Def Tech StudioMonitor 65 before and after break-in period

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well I have been a Def Tech fan for a very, very long time and I bought Studio Monitor 65's for a 5.1 system that has SM 55's in the surround position. The SM 65's sounded awesome out of the box so much so that I thought there would be no real uptick after the break-in period but I could not be more wrong. I bought them 2 and half months ago and they I think are finally fully broken in and they are on a whole other level now. Actually took me by surprise. I read they have a longer break-in period than most speakers so I guess I'm finally hearing them after the full break-in. I mean they are really blowing me away even more now. They are so accurate, so detailed, and so clear it can take you by surprise. I'm really happy with them and the 55's. I think I'm gonna replace my old CLR2000 with another SM 65 for center speaker and see three SM 65's working together up front along with the 55's in surround.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A break-in period like you describe doesn't strike me as plausible. More likely you just became acclimated to the sound.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I read that the break-in period is unusually long, but you could be right for all I know. I just started to notice over the last 3 or 4 days the sound is even better. It certainly could be me becoming more acclimated to their particular sound. Either way I am in heavy with the sound from this system now. Now in a month or two I gotta try a 3rd SM 65 for a center speaker. I will keep it upright because it will fit perfectly under my LCD.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's a good thing to be happy with your selections! Just don't go and listen to better stuff :)

ps Or this could happen
alicegif.gif

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I won't because I can't afford better stuff. :(
Then maybe start saving for your next upgrade....you know it will happen :) Just kidding, you have nice stuff and am looking forward to your comments on changing the center to an identical one to L/R...my usual preference when possible. Just don't tell me you have a DT sub...

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
No DT sub, I learned the hard, expensive way on that one. DT subs aren't that good and they are overpriced to boot. I have a real sub, from a real sub company, SVS PB-1000 and that thing knocks my socks off daily. Gonna upgrade to the SB-2000 eventually. Also I love the idea of using a regular speaker as my center, so pairing another SM 65 with this system will be an interesting experiment. I gotta hear the difference.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had one Paradigm speaker get damaged by a moving company a year or so after getting them and had to have it replaced. When the new one arrived, I wondered if they would sound different since one was brand new (not refurb). They sounded identical.

Using an identical speaker for the center is always a good thing in my book.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I had one Paradigm speaker get damaged by a moving company a year or so after getting them and had to have it replaced. When the new one arrived, I wondered if they would sound different since one was brand new (not refurb). They sounded identical.

Using an identical speaker for the center is always a good thing in my book.
Yeah I really want to try the same speaker for the center as the left and the right. I really think the overall sound will be much, much better. The SM 65's are very, very impressive.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not sure about the whole break in thing with speakers. I guess on the surface it makes sense, but at the end of the day I think you acclimate to the new speakers and just begin to really appreciate them. You have some nice ones. Deftech doesn't make bad speakers, though they do fudge some of their specs which is a knock.

HD speaks truth about the rabbit hole. It's easy to slip into...

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure about the whole break in thing with speakers. I guess on the surface it makes sense, but at the end of the day I think you acclimate to the new speakers and just begin to really appreciate them. You have some nice ones. Deftech doesn't make bad speakers, though they do fudge some of their specs which is a knock.

HD speaks truth about the rabbit hole. It's easy to slip into...
Yeah I don't know why they mess around with the specs. Most people don't buy speakers because of the specs they read in the notes of a speaker. I certainly don't, I'm not smart enough to understand that stuff. I buy Def Tech because they sound great to me, and they are at a price I can afford. The only real spec I know is "sensitivity" which is an easy one even for a truck driver like me. How easy or hard a speaker is to drive. Other than that its based on how good the speakers sound, brand rep, and affordability.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I used to have the 55's, but always wanted the 65's. I'd do exactly what you're doing and get 3 for the front. I don't have the room to stand it up though, which would be perfect. It would have to lay on its side.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I used to have the 55's, but always wanted the 65's. I'd do exactly what you're doing and get 3 for the front. I don't have the room to stand it up though, which would be perfect. It would have to lay on its side.
In a few months I'm gonna do it, and buy a third SM 65. I actually can and will have it standing straight up. Its something I wanted to do for a while now, have 3 identical speakers for left/right and center.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, you're going in the right direction- they should seem to be getting better. :D

Not that you should or have time to waste, but after the speakers have been "broken-in", you could move the same speakers to another room and see if they also get better over time (start the process over again). :D

Salient thing is that they sound even better to you now than before, which is a win-win. :D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well, you're going in the right direction- they should seem to be getting better. :D

Not that you should or have time to waste, but after the speakers have been "broken-in", you could move the same speakers to another room and see if they also get better over time (start the process over again). :D

Salient thing is that they sound even better to you now than before, which is a win-win. :D
I agree, and was surprised how they sound now. Like the other guys said it could be break-in or my ears acclimated to the sound but it could be both. Either way I'm extremely happy with them.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh by the way is there a break-in period on subs too because the SVS PB-1000 really sounds better than when I bought it. I bought both the PB-1000 and the SM 65's around the same time though so maybe its all just coming together and I'm acclimating to the sound. It may just be a perfect storm of awesome sound!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More to a woofer breaking in, but whether you can accurately recall the amount of improvement by comparing it to a memory from a few weeks earlier....meh.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There is some debate about it. Gene talks about it in this video. Right at a minute in. The whole video is pretty interesting if you're a high fi nerd.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
There is some debate about it. Gene talks about it in this video. Right at a minute in. The whole video is pretty interesting if you're a high fi nerd.

Actually I remember watching this awhile back, and I think they are of course correct. Some break-in but really its acclimation. I think we have gotten to the ultimate answer. In any event I'm very happy with my Def Tech SM 65's and 55's too for that matter. Now we just need to get Def Tech to stop fudging some of their statistics because they really design and build fabulous speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually I remember watching this awhile back, and I think they are of course correct. Some break-in but really its acclimation. I think we have gotten to the ultimate answer. In any event I'm very happy with my Def Tech SM 65's and 55's too for that matter. Now we just need to get Def Tech to stop fudging some of their statistics because they really design and build fabulous speakers.
That really is the most important part. That you're happy with them. Like I said, I had the 55's and was pretty happy with them. I know the 65's are a nice step up. I'll bet your system sounds great.

FWIW I swear my Ultras sound better now than when I first got them. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis