lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was on tapatalk earlier so didn't see your specific speakers in your sig. The 800P has powered woofers it seems from the little I found on them (I have trouble calling 8" woofers subs when the speakers only have a lower frequency response of 36hz). Do you, or can you, connect the sub pre-out to these powered woofers? Or do they simply work off of the speaker wire connection from your amp?

ps Yes, I'd set the fronts to small and use the sub but that could be a matter of preference....

Last edited:
B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
The spec. Sheet on them says 200 watt integrated amp and they do have a LFE Jack to run a cable. But I was told instead of using the cable just set the two front speakers to large in the receiver settings

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The spec. Sheet on them says 200 watt integrated amp and they do have a LFE Jack to run a cable. But I was told instead of using the cable just set the two front speakers to large in the receiver settings
You like them set to large better than small? Whether you use the line in connection sort of depends how you want to do bass management. All is a matter of preference no matter how you set it up; the LFE plus Main settings do duplicate bass frequencies between sub and speaker but some like that. I prefer using subs for the low end, one big reason is because you can place them properly for best effect rather than the location your L/R speakers need to be in plus most speakers really need help in that area; I usually use at least dual subs, in my living room I use four plus a tactile transducer in my chair.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I always had them set to small before but to get those small subs in them to work they said set them to large. This is why Iam getting confused. So should I just set all crossovers to 80hz and set to small? and the sub at 120 in the receiver and 80 on the back of the sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Who is telling you to do these things?

If the woofers/amp on your speakers have a line in then it seems there's a choice of using them with the subwoofer pre-out from your avr, or not as you are now. Using the speaker via the speaker level input would be the alternate and is probably a decent plan but I'd still set them to small unless your subs/shakers aren't up to the task, then set them to large.

The LPF of LFE of 120 setting in the avr is just affecting content that has the .1 content (5.1 original content, 7.1, etc); it's not about redirected bass like when you set the speakers to small. I'd turn the low pass filter on the sub to max as the avr is doing the bass management; duplicating the low pass filter in both the avr and sub isn't generally recommended.

Spend some time with them in the various different possible settings and use the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Who is telling you to do these things?

If the woofers/amp on your speakers have a line in then it seems there's a choice of using them with the subwoofer pre-out from your avr, or not as you are now. Using the speaker via the speaker level input would be the alternate and is probably a decent plan but I'd still set them to small unless your subs/shakers aren't up to the task, then set them to large.

The LPF of LFE of 120 setting in the avr is just affecting content that has the .1 content (5.1 original content, 7.1, etc); it's not about redirected bass like when you set the speakers to small. I'd turn the low pass filter on the sub to max as the avr is doing the bass management; duplicating the low pass filter in both the avr and sub isn't generally recommended.

Spend some time with them in the various different possible settings and use the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.
I saw you asked and I might have missed something, but I dont think he's using the rca LFE out?
But I was told instead of using the cable just set the two front speakers to large in the receiver settings
First thing you want to do if you use bass management would be to use the rca connection, then set your mains to small, etc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I saw you asked and I might have missed something, but I dont think he's using the rca LFE out?

First thing you want to do if you use bass management would be to use the rca connection, then set your mains to small, etc.
No currently he apparently uses just the speaker level inputs and running the speakers full range and using LFE plus main setting in the avr. He has separate sub/tactile transducers running off the avr's sub pre-out, but doesn't add the powered woofers running off the sub pre-out. It's a matter of what specific speaker combo he's managing bass with and I think he just needs to try the various possibilities for a while and pick one from preference (at least I don't think there's any measurment or goals based on measurement going on)...

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I was going to run a line from each speaker to the sub out in the reciever. But I called the company that built them and they said simply set them to large than you don't have to run cable. Could I simply run a line from each speaker into the back of my 15inch sub? The line in is going to the receiver but the line out red and white Jack holes are empty wouldn't this be daisy chained?

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
If you can do this would one speaker go to red and the other go to white? Or just use a two female splitter with a male end and just use the red or white Jack hole?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to run a line from each speaker to the sub out in the reciever. But I called the company that built them and they said simply set them to large than you don't have to run cable. Could I simply run a line from each speaker into the back of my 15inch sub? The line in is going to the receiver but the line out red and white Jack holes are empty wouldn't this be daisy chained?
I think they're assuming the speaker frequency range by running speaker wire is the same as running the rca cable, which isn't true if you're using the subwoofer pre-out signal which is limited in frequency range; if you were using a full range signal from another line-out source that would be different. It depends on what signal range you want the speakers' woofers to work with....is there a manual for the speakers explaining connection options?

Does the speaker have both an rca input and output? If it has an output it may well be able to daisy chain to another speaker or maybe your sub. The line in on the sub should come FROM the receiver's line out/subwoofer pre-out (keep the signal path in the right direction, its less confusing).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you can do this would one speaker go to red and the other go to white? Or just use a two female splitter with a male end and just use the red or white Jack hole?
Generally for a subwoofer's input you only need to use one of the inputs; stereo inputs are there for folk with older 2ch gear with limited connection/bass management options. Is one of them labeled an LFE input? If so use that.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
There was no connection setup sheet. So if I run a sub cable from each speaker to the back of the sub line out it should work? Also the guy who setup the sub a few years ago used a splitter with two male ends and a female end and plugged it in the sub would it be better to take that off and just plug the sub cable into the one Jack hole. If Iam correct the receiver does the work not the sub?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There was no connection setup sheet. So if I run a sub cable from each speaker to the back of the sub line out it should work? Also the guy who setup the sub a few years ago used a splitter with two male ends and a female end and plugged it in the sub would it be better to take that off and just plug the sub cable into the one Jack hole. If Iam correct the receiver does the work not the sub?
If you have a subwoofer preouts (or sub out) on your receiver and a lfe input on the backs of your speakers, yes that would work. It shouldn't be a problem to use a splitter (not sure about using multiple splitters tho. In that case maybe daisy chain would be better). If it were me, I'd try it with rca's and your lfe input on the speakers and set the xover to 80 as a starting point.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Thanks everyone for the help! I contacted soundstage and I talked to tech support but they were not much help since they don't make powered towers anymore so they needed a few days to look them up. So I went to visions and talked to a sales guy who owns a pair. he said don't use the LFE in. Now I have them set to small and crossover at 80Hz and they work great! The gain control now works on each tower so I have four eight inch subs in my mains. Next question is sub placement can I ask here or start a thread in the sub section?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks everyone for the help! I contacted soundstage and I talked to tech support but they were not much help since they don't make powered towers anymore so they needed a few days to look them up. So I went to visions and talked to a sales guy who owns a pair. he said don't use the LFE in. Now I have them set to small and crossover at 80Hz and they work great! The gain control now works on each tower so I have four eight inch subs in my mains. Next question is sub placement can I ask here or start a thread in the sub section?
It's your thread. Ask away.

This is the method I used to help with placement of my subs. Looks silly, but it really works.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you're running the speakers set to small nor are using their LFE inputs, how do the woofers in your mains become separate subs? :confused:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you're running the speakers set to small nor are using their LFE inputs, how do the woofers in your mains become separate subs? :confused:
I was gonna ask too, but I dont know if I know enough. If it were me, I'd definitely use the rca for bass management and speakers set to small. Then you can dial them in however you like. Lower for just little support, or some more serious bass by bumping it up a couple db.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
That confuses me as well like the guy said at the store just use the speaker connections so I did that and played some bass in a movie and turned the gain up an down and the woofers did get louder there are lights on the speakers that show green when the amp in the speaker gets a signal. Maybe everything is wired through the amp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That confuses me as well like the guy said at the store just use the speaker connections so I did that and played some bass in a movie and turned the gain up an down and the woofers did get louder there are lights on the speakers that show green when the amp in the speaker gets a signal. Maybe everything is wired through the amp?
Hard to know just how that speaker is setup inside but just because you have them set to small and have a crossover set in the avr doesn't mean the bass units in the speakers are getting no signal. Is the bass coming out of the speakers as significant as out of your subs?

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I will watch a movie and see I have the movie about a submarine lots of depth charges for bass. Also I will hook up the LFE in speakers and see the difference

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis