that is the reference level, at the main seat mic position, that is, the same level one would experience in THX movie theaters when the volume is set to 0, or 80 if absolute scale is used.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347383-Dynamic-EQ-and-Reference-Level

If you increase the level across the board by 5 dB after setup, then reference level (85dB) is reached when volume is let to -5, or 75 if absolute scale is used.
I did run a manual SPL check last week on my system (LP at 18FT).

I could have sworn I set everything to 80dB. But everything was set to 75dB after all. I must have left it alone when I ran Audyssey after moving to my new house. :)

When I get my new RBH SVT towers next week, I will run Audyssey and leave the SPL alone too.

A lot of guys (falsely) feel that if they have to turn the master volume to a certain number that their speakers are "underpowered".

And when I tell them to increase the SPL so that they don't have to turn up the master volume, they feel better.

IMO, there is absolutely no harm in increasing the Speaker Channel levels if it makes them happy and saves them money by not having to buy another amp. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I did run a manual SPL check last week on my system (LP at 18FT).

I could have sworn I set everything to 80dB. But everything was set to 75dB after all. I must have left it alone when I ran Audyssey after moving to my new house. :)

When I get my new RBH SVT towers next week, I will run Audyssey and leave the SPL alone too.

A lot of guys (falsely) feel that if they have to turn the master volume to a certain number that their speakers are "underpowered".

And when I tell them to increase the SPL so that they don't have to turn up the master volume, they feel better.

IMO, there is absolutely no harm in increasing the Speaker Channel levels if it makes them happy and saves them money by not having to buy another amp. :D
I am not saying there is any harm. I was simply pointing out the fact that after once the Audyssey set up is complete, your system is calibrated to produce the average 85 dB (THX ref level) at the main mic position when the volume is set to 0. So if you change it, you kind of lost the reference but it will be easy to remember and do the math if you change it by +/- 5 so I agree that's not really a big deal either.

If you use the AVR's internally generated test tone, then you will get 75 dB at the main mic position because that's the level the calibration process uses. I kind of like it that way otherwise the test tone will be too loud to bear.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
So quick question since we're talking about Audyssey a lot in here. :) Is it ok for any of your speaker levels to be set to a positive value? When I run it, it always sets one speaker as +2.5, while the rest are slightly negative.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So quick question since we're talking about Audyssey a lot in here. :) Is it ok for any of your speaker levels to be set to a positive value? When I run it, it always sets one speaker as +2.5, while the rest are slightly negative.
+/- are fine. I prefer them to be below above -12 and below +12.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
ive been listeing to a lot of music in direct mode today.

one minor issue, or maybe its a stereo thing or maybe theres wax in my right ear.

on a couple cds, i get a slight higher treble from left speaker. some sounds like cymbals are also strong on left speaker, but audible to a lesser extent from the right speaker. and sound comes slightly from below left of center. this mostly happened listening to cds. i suspect some of the effects are stereo effect.
this happens not so much watching youtube music

i didnt notice this watching bluray movies

i did up left and right and center 5db with the test tone option, also raised them 5db with channel levels

its enough of a difference that its bothering me, but im pretty sure its just how songs are recorded in stereo. but still, the effect is always stronger on the left speaker.

wondering how can i test the tweeters to make sure?
I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but the first thing I would do is swap the L & R speakers, that should determine whether the difference you hear follows the speakers (speaker issue) or stays the same (room issue...or maybe recording or AVR issue)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis