Weathership

Weathership

Audiophyte
Any practical experience anyone...I have the 3805...should I upgrade...

El Toro

El Toro

Audioholic Intern
If everything is functioning correctly and you are happy with the 3805 I don't see and reason that you would have to upgrade. Now, if you were moving to a larger room or adding a HDTV or switching to some power hungary speakers then you might wnat to upgrade to take advantage of the extra video conversions and power. Other wise just stay with what you have.

MY STUFF:

Denon 1082
Denon 910
Denon 1000
NAD T773
Monster power HTS-1000

Klipsch KLF-10
Klipsch KSC-C1
Klipsch SS-3
Klipsch KSW-12

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Tough decision

I agree. Use your component video connections, and buy a nice external slightly used amp for $200 - $300 on ebay if you want more headroom. The 3805 will last many years before you need to upgrade. But if you have the upgrade bug, the 3805 is still fetching top dollar on ebay, and is very hard to find used. You can get $700-$750 easy right now.

Weathership

Weathership

Audiophyte
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I agree. Use your component video connections, and buy a nice external slightly used amp for $200 - $300 on ebay if you want more headroom. The 3805 will last many years before you need to upgrade. But if you have the upgrade bug, the 3805 is still fetching top dollar on ebay, and is very hard to find used. You can get $700-$750 easy right now.
My main concern is HDMI switching..and bandwidth...

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Weathership said:
Got it. It seems to me like an expensive price to pay for switching capabilities when the HDMI cable can be run from the cable box directly to the tv. A little inconvenient with two remotes, but then there's the economic side. IMO, HDMI is so new, that prices are at a premium for those connections. They are sure to come down in price, as everything does in due time.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Weathership said:

If you only have one video component with HDMI, connect directly to TV ;)

L

legacy

Enthusiast
I've had a 3805 for about a year and just got my 4806 in today.

Both use the same dacs but the pre-amp section of the 4806 is a definate improvement IMHO. I would assume the amp section is somewhat also but I don't use it. Of course there is the Audessy system and some other features. I found the 3805 room equalization to be of little value.

The 4806 is expensive. The new Pioneer 74tx and upcoming Denon units may be a better value. And the Yamaha RX-V4600 seems an excellent value.

Weathership

Weathership

Audiophyte
legacy said:
I've had a 3805 for about a year and just got my 4806 in today.

Both use the same dacs but the pre-amp section of the 4806 is a definate improvement IMHO. I would assume the amp section is somewhat also but I don't use it. Of course there is the Audessy system and some other features. I found the 3805 room equalization to be of little value.

The 4806 is expensive. The new Pioneer 74tx and upcoming Denon units may be a better value. And the Yamaha RX-V4600 seems an excellent value.
Thanks all for the insight...the HDMI switching issue is real for me..i will be adding panasonic p-2 player to join the denon as a HD source....

LikeABanshee

LikeABanshee

Audioholic Intern
You could also hold out a couple of months for the two new Denon AVRs featured here a couple of weeks ago - <a href = 'http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/DenonAVR3806AVR4306receiver.php' target='_blank' >NEW! Denon AVR-3806 and AVR-4306 Receivers</a>.
Both offer 2 to 1 HDMI switching. The 4306 looks very nice for the price drop over the 4806.

L

legacy

Enthusiast
Weathership, I thought I would give a small update after a quick and imprecise Audessy setup. I am going to get a tripod over the weekend and re-read the 5805 Audessy setup tips here.

With the caveat that it does seem a bit louder I was very impressed with my first few hours using it in both two channel stereo and one movie. I'm feeling a bit better about extra money spent upgrading the 3805 now :)

As someone pointed out you could wait for the 4306. I'm not sure its version of Audessy is as good as the 4806 though.

Weathership

Weathership

Audiophyte
Thanks All Very Much For Your Thoughts. I Will Be Waiting For The 4803....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis