Definitive Technology Speakers

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Is there anyone in WI that you havent dated?:cool:
For sure.... I thought he would have been here ranting and raving about "MY PRECIOUS".... hehhehee

He truly has an affinity for those speaks...

I have heard them in a friend of mines small condo, and I thought they sounded fantastic... pretty laid back for my taste, but smooth as a fine cognac...

I heard some of Daryl Stuermer/Another Side of Genesis/ Awesome album for genesis fans... Lives in my home town... I used to date his babysitter in highschool, and hanging out at his house in Whitefish Bay was quite a treat at my young age... but I digress...

That album is smooth as silk, and showed off those Def Tech's really well...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Is there anyone in WI that you havent dated?:cool:
HEHEHHE Ya got me... yeah there are a few... but Im still young..

I have to stop treating women so good.. they get all googly eyed and fall in love right away, and that drama gets in the way of my plans... :D

So many women, so little time... :)

M

mikevommit

Audiophyte
i know my spelling is sh*t but can you blame me i went to school for tv production and radio production

H

hifisyd01

Audioholic Intern
I've got Mythos speakers all the way around and I actually love them. The look is very slick and the sound is very impressive for movies... (music, not as much). I auditioned a few other manufacturers... Mirage and Energy. I liked them all, but the DefTechs sounded (IMO) as good as any of the others. I'll agree they may be over-hyped a bit by some of the mags, but I'm extremely picky, and as of right now, I have no desire to upgrade them... well... maybe I'll upgrade the fronts at some point. :D It's no secret that audiophiles are a strange breed, and so much about sound quality is subjective. The simple solution is to buy whatever sounds good to you and take a lot of the print and online reviews (good or bad) with a grain of salt.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
It is shocking that AccuDefTec never responded to this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a bad feeling that his wife drew the line, and actually kicked his Buttocks out of the crib....

He scared her one too many time with that monster... :)

Way to go bro... !!!!

jagxtype

jagxtype

Audioholic
was over at ultimate electronics last night listening around. I have to admit, out off the room i was in, they by far sounded the best. But it was only music playing. I think some of the others were mirage, some higher end klipsch, cheaper KEFs, and some cheap primus infinity bookshelfs. I think the built in subs made all the difference b/c there was no sub on at the time. Sounded clean too though. IMHO i think they are good.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
was over at ultimate electronics last night listening around. I have to admit, out off the room i was in, they by far sounded the best. But it was only music playing. I think some of the others were mirage, some higher end klipsch, cheaper KEFs, and some cheap primus infinity bookshelfs. I think the built in subs made all the difference b/c there was no sub on at the time. Sounded clean too though. IMHO i think they are good.
They might have had more depth as well if set up correctly.;)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe his thoughts were coming to him slowly...nothing wrong with that;)
He made a post every minute, just one liners, that could have been part of one larger post. Read post 23-25 and you will understand what I mean.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Read some of their reviews and you'll realize they make some great speakers. The bottom line is whether *you* like them. Go have a listen and decide for yourself.

I have a pair of BP7001SC and I think they are great for both HT as well as 2 channel.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DT makes some great speakers; dont worry. AccuDefTec will be on here telling you how great they are before long:D
**ha**ha**:D

Brad (zildjian) is exactly right on!

If I were you, I would only buy the BP (bipolar) models if I had enough room.
When I first installed my BP7000SCs, I had them about 6-inches from the back wall, with the Active Sub Drivers facing the side walls. They sounded terrible! Almost as bad as they sounded at Best Buy or other HT stores (these stores don't have enough room to accomodate the BP models either).
Now the Direct-radiating models (CLRs, SM, PM, etc.) are like any other traditional speakers and don't require a lot of spaces at all.

Just make sure you can return the speakers if you don't like what you hear at home.

But like Greg & Brad say, Def Tech make some great sounding speakers. Of course, so do other companies.:D

And the big BP towers (7000, 7001, etc.) have fantastic subwoofers in them, and those internal subwoofers will be wonderful for MUSIC, but they will not match a separate dedicated subwoofer when it comes to MOVIES. This is due to internal volume and the physical make-up of the cabinets.

So, yeah, I highly recommend auditioning them.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Read some of their reviews and you'll realize they make some great speakers. The bottom line is whether *you* like them. Go have a listen and decide for yourself.

I have a pair of BP7001SC and I think they are great for both HT as well as 2 channel.
Yeah, I think they are absolutely fantastic for 2-ch, especially if you do the Pure Direct Mode for cleaner sound.

I think for movies, they will work great for most people as well. It's just that some weird people (like me) are not satisfied unless our rooms feel like there's an earthquake everytime the bass hits.:D

Def Tech puts a SuperCube I inside each BP7001SC and a SuperCube Reference inside each BP7000SC.

The BP7000SC goes down to 20Hz @-3dB, while the SC-Ref is 18Hz @-3dB.
The BP7001SC goes down to 22Hz @-3dB, whle the SC-I is 20Hz @-3dB.
The reason is the separate dedicated SCs have more internal volume.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love Ultimate Electronics (UE), but they don't place those BP Towers correctly!
They have those BPs about 6 inches from the back wall and about 6 inches between all the speakers! Maybe it's just the 2 UE stores in Oklahoma.:D

All that bass makes a huge difference. If they had added the subwoofers to all the other speakers, it would have been difficult to tell which ones were "better".

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I believe they are great for HT but not for music. The just don't do it for me in 2CH listening. There are some other bipole designs, specifically DIY, that I've really liked so I can't quite put my finger on the overall why....

Mark
Polk Audio CS
Did you listen to them in a HT store or in a home set-up with lots of space (3 ft from back walls and 5 feet from side walls)?

I assume the DIYs were in-home listening.

I have not yet heard any Bipolars (including Mirage & DTs) sound good at any stores because of this space limitation.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Where is AcuDefTechGuy, I thought he would bite and chew off a huge chunk of this thread by now?:D
Most likely playing with his new subwoofer. :rolleyes:
Exactly, boys.
Gotta play with the new sub.
I just saw the new French flick "Angel A" SD DVD--Great BASS.:D
Okay, that blonde chick was hot off the charts, but the bass was too.

I love the opening scene when the guys were talking, then a train came through, and ALL you hear is the AWESOME BASS of the Train! They are still talking and you can see their mouth talking away, but all you hear is this massive train's bass.:D

I gotta rewatch all my movies now with the new sub.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis