Definitive Technology Speakers

S

sean_thao

Enthusiast
does anyone know if these speakers are any good? i saw them online on BestBuys site and were expensive and was wondering if they were any good....anyone know?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
DT makes some great speakers; dont worry. AccuDefTec will be on here telling you how great they are before long:D

does anyone know if these speakers are any good? i saw them online on BestBuys site and were expensive and was wondering if they were any good....anyone know?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
As with all speakers, give them a listen before you commit to buying them. I listened to DT speakers about ten years ago when I was looking to buy, and I didn't like them. They aren't poorly made speakers, though. Personal preference is all. Now, that doesn't mean that you won't like them. Conversely, just because someone else here likes them doesn't mean that you'll like them.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I believe they are great for HT but not for music. The just don't do it for me in 2CH listening. There are some other bipole designs, specifically DIY, that I've really liked so I can't quite put my finger on the overall why....

Mark
Polk Audio CS

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
It also depends greatly on how you have them set up and which models you are using. I have the Def Tech BP2000 (not made anymore, replaced by the 7001's), and I've had them in four houses over the last 10 years, so I've had to set them up in a lot of different type rooms, and how I've set them up has made all the difference in their sound. If you're using the bipolar models and can accommodate them being a good 2-3 feet from the back wall, they can sound fantastic with HT and 2 channel music. If you put them up tight against the wall, you aren't getting the sound you could from them. Slight toeing in of the mains also helps the imaging. Don't be fooled, bipolar speakers can still produce great "imaging". The largest floor standing models with internal subs have powerful subs; the medium sized models though need an external sub to get solid low bass performance.
Hope this helps,
Brad

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Just like the others have said. Definitive Technology speakers are an excellent quality speaker. But also your original post didn't specify what DT speakers you where looking at? I am not a fan of the Mythos series. Although I do hear that the Mythos ST SuperTowers sound excellent. I am a fan of the Definitive’s Bipolar SuperTowers. :D

V

VWFast4me

Enthusiast
Opinion of Def Techs

I think that for the price that you can buy Def Tech speakers for they offer a very good value. I had the full Mythos setup with Ones in the front, Twos in the rear and Three for my center channel along with a Super Cube sub. I LOVED the looks of them with my plasma but the sound was never what I expected after reading the reviews. Maybe they just weren't set up properly or my Denon receiver just didn't have enough guts but I never was pleased.

I just replaced everything due to a burglary and losing everything I owned. I listened to and really liked the bipolar towers and almost bought them but went and lost my mind and bought Wilson Sophia 2s instead which left me in a position to not replace my center channel and go budget on the rears with B & W built-ins. I am still running the Def Tech sub. I have no regrets at all on the Wilsons because they put the performers right in your room when you close your eyes. I just have to wait to get everything that I ultimately want.

Just a newbs 2 cents worth that owned the Def Techs and almost bought again.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Which models? That makes a big difference.
I love my BP10b fronts and 8b surrounds in my HT. Recently, I tried the 10bs in my 2-channel system again (for the first time since getting new electronics) and love them there also.
My current setup is the 10bs for stereo, the 8bs for HT mains, and my Boston VR2s (previously used for stereo) for HT surrounds. This is a satisfactory arrangement, and I may leave that way. (The Bostons, of course, are also great for stereo, but quite different.)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm running a full 7.1 def tech setup, and love it... well I'm actually using a SVS sub, but it sounds amazing. The bi-polar design really creates a huge enveloping sound field.

A

alesher

Audiophyte
I'm running a full 7.1 def tech setup, and love it... well I'm actually using a SVS sub, but it sounds amazing. The bi-polar design really creates a huge enveloping sound field.
How does your Yamaha Rx1800 match with the Def Techs? I'm considering Yamaha vs. Denon vs. Onkyo and can't decide which for my new Mythos speakers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Where is AcuDefTechGuy, I thought he would bite and chew off a huge chunk of this thread by now?:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
How does your Yamaha Rx1800 match with the Def Techs? I'm considering Yamaha vs. Denon vs. Onkyo and can't decide which for my new Mythos speakers.
Any mid-level receiver would work fine with those speakers, the RX-V1800 would work great with them. The Onkyo TX-SR805 and Denon AVR-2808CI are in similar MSRP area, the Onkyo TX-SR805 has a street price of around $800 sometimes less, and it has a hella-of-a nice amplifier section in it for under a grand.:)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It sounds great, but I'm not using it to power them... I have an Emotiva IPS-1 to supply the juice, but it does sound fantastic, but the 1800 would push them just fine.

M

mikevommit

Audiophyte
i have my BP 10's hooked up to a Manley steelhead pre and a Conrad Johnson prem140 amp and they sound better then my 11,000 doller speakers do, and my BP 10's dont have vifa drivers, and i was wondrering if i should replace them with the vifa drivers? i really like the dubble ring tweeter vifa has in my Von schwikert speaker,just need some help please

M

mikevommit

Audiophyte
just to add if you didnt know old def tech used only vifa drivers

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Where is AcuDefTechGuy, I thought he would bite and chew off a huge chunk of this thread by now?:D
For sure.... I thought he would have been here ranting and raving about "MY PRECIOUS".... hehhehee

He truly has an affinity for those speaks...

I have heard them in a friend of mines small condo, and I thought they sounded fantastic... pretty laid back for my taste, but smooth as a fine cognac...

I heard some of Daryl Stuermer/Another Side of Genesis/ Awesome album for genesis fans... Lives in my home town... I used to date his babysitter in highschool, and hanging out at his house in Whitefish Bay was quite a treat at my young age... but I digress...

That album is smooth as silk, and showed off those Def Tech's really well...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It is shocking that AccuDefTec never responded to this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis