Denon Announces AVR-3806 and AVR-4306 Receivers!

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
The 100th edition of Widescreen is on the shelves. Lots of high profile people have pretty straight forward articles on some questions asked here.

"one installers view" cuts to the chase.

Always keep in the back of your mind that just because its in print doesn't make it gospel so if it sounds solid, mention it here for a reaction.

Peter M.

Z

zoran

Audioholic
So, if not HDMI 1.2 then will all these new mega buck recievers will be obsolete before they release?

M

Maddys

Audioholic Intern
I am without a H/T reciever as I sold my 4802, and was going to buy the 4806, but this 4306 has me thinking.

What am I really giving up for $1500 on the 4306?

Michael

hail

hail

Audiophyte
Hello, are these receivers compatible with forthcoming players Blu Ray/HD DVD?

M

MPK

Audiophyte
Interesting that the European version of the 3806 has analog to HDMI upconversion. Rather rare that we Europeans get something extra, normally it's the other way around... :)

T

thxgoon

Junior Audioholic
Maddys said:
I am without a H/T reciever as I sold my 4802, and was going to buy the 4806, but this 4306 has me thinking.

What am I really giving up for $1500 on the 4306?

Michael
Quite a bit looking at the specs. Toroid transformer, 8 independent power supplys, 3 TI processors. Not much in the way of features, but quite a bit in meat and potatoes.

K

knownalien

Audioholic Intern
thxgoon said:
Quite a bit looking at the specs. Toroid transformer, 8 independent power supplys, 3 TI processors. Not much in the way of features, but quite a bit in meat and potatoes.
I want to know what the THD will be on the 4306 at 6 ohms. I can live without the 4806 other niffty features. I like that the 3506 and 4306 can be used to bi-amp a speaker using their Surround back speakers if you are not using a 7.1 configuration. I suspect that the THD will remain .7% at 6 ohms 1 khz.

1khpsupra

1khpsupra

Audioholic Intern
Avr-4306

Stopped by tweeter yesterday evening to take a look at the AVR-4806. I was told that the 4306 would be in the store on Nov 17th. I'm really on the fence as to my next receiver. Really like the 4806, but comparing to yama 4600 for pioneer 74txvi makes the decision more difficult.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
AVR-3806 does have upconverting to HDMI w/ OSD

Someone might have already posted this, but just in case not, the AVR-3806 (the US version) does have video upconverting from all video inputs (including composite) to the HDMI outputs with the onscreen display also available via the HDMI outputs.

Last edited:
zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Differences btw 3806 & 4306 - ethernet connectivity functions?

Hi Everybody, I'm looking for some input from you all here.

I'm almost sold on buying the 3806, but I just want more info on what I would gain from upgrading to the 4306 instead. I know about the ipod connectivity, that's not a major issue, and an additional S-Video input I couldn't care less about, but what possibilities does the ethernet connection to a PC have? What can you do with that connection? upgrade software in the future? Control the unit via computer software? Also, if there is software or personal computer communication to the 4306 via the ethernet port, is that Macintosh computer compatible? (I can't be the only Mac user out here!)

I also know that the 4306 have 10wpc more power, not a major issues at that wattage level already. If anyone has input, I'd love to hear it about 3806 vs 4306. I hope to upgrade to a McIntosh control unit and amps in 8 years (if I have my loans paid off by then!), but I want to make the most of the receiver I have until then.
Thanks,
Brad

D

DaveyNJ

Audiophyte
3806 v 4306

I am a proud owner of the Denon AVR-4306. From what I can see the ethernet jack in the rear is the primary difference with the 3806. That having been said, it is a pretty unique option. I was skeptical at first. I assumed that it would be impossible to actually get it to work. However, the only thing I had to do was connect an ethernet cable to my Linksys wireless router. I then downloaded Windows Media Connect from the Microsoft web site. I then had instant on-screen access to all the music on my computer. They played through my receiver instantly and flawlessly. There is also an on-screen access to "Internet Radio" which sorts content by country and local area.

I have not had a chance to test "controlling" the 4306 via my web browser.

Also note, I see no mention of support for Macintosh computers in the manual. In fact there is a sticker on the receiver from Microsoft that says "Plays for Sure" Windows Audio. The manual is available on the Denon web site.

In addition, the 4306 has an additional HDMI input and as you stated 130 watts per channel.

Hope this helps...

David

Denon AVR-4306
Sony XBR-910
Denon 2910 DVD player
Klipsch RVX-54 fronts
Klipsh RVX-42 center
Klipsch RW-8 sub

C

ca_newbee

Audioholic Intern
Proud owner of a 3806 for the last two months but the remote is awful to use

C

ca_newbee

Audioholic Intern
zildjian said:
Hi Everybody, I'm looking for some input from you all here.

I'm almost sold on buying the 3806, but I just want more info on what I would gain from upgrading to the 4306 instead. I know about the ipod connectivity, that's not a major issue, and an additional S-Video input I couldn't care less about, but what possibilities does the ethernet connection to a PC have? What can you do with that connection? upgrade software in the future? Control the unit via computer software? Also, if there is software or personal computer communication to the 4306 via the ethernet port, is that Macintosh computer compatible? (I can't be the only Mac user out here!)

I also know that the 4306 have 10wpc more power, not a major issues at that wattage level already. If anyone has input, I'd love to hear it about 3806 vs 4306. I hope to upgrade to a McIntosh control unit and amps in 8 years (if I have my loans paid off by then!), but I want to make the most of the receiver I have until then.
Thanks,
Brad
Bought my 3806 a couple of months back. Key reason was the hdmi inputs and outputs. The 3806 has a nice easy automated setup for speakers and the audessey mode seems a great addition in delivering the soundstage. Ultimately 'next years' model will have more knobs and whistles but I think with hdmi its pretty future proof. My only concern is its only a 2 in 1 hdmi switch... I just have a 2910 as my only source and ultimately I expect to have a satellite HD PVR and a blue ray or hd-dvd player once that stupidity is resolved so I'm short one input long-term to my AVR

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
AVR 3806/4306 Remote Control

Can some of you who own the 3806 or 4306 give some thoughts on the remote. ca_newbee doesn't like his remote; does anybody like theirs? I'd definately live with it for a while before making any upgrade decisions, but is it so bad that it's worth getting another universal? I had such high hopes when I saw the remote (I thought last years remote looked pretty cool, but wondered about it's user friendliness.

Thanks for the input on the 4306 ethernet capabilities; I'll probably stick with my initial choice and get the 3806. The 43 would be nice if money wasn't an object, but I don't think I would use the extras enough to justify the pretty big jump in price. 120 wpc should be plenty for me too as my L/C/R channels all have built in powered subs. I have the Definitive Technology BP2000's, CLR 3000, and BPVX surrounds; and I have been extremely pleased with them.
Brad

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
Denon AVR-3806 Remote and Audio Set Up

The new Denon remote (model RC-1024) that comes with the the new AVR-3806 is nowhere near as good as the remote that came with the AVR-3805. I had purchased the AVR-3805 in August 2005 when Tweeter was having their sale of this model for $849. The touch activated, full touch-screen remote of the 3805 was easy to use, controlled all of my components, and was extremely "cool." Unfortunately, after having this receiver for only 2 and a half months, I started getting noise out of the left front channel. Since Tweeter had a 120-day upgrade policity on the A/V receivers they sell (by the way, the year long trade-up policy only applies to speakers) and since they had the AVR-3806 receiver in stock, I took back the 3805 for the 3806 (and unfortunately, losing the great mark-down deal I got on the 3805). The new remote for the 3806 has half "touch-screen" and half "hard buttons." The touch screen panel is so small that it is hard to select the option you want and it is not as sensitive as the 3805 remote (you often have to press an option numerous times on the screen for it to register). It also doesn't light up when you pick it up as the 3805 remote did. I suspect Denon downgraded the remote of the 3806 so they didn't have to raise the price of the 3806 by more than $100 with respect to the 3805 due to the added features on the receiver itself. I wish Denon would sell their remotes on the side like Marantz does with their higher end models in order to get back that 3805 remote. I will likely buy a third-party universal remote sometime in the future.

Another thing of note is that the one-position (of the microphone) room equalization audio set up on the 3805 did a better job of producing a great sound (except for the left front channel noise) for my home theater than the six-position (of the microphone) Audyssey MultiEQ XT audio set up on the 3806. This was true no matter what locations I chose for the seating positions (I tried a variety including the two suggested seating position posted in the user manual). Though the HDMI switching is a nice option for my future plans of my home theater, I would rather have the 3805 back in my possession (minus the noise problem).

Well, that's my two cents.

Don

Last edited:

brigont

Audiophyte
Denon AVR 4306 - Video Upconversion

I just spoke with a customer service rep at denon who indicated that the 4306 upconverts the signal via Farouja DCDI. There are referneces to DCDI in the tech sheet, but nothing emblazened on the case.

Can any owners tell me if this unit is simply a switcher or if it actually improves image quality?

Please advise.

Brian

O

onedrop

Audiophyte
im currently evaluating the denon avr-3806 vs. the avr-3805. I can get the 3805 for about $250 less than the 3806 right now. Is it worth the extra cash for the upgrade? Anyone know more about the amplification enhancements to the 3806?

B

benben

Audiophyte
Put The Pipe Down

NOTHING COMPARES TO THE 4306... NOTHING... 4600 DOESNT UPCONVERT... SEE CNET'S REVIEW.

USB: FRONT AND BACK
ZONE2 VIDEO OUT: SVIDEO!
NETWORK CONECTION
UPGRADABLE
UPCONVERSION:Composite video signals are converted to HDMI (*2), component video, & S-video;

IF THERE IS SOMETHING OUT THERE WITH ALL OF THIS FOR THE SAME PRICE... SOMEONE CLUE ME IT!!!

F

FreshTrax

Audiophyte
I have a really nice Denon AVR reciever that is about 7 years old. I dont know the model number but it was over 1500 dollars at the time. Of course it doesnt have all the new bells and whistles that the 3806 or the 4306 have. I was wondering how much of a difference does it make to have the connections for an ipod and for USB2 on the reciever? This unit is expensive and for the price of it I coudl build a very nice PC that I could hook up to my existing reciever. Are there advantages of the 4306 over having a PC with all the connections and all the hard drive space for music connected up to my existing Denon.

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
If you already have a PC with digital out of the motherboard or snd/cd you have it made.

I connected an $8.00 mltitype card reader to my pc. I dnld the latest Harry Potter audio book (mp3 style) to the card and then played it through the Denon by designatin CD as the digital input from my pc.

Then I took the SD card out of the reader, put it in my Palm and listened to it from there.

Peter M.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis