Denon x3300, klipsch rp280s and rp450center

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ive ran audyssey twice but never the full 8 measurements because im waiting on a subwoofer for friday.

so its just front left right and center. both times i ran audyssey i just ran the first 4 measurements. also, i kept the mic at the same exact position, never moving it to the next position.

friday when i get my sub ill rerun audyssey with surrounds, sub, front left right and center. this time ill run audyssey correctly with all 8 positions.

the room is small so audyssey just setting the speakers with lesser volume to compensate im assuming.

speakers sound great in direct mode listening to music
There would be no point in leaving the mic in the same spot; you could do just the first as it's the same information. When you do your next setup start with the first position being where you normally sit, mic at ear height then do the rest of the measurements within a fairly small area around that position. This search brings up a few articles on the subject.

Audyssey sets levels for your speakers based on the distance to your primary listening position and any differences due to speaker sensitivity.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
ive ran audyssey twice but never the full 8 measurements because im waiting on a subwoofer for friday.

so its just front left right and center. both times i ran audyssey i just ran the first 4 measurements. also, i kept the mic at the same exact position, never moving it to the next position.

friday when i get my sub ill rerun audyssey with surrounds, sub, front left right and center. this time ill run audyssey correctly with all 8 positions.

the room is small so audyssey just setting the speakers with lesser volume to compensate im assuming.

speakers sound great in direct mode listening to music
You are right, your room being small, combined with the relatively high sensitivity of the Klipsch speakers, even -10 could be normal.

As far as taking only 1 measurement, that is not recommended, even if you always sit in the same one position. Below is link to an Audioholics interview with the founder of Audyssey.

http://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/audyssey-room-eq-interview

Please note the following that should be of interest to you:

"Audioholics: Do your room correction products utilize multi-point measurements? Why or why not? If so, how many measurement points are available?

Chris Kyriakakis: It is fairly simple to show that measuring in one microphone location and creating a filter that “corrects” for that tiny spot will lead to poor equalization results. The room correction filters must be informed about acoustical problems throughout the listening area and some decisions have to be made on how to weigh these problems.

Audyssey MultEQ collects the information from multiple measurements and then creates groups (clusters) among them based on the similarity of the problems found. A response is then created to represent the acoustical problems in each cluster. The representative responses from the various clusters are then combined to form one representation of the room response for each speaker. The MultEQ filter is then created by inverting this final combined response."

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
thanks guys, tomorrow when i get my mk3 or mk5 (have an appointment at hsu research to listen to both) ill rerun audyssey the correct way.

my goodness, these klipsch rp280s sound great.

question on my denon x3300 receiver.

i like to listen LOUD.

it wont go past 80, but the scale is 0 - 98?

in settings the highest i can set it to is 80.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
thanks guys, tomorrow when i get my mk3 or mk5 (have an appointment at hsu research to listen to both) ill rerun audyssey the correct way.

my goodness, these klipsch rp280s sound great.

question on my denon x3300 receiver.

i like to listen LOUD.

it wont go past 80, but the scale is 0 - 98?

in settings the highest i can set it to is 80.
Are you sure you haven't accidentally set a limit? Also, even at 80, with those speakers in a small it should be too loud for most people so you may want to measure the SPL. Reference level is only 85dB and that's really loud.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
Are you sure you haven't accidentally set a limit? Also, even at 80, with those speakers in a small it should be too loud for most people so you may want to measure the SPL. Reference level is only 85dB and that's really loud.
i think the limit was set to 80, but i turned it off. yeah 80 is very loud but was testing the volume

set the klipsch rp280s and 450c to small, switching both between 80 and 60 and not sure which to go with yet. svs merlin recommends to set the towers at large or 40 though. with a subwoofer hmmm

came home with the mk5. much cleaner bass than my bic f2.
i want to test how low the mk5 goes, 18 i think, 1 port plugged
any movie recommendation that go that low?
i watched age of extinction after i set it up, plenty of explosions but didnt feel it went any lower than the f12

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i think the limit was set to 80, but i turned it off. yeah 80 is very loud but was testing the volume

set the klipsch rp280s and 450c to small, switching both between 80 and 60 and not sure which to go with yet. svs merlin recommends to set the towers at large or 40 though. with a subwoofer hmmm

i watched age of extinction after i set it up, plenty of explosions but didnt feel it went any lower than the f12
Congrats on the new sub. A nice movie to test your deep bass with is the opening sequence of Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat....just be careful. You can try the "f'ing Irene" 7hz helicopter chop in Black Hawk Down but doubt you'd get much if anything. Your sub's -3dB point is 18, it should still do something below that especially when in "sealed" mode I'd think, although full ported mode should drop off pretty rapidly.

Good list of bass heavy movies here at the data-bass forum.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Congrats on the new sub. A nice movie to test your deep bass with is the opening sequence of Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat....just be careful. You can try the "f'ing Irene" 7hz helicopter chop in Black Hawk Down but doubt you'd get much if anything. Your sub's -3dB point is 18, it should still do something below that especially when in "sealed" mode I'd think, although full ported mode should drop off pretty rapidly.

Good list of bass heavy movies here at the data-bass forum.
Don't forget room gain! 7Hz may be too much to ask, but he should get lower than 18Hz for -3dB point!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Your 11X11 (ft right?) room could still be still a limiting factor even with good very nice subs and Audyssey. Aside from the 11X11 dimensions, ceiling height and openings to other rooms are also factors. There are physical things you can do to improve things further, but you should plot some graphs to see what the issues are first. That's only if you really want more, otherwise just enjoy what you have now, already a great setup.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't forget room gain! 7Hz may be too much to ask, but he should get lower than 18Hz for -3dB point!
Agree, I would love to see some 10-200 Hz plots for that set up too, 2 great subs, Audyssey in a seemingly small square room. May be he should give Pogre a call, wonder how much he charges for a few plots....:D:D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't heard the F12, but often subs in that price range tune the port to give a ton of low frequency energy. What they have done is sacrifice balance for sheer output. In other words, the F12 might be producing tons of energy in the upper 20Hz range and essentially no output below 20Hz, but the sheer amount of power it produces in the upper 20's makes it seem like it digs lower. Often this approach is passable for HT, but when playing music, you realize detail in the mid to upper 30's-40's is lost to the boom in the upper 20s where the port is tuned.
Like I say, I have not heard the F12, so may be totally wrong, but you might listen to your new vs old sub with this in mind and see if it fits.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched EOT last night and rewound the beginning probably ten times. with 1 port open eq1 I got some really loud port chuffing at one of those frequencies. You could feel the air blowing from across the room!

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
well i have to say after a couple days listening to my setup omgoodness the sound
audyssey xt32, klipsch rp280s, rp450center and the mk5 sounds bad ass
i just watched logan, wow

i dont see myself upgrading, maybe in 5 years

i dont know anything about graphs and plots etc. i just rely on audyssey

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
ive been listeing to a lot of music in direct mode today.

one minor issue, or maybe its a stereo thing or maybe theres wax in my right ear.

on a couple cds, i get a slight higher treble from left speaker. some sounds like cymbals are also strong on left speaker, but audible to a lesser extent from the right speaker. and sound comes slightly from below left of center. this mostly happened listening to cds. i suspect some of the effects are stereo effect.
this happens not so much watching youtube music

i didnt notice this watching bluray movies

i did up left and right and center 5db with the test tone option, also raised them 5db with channel levels

its enough of a difference that its bothering me, but im pretty sure its just how songs are recorded in stereo. but still, the effect is always stronger on the left speaker.

wondering how can i test the tweeters to make sure?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

one minor issue, or maybe its a stereo thing or maybe theres wax in my right ear.

on a couple cds, i get a slight higher treble from left speaker. some sounds like cymbals are also strong on left speaker, but audible to a lesser extent from the right speaker. and sound comes slightly from below left of center. this mostly happened listening to cds. i suspect some of the effects are stereo effect.

i did up left and right and center 5db with the test tone option, also raised them 5db with channel levels

its enough of a difference that its bothering me, but im pretty sure its just how songs are recorded in stereo. but still, the effect is always stronger on the left speaker.

Could be just the 2 CDs. What about the rest of your CDs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

First, why direct?

Second, are your speakers/room symmetrical in relation to your primary listening position? You know when a sound is particularly on one side vs the other without being related to your room acoustics vs the speakers'?

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
when listening to music i use direct so that probably gives me stereo and all processing is turned off.
the one 280 has bed approx 4 feet in front of it. cant do anything about that. that speaker is the one that on a couple songs treble sounded lower. i listened to the songs again i think some of the sound is meant to come out of only the right speaker, thats just how they were recorded. for instance counting crows round here.

i have a lot of cds, using my playstation 3 with them. is that good for cds? or should i buy a cd player?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
when listening to music i use direct so that probably gives me stereo and all processing is turned off.
the one 280 has bed approx 4 feet in front of it. cant do anything about that. that speaker is the one that on a couple songs treble sounded lower. i listened to the songs again i think some of the sound is meant to come out of only the right speaker, thats just how they were recorded. for instance counting crows round here.

i have a lot of cds, using my playstation 3 with them. is that good for cds? or should i buy a cd player?
Direct may or may not use sub (i.e. processing), sometimes "stereo" mode does, sometimes it doesn't....avr specific. Jut wondered what with the new sub....

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
I just set up my new x3300, ran Audessy and connected them up to my SVS prime towers and was blown away. Maybe try defaulting and rerun. The wizard. Is it possi le your audessey microphone is bad?

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
everything sounds great. though with my small room audyssey set the towers to -10 or -11 i think, center also, which is understandable

when listening to youtube music videos i have raised volume to 93.5db on some songs and still not enough volume for me. it wont let me go higher than 93.5, i think the limit is 98.

movies at 80 volume depending on the movie, is pretty much my limit. ill have to try cds and see how loud compared to youtube music.

these kilipsch rp280s are supposedly more sensitive compared to most other speakers, and they are towers which should be easier to drive than bookshelves.

so i have more troubleshooting to do.

i do have the microphone from my denon 1712, i wonder if that would work with the denon x3300.
if so i will give that a try

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis