Connecting sources via HDMI?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just be aware that until you invest in a receiver that can accept HDMI inputs directly, you won't realize an audible improvement. In fact, by going through a headphone jack, it may actually result in a degradation,

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
You can use a BluRay player with an onboard DAC and multi-channel analog outputs.

An Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105 have such analog outputs which allow to playback SACD, DVD-A, Dolby true-HD and DTS HD-master on any non-HDMI receiver that has 6 ch or 8 ch analog inputs. You hook the video strait to TV, and can even connect an extra HDMI device into the Oppo's front HDMI input, and have that device's video bridged while the sound is output decoded by the Oppo's DAC and the sent to the receiver via analog transport.

Settings for down-mixing multi-channel sound streams to stereo are present, and though I have not used them, I'll assume they work for receivers with 2 ch only.

My case is a good example:

In the living room my receiver does not support SACD's output, DSD bitstream, nor DVD-A's MLP, but using an Oppo BDP-103, the image is sent to the AVR's output, and the audio can be decoded by the onboard DAC and sent to the AVR's analog inputs, so I get un-transcoded and unadulterated sound.
I'm also using an older, non-HDMI, multi-channel receiver in the bedroom for SACDs; using a player with HDMI video strait to TV and a onboard DAC with analog multi-channel transport to AVR for sound.

This entails purchasing a premium BluRay device, but It does allow you to keep using your older receiver. I've found it is cheaper to switch to a premium player with onboard DACs and keep my AVRs. Your mileage may vary specially if using a stereo only system, and also depending on the player you use, but that's a decision for you to take...

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Does the Sony BDPS3200 Blu-Ray Player has that onboard DAC like the post by JMJVK?

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
No. Very, very few Blu-ray players offer analog outputs anymore.

Since I am not ready to buy a receiver and since using a 3.5mm in the headphone jack causes degration than are my options limited or if not than what other options do I have? I have the Insignia 40" TV, and I am getting a Sony BDPS3200 Blu-Ray tomorrow.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You don't. Just be aware that the original point of your thread was about you expecting an audible improvement using HDMI. Since your receiver only accepts analog, all this thrashing has been for naught since your receiver cannot handle HDMI and all audio must be converted to analog.

If your other sources offer red/white analog audio outputs you'll be better off feeding them directly to the receiver rather than through the TV.

But, Sony does make a dang nice Blu-ray player with a goodly amount of internet apps. I have two and don't regret them.

When you DO upgrade to an HDMI receiver you will realize an improvement.

Last edited:
P

php111

Junior Audioholic
My WDTV does offer analog the red/white.

My TV I believe does as well. I have the Insignia.

My Blu-Ray Player does not offer red/white as one of my sources.

My WDTV also offers HDMI.

I do see what everyone means with the Blu-Ray feeding into the TV with HDMI and from TV a 3.5mm stereo to red/white on receiver because the sound is low.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
- 3.5mm to RCA is not a good idea.

- If your budget is really, really limited, can't change anything and your receiver is stereo only, get a cheap BluRay player with a stereo analog output, and use that.

- If you can afford it, get a new Audio Video Receiver.

- If you have an emotional attachment to your current analog-only receiver, and/or refuse to change it, but can afford a premium player, get a premium device with multi-channel analog outputs. In that class of devices, I firmly believe the Oppo BDP-103 is currently the best bang for the buck out there.

An example of how one can use a non-HDMI multi-channel receiver with modern sources:

My Secondary multi channel system:
Harman Kardon "AVR-144"
-> 2X JBL S38II, 2X R.Audio R50s, 1 X R.Audio C550.

Sources:
Sony BDP S5100, (Coaxial sound, HDMI to TV)
Harman Kardon DVD-47 (SACD capable) (6 channel analog sound, HDMI to TV)
WD TV Live Hub Media Center 1TB (TOSlink sound, HDMI to TV)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
audioaudio
My WDTV does offer analog the red/white.

My TV I believe does as well. I have the Insignia.

My Blu-Ray Player does not offer red/white as one of my sources.

My WDTV also offers HDMI.

I do see what everyone means with the Blu-Ray feeding into the TV with HDMI and from TV a 3.5mm stereo to red/white on receiver because the sound is low.
If your TV and other sources have red/white analog audio outputs, feed them directly to your amp.

Any sources fed to your TV via HDMI will probably be fed out of the TV's red/white analog audio outputs as well. So, if your TV does, in fact, have red/white analog audio outputs, you're good to go.

Last edited:
P

php111

Junior Audioholic
audioaudioIf your TV and other sources have red/white analog audio outputs, feed them directly to your amp.

Any sources fed to your TV via HDMI will probably be fed out of the TV's red/white analog audio outputs as well. So, if your TV does, in fact, have red/white analog audio outputs, you're good to go.

I am sorry but I'll give it a shot on what I think you mean.

First, run a red/white analog cable from the TV to my receiver.

Second, feed the WDTV Media Player to my TV via HDMI on my TV to HDMI 2.

Third, feed the Blu-Ray to my TV HDMI 1.

Fourth, right now I have a SD cable box so feed that to my receiver with red/white analog audio cable.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
given the options, if you have a red/white analog audio output on your source, feed it directly to your receiver. That should be your first choice.

If that's not an option (like your Blu-Ray player), run the HDMI to your TV and take the TV's red/white analog audio out and feed it to your receiver.

Of course, this assumes your TV has a red/white analog audio output, like you said it does. If not, then you're forced to use your headphone output.

I really can't say it any simpler than that.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Does your receiver have a coaxial input? You can use that for surround if you blu-ray player has coaxial output you're good for now until you get a HDMI receiver.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Does your receiver have a coaxial input? You can use that for surround if you blu-ray player has coaxial output you're good for now until you get a HDMI receiver.

I am not sure if it does. My receiver is the Integra DTM 5.9 and my Blu-ray player is Sony BDPS3200.

selden

selden

Audioholic
Unfortunately, that model of AVR has only analog inputs: red/white stereo audio + yellow composite video, so you'll have to use the red/white outputs from the TV.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Unfortunately, that model of AVR has only analog inputs: red/white stereo audio + yellow composite video, so you'll have to use the red/white outputs from the TV.

My TV is the Insignia 40D510NA15. Could it be done with this TV?

P

php111

Junior Audioholic

Thank you so much and everyone else as well!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis