Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
Hello Gene,

I'm sorry, my English is very poor and I have not caught all your interview with Jeff (don't worry, it's not an audio quality issue).

Did Jeff give information about the firmwares issues (Net/USB issues, Wifi, ...) AVP/AVC's owners have reported to AVS and Audioholics (please read the message of Seth V. on page 6) ?

Thank you very much.
The interview said to keep trying the upgrade if you couldn't get it to work. The other issues are known and are being worked on so just use it as you would normally do and a fix should be here shortly.

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
Does the AVP clip pixels?

The 5308 clips 2 pixels on the right and 4 on the top through HDMI even when in pass through mode.
Can someone please test this so Gene can let Denon know if its an issue for all or just me?

S

ShaharT

Audiophyte
Thanks!

Hi, just a quick thanks for an amazing review of the POA & AVP, as well as the splendid recorded interview with Jeff (DenonJeff).

It's such a great pleasure to hear (or read) from like minded individuals.

At the moment my system is a 2 * POA + 1 * AVP, a Denon DVD-A1XVA (=5910), PS3 (blu-ray & games), Xbox360 + HD-DVD drive, WII, a Sharp 21K projector and a KURO 60" screen - with a B&W series eight 7.1 speakers (802Ds, HTM1D, ASW sub). And I'm loving it! And fortunately so does my wife.

We almost got the new Denon Blu-Ray transport - but we'll just wait now for the new uber Denon blu-ray player instead and keep using the PS3 to play movies until it's out. I think Jeff said it should be out in stores by Feb next year. Oh the wait :). I hope they launch it in the UK at that time and not 6 months later.

So again - thanks for a great site, great review of the beloved Denon products and a great recording of your conversation with Jeff. I had a great time thanks to you!

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
The 5 upgrades are for models below the 5308 for features you have or will have and will cost apprx $100. Yours and the 5308 will get Dynamic Volume and Sirius radio for free.
Thanks Shamus for correcting me.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Great interview Gene.Looking forward to the new upcoming BD player that will be annouced in cedia.Correct if im wrong it's 11:53pm and a bit tired but did I hear correctley there is going to be 5 extra upgrades availble(Which im guessing we have to pay for) which will be introuced at cedia? Crossing my fingers for Vertical strectching.
The audio is very clear.
Hmm I can't recall since I didn't go back and listen to the podcast after it was recorded. As more info becomes available, I will post it of course. From what I understand firmware updates are free but upgrades to add features have an associated price. I will tabulate them as they come along.

Hi, just a quick thanks for an amazing review of the POA & AVP, as well as the splendid recorded interview with Jeff (DenonJeff).

It's such a great pleasure to hear (or read) from like minded individuals.

At the moment my system is a 2 * POA + 1 * AVP, a Denon DVD-A1XVA (=5910), PS3 (blu-ray & games), Xbox360 + HD-DVD drive, WII, a Sharp 21K projector and a KURO 60" screen - with a B&W series eight 7.1 speakers (802Ds, HTM1D, ASW sub). And I'm loving it! And fortunately so does my wife.

We almost got the new Denon Blu-Ray transport - but we'll just wait now for the new uber Denon blu-ray player instead and keep using the PS3 to play movies until it's out. I think Jeff said it should be out in stores by Feb next year. Oh the wait . I hope they launch it in the UK at that time and not 6 months later.

So again - thanks for a great site, great review of the beloved Denon products and a great recording of your conversation with Jeff. I had a great time thanks to you!
Wow thats some setup you've got there! Yes I'd wait for the new Blu ray player if you could. In the meantime, enjoy your PS3. Life is good ain't it?

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
Gene, did you run any tests to see if HDMI clipped any pixels?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, did you run any tests to see if HDMI clipped any pixels?
No but I will ask Clint to do so on his 5308 review since he has the right test disc for this. We typically don't test for this as its rarely a problem.

D

DeFAZKEN

Audiophyte
Banned?

Why is it when I click on the discussion link I get the following message?

"You have been banned from AVRant. That's hard to do so you must be very proud. Have a nice day."

I just registered to the forums today....I'm not that bad.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

"You have been banned from AVRant. That's hard to do so you must be very proud. Have a nice day."

So you do like Denon products?

D

DeFAZKEN

Audiophyte
So you do like Denon products?
Ah yeah, my AVR4308CI is 2 months old. All my DefTechs are a bit older though.

But what's that got to do with my experience trying to listen to the podcast interview? Hahah....I'm a little confused.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
Denon's Price Hike

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/AVReceivers.asp

They are now $7,500 each = $15,000 for both?

They also raised the prices of the others too.
The Electronic Stock Room, out of Phoenix AZ, held a CI training course in May, and they discussed that the prices for a lot of the AVR xx08 line would be rising do to increased costs of business. Due to the increase costs of gas, Denon could no longer eat this extra cost of doing business.

It sucks when it doesn't just hurt at the pump, but it also messes up with our hobby/making a living.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Must be a glitch on AVRANT. I will have Clint look into this.

C

CharlyD

Enthusiast
Support for Hi-resolution Audio files?

This is truly a very impressive statement piece from Denon. It comes up a bit short, however, in one aspect that could hopefully be easily remedied. The maximum sample rate for audio streamed to this device is 48kHz. This eliminates support for playback of high resolution audio (at least 2 channels at at least 24-bit/88.2kHz) files from a network server. This box certainly has the capability to process and render that level of content when delivered over other inputs (e.g. HDMI, d.link). There are several sites now offering download of hi-res audio, and I'm sure there will be several more in the near future. DVD-A is nearly dead and SACD is withering. Blu-Ray can easily carry hi-res content with the new codecs from Dolby and DTS, but I have my doubts that it will be come a common media for audio-only distribution.

W

W4ZOO

Audioholic Intern
This is truly a very impressive statement piece from Denon. It comes up a bit short, however, in one aspect that could hopefully be easily remedied. The maximum sample rate for audio streamed to this device is 48kHz. This eliminates support for playback of high resolution audio (at least 2 channels at at least 24-bit/88.2kHz) files from a network server. This box certainly has the capability to process and render that level of content when delivered over other inputs (e.g. HDMI, d.link). There are several sites now offering download of hi-res audio, and I'm sure there will be several more in the near future. DVD-A is nearly dead and SACD is withering. Blu-Ray can easily carry hi-res content with the new codecs from Dolby and DTS, but I have my doubts that it will be come a common media for audio-only distribution.
Two Questions...
This makes my lossless files on my server a waste of space?

What sites are offering Hi-res audio?

Thanks

M

MarkB

Audiophyte
Gene,

Thank you for a great review and pod cast with Jeff.

A few of us over on AVS have been discussing the idea of setting up a Wiki and/or creating a reference manual on the AVP/POA, and I was wondering what you think of this?

Regards

Mark

J

JonFo

Audiophyte
I'll be testing some 24/96 FLAC files in the coming week, but for now, I can confirm that the AVP correctly handles DTS encoded .WAV files, even though the docs don’t mention this.

I actually expect the AVP to handle any auto-detected format via the streaming interface just as well as it does through the SPDIF interfaces.

We might even get lucky and they could have implemented extension based mapping for other formats. I'll be testing AC3 (dolbyDigital) files as well through the USB interface.

In any case, it's just some firmware update to get improved format support, so we can hope an lobby ofr more coded and rez support.

C

CharlyD

Enthusiast
Two Questions...
This makes my lossless files on my server a waste of space?

What sites are offering Hi-res audio?

Thanks
As long as your lossless files have a sample rate lower than 48kHz and are in a supported format (e.g. FLAC), they should play just fine.

Some of the sites offering hi-rez downloads are:
http://www.itrax.com/
http://www.linnrecords.com/catalogue.aspx?format=studio
http://www.musicgiants.com/
http://www.hdtracks.com/index.php

My apologies to those I'm sure I must be leaving out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis