Denon AVR-790 wont let subwoofer play?

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys,

Yesterday I bought the Klipsch 8" subwoofer to match my floors, surrounds, and center. The Denon for some reason isnt making the subwoofer play back. I thought it was messed up because I have done this plenty of times before, but they tested it at Best Buy and I literally heard it working on the Denon AVR-790, this years same model as mine. So I know it works.

What am I doing wrong? I made the presence known in the on screen set up of all the speakers and everything for the Denon. I am stumped so far.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's all in the setup.

I'm sure you set the speakers config to speakers + subwoofer.

Set your crossover to like 80hz or so?

Set the subwoofer to SUB + Main (to play ALL low frequency)?

Wait, are you talking about 5.1 or 2.1?:D

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
I am talking 5.1. I have to mess around with it a bit more when I get home but for the most part it is stumping me.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is it 5.1 source material or are you trying to do 5 channel stereo? I had a problem when I was trying out 7 channel stereo on my 1910. I couldnt get the sub to work until I finally found it in the settings.

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
I dont quite get what you are asking but I can tell you this: I play DVDs, TV, xbox, and N64 through my Denon receiver. All the speakers work. I hooked the subwoofer up to my other yamaha receiver with no output still. I used the same cord, so could it be the cord? I viewed the cord and nothing looks wrong, looks perfectly fine as it should work.

Also on the back of the sub there are two RCA outputs. When I read the manual, it says I have two ways to hook it up. One is the L and R RCAs to same on the back of the reciver, or the one LFE outlet on the back of the sub to the pre out on the receiver. The cord I have is the two RCAs to one normal RCA for the sub pre out on the receiver, so it could possibly be the cord as it did not work with the other receiver as well, but I have been using this cord for 3-4 years with no problems.

Thanks for the help guys!

dkane360

dkane360

You should have an RCA cable going from the "Subwoofer Pre Out" from the back of your Denon receiver, to the subwoofers left/LFE rca input.

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
I tried using a l/r RCA cord with only one side and that did not work at all. I also restored all my defaults on my receiver and restarted. I am stumped now, because yesterday at best buy i physically heard it work.

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
Do Ineed a specific cord? I dont think so, but thought I would ask. If so, please link me.

dkane360

dkane360

Any standard rca cord should do. I'm getting the feeling that this is a setup issue within the receiver. I would suggest starting over, and set up the system following batpig. http://batpigworld.com/

If you've gone through all the steps and it still doesn't work, we'll keep trying to troubleshoot the problem.

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
Ok, I tried everything you said. I printed off Bat Pigs manual and did it all. reset everything and it still did not work. Is there any chance that the ohm load could be different? Although the receiver is not going into protect. This is completely baffling me as I took it to BB, they hooked it up, and I heard it work.

dkane360

dkane360

Try and take some pics of how you have the wires set up. Did they play your specific sub at best buy or was it the same model?

I know these are general questions, but lets just go over these anyways. Is the subwoofer power switch set to On? If Auto is selected, try picking On. Is there an indicator for when the power is on to the sub? Does it show that it's on? Did you go through the Bass Setting and Subwoofer Setup menu on your receiver? What model # is your subwoofer? Do you have a different subwoofer you can try?

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
Subwoofer is set to on. the blue light lights up when the sub receives signal, and the blue light is on. yes, I went through the menu options for the subwoofer, and also the oens according to bat pig. They also took my exact one because I went to return it and they wanted to test it, and I heard my exact one sitting in my house now play on their denon receiver. Also, it is the SW 350 model. I tried this sub on my other receiver and I still cant get it to play...but I heard it play at best buy, so I know it works.

Its so frustrating!!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Subwoofer is set to on. the blue light lights up when the sub receives signal, and the blue light is on. yes, I went through the menu options for the subwoofer, and also the oens according to bat pig. They also took my exact one because I went to return it and they wanted to test it, and I heard my exact one sitting in my house now play on their denon receiver. Also, it is the SW 350 model. I tried this sub on my other receiver and I still cant get it to play...but I heard it play at best buy, so I know it works.

Its so frustrating!!!
May be it does not work. It may be the vibration of the journey made it work on a temporary basis.

Connect a CD player direct to the sub and you should hear sound. If not the sub is dead.

If you hear sound and don't get sound when connected to either receiver, then the output to your sub from your receivers is set too low to activate the auto on, or you do not know how to set up bass management of a receiver.

It would be very unlikely that two receivers would have defective LFE outputs.

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
Well the sub hums just from the current from the wall outlet or whatever it is, the 60hz note at a constant buzz. so the sub moves and the amp is on. I can feel the sub moving from a constant buzz just very very lightly.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well the sub hums just from the current from the wall outlet or whatever it is, the 60hz note at a constant buzz. so the sub moves and the amp is on. I can feel the sub moving from a constant buzz just very very lightly.
It should not buzz. You still need to connect a CD player or some other source to it to make sure it really does work. That's not difficult and is basic step 1. So do that next.

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
I dont think I have just a normal cd player to test it on. I am not dumb and I get the gist of what you are saying, but on the back of the cd player there has to be a subwoofer out, or no?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I dont think I have just a normal cd player to test it on. I am not dumb and I get the gist of what you are saying, but on the back of the cd player there has to be a subwoofer out, or no?
No just feed the analog L or R channel to the sub. (its just a test) Also again just confirming that your main speakers are set to small in the setup menu?

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
Yes they are set to small and my sw is set to yes. and when i feed the analog signal to the sub, i need to pay like the radio or a cd or something to get sound right? because i honestly dont think I have a cd player. I mean I have my xbox and blu ray player..

dkane360

dkane360

Yes they are set to small and my sw is set to yes. and when i feed the analog signal to the sub, i need to pay like the radio or a cd or something to get sound right? because i honestly dont think I have a cd player. I mean I have my xbox and blu ray player..
plug the left and right (white and red) rca jacks into the corresponding rca jacks on the subwoofer. you can do that with either the xbox or the blu-ray player as long as u use their analog outs.

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
i unplugged my fiberoptic sound and did the left and right rca from the blu ray to the back of the sub. no sound at all. but also the constant buzzing stopped. but the sound is still coming through the receiver due to the hdmi cord transferring the sound through the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis