Def Tech StudioMonitor 65 before and after break-in period

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
All is well. How's Metallica doing?

I never really notice a break in with new speakers. I'm pretty sure they sound the same as they did when I hooked them up, which is a good thing. They're very similar to the bookshelves and I *think* (placebo anyone?) I detect more presence in the midrange. Imaging, sq, everything else is still there. Every time I look at my system it puts a smile on my face. :D

I have been experimenting with direct, pure direct and l/r bypass on Audyssey a lot lately. In fact I considered starting a thread about it and still might. I like some things about direct or bypass and I also like things that Audyssey does.

When I'm in direct mode I get more of the mid bass that kicks you in the chest from my towers, which I like, but the rest just doesn't sound as good to me as having Audyssey enabled. Basically, I do like Audyssey's room correction, but it makes my towers sound enemic in the bass department. Even at full range. In direct mode it's actually too much (no sub, just towers), but plugging the ports on the towers tames it down nicely.

Keep an eye out. I think I'm gonna start a thread about this.
Metallica is rich, I am not. Ya know you bring up something interesting with playing around with Auddyssey. I was doing something very dumb with my Yamaha receiver for years. When I ran YPAO I always set it at "natural" but finally decided to try flat and duh I found how dumb I was. What a freaking difference flat over natural was. That really was big. Then after reading what each does duh, natural rolls off the highs and dulls the sound. Flat is the full frequency sound. I felt like a total dummy. That is why you have to read everything in that owners manual and experiment with everything.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Porge how you doing? How's the SVS ultra system doing? Would you say the new towers are fully broken in, any difference to you?
Also I agree with the above statement that the SM65s are the a hidden treasures. I call them the best kept secret in home theater speakers. I really love them so it would take a ridiculous better speaker to get me to spend more money on speakers. I know you've said about the same about the SVS Ultras.

The 65 is at a good price now too, I suppose this is closeout pricing.
https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_735SM65/Definitive-Technology-StudioMonitor-65.html?search=definitive_technology_studiomonitor_65&skipvs=T

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I was told by Def Tech that they are gonna have new studio monitors or bookshelf speakers out this fall. I'll be interested to see what they come up with. That price for the studio monitor speakers now especially the SM 65s is absolute lunacy. If I were building my system now I'd have 5 of them instead of 3 and SM55 surrounds. Definitely great speakers, no doubt about it.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's a tempting buy. The 65's are good speakers.
Oh Porge it'd be great for you got a couple and see what think against the SVS Ultras. That would be awesome.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh Porge it'd be great for you got a couple and see what think against the SVS Ultras. That would be awesome.

A tempting buy if I were still shopping. It would be cool to do like @zieglj01 does. Cycle through different speakers and subjectively listen and compare to my Ultras. 500 bones is a little more than I'd want to spend just to check it out. I would love to get the 65's in my setup and see how they measure up.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
A tempting buy if I were still shopping. It would be cool to do like @zieglj01 does. Cycle through different speakers and subjectively listen. 500 bones is a little more than I'd want to spend just to check it out. I would love to get the 65's in my setup and see how they measure up.
Yeah how do you become a reviewer? That would be my absolute dream job. Not even job, I'd do it for free if these companies would send me free speakers.
I would love to hear your take on the SM 65s though. But yeah 500 bucks is a bit much just to check out some speakers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
A tempting buy if I were still shopping. It would be cool to do like @zieglj01 does. Cycle through different speakers and subjectively listen and compare to my Ultras. 500 bones is a little more than I'd want to spend just to check it out.
Well, I just spent $260.99 to test out the Q A 3020 speakers, as I sent the 2020i back -- however, this is just between me and you -- because I have demoed the Definitive SM 55 a while back -- and I find that the Q A 3020 will not take a back seat to the SM55. However, for now we will keep this silent.:)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I was tempted today to buy 2 more SM 65's to replace the SM 55 surrounds I have. That would give me SM 65's for all 5 channels but I thought better. I was also tempted to buy a few SM 45's just because the deal is so good for the bedroom.

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
Metallica is rich, I am not. Ya know you bring up something interesting with playing around with Auddyssey. I was doing something very dumb with my Yamaha receiver for years. When I ran YPAO I always set it at "natural" but finally decided to try flat and duh I found how dumb I was. What a freaking difference flat over natural was. That really was big. Then after reading what each does duh, natural rolls off the highs and dulls the sound. Flat is the full frequency sound. I felt like a total dummy. That is why you have to read everything in that owners manual and experiment with everything.

I found that when I set my Yamaha to flat I didn't have as much bass coming from my towers as I do setting it to through. Maybe I am not doing something right? Have you tried the through setting to see if you have more bass?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I found that when I set my Yamaha to flat I didn't have as much bass coming from my towers as I do setting it to through. Maybe I am not doing something right? Have you tried the through setting to see if you have more bass?
Oh huh, I don't have subs in my speakers. I have Studio monitor speakers. No subs, but I wonder why that would be? I hope someone had the answer. Might want to find the Def Tech owners thread and ask this question? I know they will give you some ideas on why that might be.

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
Oh huh, I don't have subs in my speakers. I have Studio monitor speakers. No subs, but I wonder why that would be? I hope someone had the answer. Might want to find the Def Tech owners thread and ask this question? I know they will give you some ideas on why that might be.

I don't have subs either, towers. Just curious on if you tried the through settings since it by passes the eq I believe

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
I don't have subs either, towers. Just curious on if you tried the through settings since it by passes the eq I believe
I am still pretty new at this but when I went back and changed the settings from flat to through somehow my tower had more bass.

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
I am still pretty new at this but when I went back and changed the settings from flat to through somehow my tower had more bass.
I am sorry, I have Polk tsx 550's. I just checked your thread and came across your settings on YPAO on my research.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm I'm not sure. I didn't notice less bass sorry. Flat made my entire system sound way better. The SM 65 and SM 55 put out a good amount of bass and that coupled with the PB-1000 is pretty potent. I get a good amount of bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis