Denon Announces AVR-3806 and AVR-4306 Receivers!

F

FreshTrax

Audiophyte
What are the pro's and cons of using the PC as opposed to using the the Denon 4306?

G

gcmills

Audiophyte
AVR 4306 with home system

I love the options with this unit!!

One question, does it have a fixed output, line out where i can plug it into my home system? I have a theater in my living room that is also connected to the speakers/controls in each room. It came with the house and it only has one source input!!!(greyfox in case you're wondering) so, i can only have one input....which i would like to run everything through the AVR 4306 and have the single output go to the house wired system.....it can't be variable though. Any ideas?

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
HookedOnSound said:
Just the ability to save the 'last known good' profile would be a godsent. With that, you could restore a good profile back to the unit at any given time. IMO it would be an awesome feature.

Receivers are becoming more and more complex and such features could definitely cut down alot of frustration and would not only be useful for custom installers. Other features like firmware upgrades, calibration apps, etc, would also be a possible.
This is why I'm considering waiting for the Harman Kardon AVR 640. The 740, 640 and 440 all have a USB port to stream from the computer with the remote controlling playback functions using Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, Winamp and MusicMatch; and of course as a pathway to accomodate software or firmware upgrades like new surround formats.

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
I connected the optical digital out from my PC snd card to the Denon and designated it CD.

Now anything audio that come into my PC can be played through the Denon (including HDCD) which is part of Windows Media Player 9 and up and can be implemented by connectinga pair of analog outs from the snd card to the Denon.

If you have Dolby Headphone you can connect the headphone jack to the inport of your sound card and create a 5.1 cd.

Anyway, I've used my Denon and PC together for 5 yrs now. I also use my65' screen as either a PC desktop or for streaming video with accompanying audo.

In reality I think pretty much an A/V receiver can do this. (except the DolbyHeadphone part).

Peter M.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Apparently Denon is adding an Ethernet port upgrade to the AVR-2807. AVR-5805 and AVR-4806. I'd think USB would be simpler, but whatever. Guess those with the 3806 are SOL.

Here's an article on the new features of other brands shown in Vegas last month:

<a href=http://www.twice.com/article/CA6296871.html>Receivers Making New Connections, 1/5/2006</a> (This article seems to be rigged so that if it's not coming from Google, it requires a login to view. Just Google "Denon AVR 2807 twice.com" and it'll come up).

Last edited:
zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
I've had my AVR-3806 for 2.5 months now (got it Dec. '05), and overall I'm pleased with the unit. The sound quality is great, and there are plenty of features that suit all my current needs in a prepro/receiver.

I mention pre/pro cause I'm using an external amp to power my center channel to help take some strain off the 3806's amp. Although rated at 120wpc x7 channels, pushing all of the channels at once when playing something such as an intense surround audio DVD (Blue Man Group's first DVD Audio for example) puts the 3806 in a strain if you like loud levels (I only occasionally do...). I put an old Parasound 2 channel amp I had into bridged mono mode and use it to power my center channel (Def Tech CLR 3000). My L&R mains seem to have more depth and dynamics with the 3806 not having to power the center channel.

The bi-amping feature is nice, and I'm happy it's officially included with the 3806 as it was possible with the 3805 if you configured it just right, but without the ability to use the auto-eq and with the occasional humming side effect experienced by some users of the 3805 biamping.... I use the bi-amping feature to power my Definitive Technology BP2000's. I set the 3806 to run the BP2000's set to large and run the sub in each BP2000 off of the L or R preamp outs.

The auto-eq in the 3806 though, is the only real aspect of the receiver I'm disappointed in. I've heard so many people rave about it, but I've been unhappy with it's sound despite MANY recalibrations and different speaker set ups. I currently do not use the auto-eq feature. I may use the manuel eq feature in the future, but right now I'm only using the sub eq's built into each of my front channels.

The remote could be better; it's abilities to control other components are limited as there just aren't many buttons, so for advanced command buttons (like the subtitles or audio buttons on your DVD player remote) you have to keep going to the players remote. My old universal remote is the Marantz RC2000. Even though it's as old as it is, it's a hard act to follow with it's capability to control other compenents so extensively.

With Denon's announcement @ CES of the soon to be released AVR-2807; despite it having 10 less wpc & no Denon-Link, I'd have to say I'd heavily consider going with it before buying a new 3806 right now. It appears to include many of the same features as the AVR-3806 plus the newer HDMI version and the ability to connect to denon's new iPod dock. The 2807 does take a step back with no AL24 Processing (3806 has it on all channels), the 2807's DACs aren't going to be as nice as the 3806's Burr-Browns, and again no Denon-link with the 2807.

I'm not sorry for getting the AVR-3806 when I did; I think it's a higher quality audio product than the 2807 will be, and I needed a new receiver when I bought it! For those who haven't taken the plunge yet thought, the AVR-2807 (at least on paper), looks like it will be a nice choice for the HDMI compatibility concerned & iPod fans.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis